Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

If you want real beauty buy a Tag Heur which has real craftmanship. This watch meaning the Apple is a complete waste of money.

Why would I want a watch? The ?Watch provides me with so much more and is beautiful at the same time. Beauty is not only in the visuals, beauty is inherent with design (=functionality and how it implemented), haptic and visuals. There is no device on this planet capable to handing it to the ?Watch. I'll admit, Apple could have come up with a better name that is less misleading, but so could they have for the iPhone, wich by no means is merely a phone.

• Reply 142 of 341
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member

"Like virtually everyone else living on Google's Internet, there's no value placed on craft or artisanship."

This line in the article is what's been bugging me for the last week.  There are negative reports of the cost of the Watch, the supposed lack of features, the supposed lack of understanding of why a Watch would be good.

In the end, we don't know if the Apple Watch will be successful or not, but the one thing Apple normally gets right is the crafting of the aesthetics.  And again they are spot on with the Apple Watch.  Apple spend more time and effort getting the build and aesthetics of their devices right.  No other mainstream competitor goes to the same effort.  Yes it makes Apple products cost more than the average, but hey.  If you want it to look good and feel good, then you have to pay the "Apple Tax" to get it.

Do aesthetics and build quality make a difference?  Well of course they do.  You can opt for a cheaper off the conveyor Pebble or Moto 360, but do they look good and feel good on?  Also can you wear any other "smartwatch" for all occassions?  I have yet to see a wearable that can be worn for Sport/Exercise, Day-to-Day & Special Occassion.  The Apple Watch can do all these and not look out of place at all for any of them.  Get yourself an Apple Watch with Sport Band and invest in a leather strap and a Milanese Loop and thats you sorted for all occassions.  By investing $900, you are all set for any occassion.

Of course, the Apple Watch can't compare (prestige-wise) with a Tag/Omega/Rolex.  But don't forget that there is a market for consumers that cannot afford the $3k+ for a "prestige" watch, but can and would be willing to invest up to $1k for a watch that can be worn for all occassions.

I've not even mentioned the benefits of having a "smartwatch".  That just makes the Apple Watch an even more compelling purchase.

• Reply 143 of 341
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Companies like Cartier dissing the Apple Watch as something they aren't worried about because it's sure to fail strike me as companies that are worried because in all likelihood, it won't.

It's a different situation. Before the iPhone smartphones sucked and didn't have a high build quality, before the iPad tablets were god awful, and almost nonexistent. The same cannot be said about timepieces. People that buy high end watches usually own several. People that buy Cartier watches, and buy a Apple Watch will continue to buy Cartier watches. The notion the people will suddenly stop buying high end watches is silly.
  • Reply 144 of 341
    hands sandonhands sandon Posts: 5,270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by unknwntrr View Post

Does nobody here understand the value of beauty? Certainly, i don't know you, but I know humans in general well enough to know that there are basically two groups when it comes to visual esthetics. Those who see and those who shake their heads. The same goes for music, tone-deafness is a real, scientifically proven thing, it would be interesting to do proper research on esthetic-blindness. I don't want to judge based on these factors, its an observation that i would like to see looked into.

In any case, the ?Watch is visually pleasing, its shapes cause feelings of comfort and relaxation in those who can actually appreciate it. And those are the people that will buy it and smile whenever they look at it. If you are incapable of appreciating it, you are welcome to not buy it.

As to the research investment: Apple did invest a lot into research through its research kit, this software is worth millions and Apple is making it open source and gives it away to any researcher looking to conduct studies. That alone is a contribution to science that is unheard of from any tech company ever. So by buying an Apple watch you are investing into medical research, by helping the company developing new standards and tools, to do so more intensely.

Your bitterness toward ?Watch wearers is unwarranted, but it gives an insight into your values and thinking. You are clearly unaware of the indirect contributions that happen anywhere but in the spotlight, but maybe you will read this and instead of hating me more, think again and reconsider.

If Apple cared one jot about peoples health they would have paid their fair share of taxes which are so badly needed around the world to help pay for medical care. They suck in the money and keep it like a vampire. So many people give Apple a pass simply because they like their products. If Apple were to pay their fair share I'd give them credit, but they have masterminded many of the schemes that are used to avoid paying taxes. Their heart is in their wallet make no mistake. Do you know how many people have suffered because of their tax avoidance? Do you know how many people might be alive today if they had just paid their fair share? Do you even care?

• Reply 145 of 341
    If Apple cared one jot about peoples health they would have paid their fair share of taxes which are so badly needed around the world to help pay for medical care. They suck in the money and keep it like a vampire. So many people give Apple a pass simply because they like their products. If Apple were to pay their fair share I'd give them credit, but they have masterminded many of the schemes that are used to avoid paying taxes. Their heart is in their wallet make no mistake. Do you know how many people have suffered because of their tax avoidance? Do you know how many people might be alive today if they had just paid their fair share? Do you even care?

Cue up the 'what's a fair share?' retorts.
  • Reply 146 of 341
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Oh good, another one of those DED pieces that starts off talking about something interesting before descending into a meandering rant about Apple's competitors. I actually thought that the final few paragraphs were going to be an interesting comparison between the gold Apple Watch and Vertu but nope.

• Reply 147 of 341
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    richl wrote: »
    <p>Oh good, another one of those DED pieces that starts off talking about something interesting before descending into a meandering rant about Apple's competitors. I actually thought that the final few paragraphs were going to be an interesting comparison between the gold Apple Watch and Vertu but nope.</p>
    But that's DED'S mo. Starts off good then goes off for a rant against google/android add in copious links to articles and editorials that he has written to back up his own view point before returning to the topic. All in an amount of words that would put war and peace to shame.
    It's a shame as he could be so much better but he does achieve the click bait quota for AI.
  • Reply 148 of 341
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    You do know that you can replicate essentially the same contract by paying full price to ATT (or Apple) for an iPhone, then paying $200 to your credit card company in the first credit card bill, with the remainder split as equal payments over the subsequent 23 months. Right?

And where does the interest factor in?

Ah, I was waiting for that lazy question.

You can figure it out. chadbagabove has essentially done the calculations for you.
  • Reply 149 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

I thought the iPhone would be a winner, the iPad a winner but the watch is a complete joke, and will rightly be ridiculed off the wrist of the wearer unless it literally is truly helping them with some kind of medical condition, and even then most people will question why they needed to splash out so much on the watch. That money would in most cases be much better spent giving it to a research medical charity. I hope Apple donates all the profits of this excessive device to those who really need medical care. To those that flash that ugly glass from under their cuffs, you deserve nothing but pity.

I guess you fail to see why you should buy a 2-carat diamond ring ($20,000) when a 2-carat cubic zirconia ($15) would do for your wife.  After all, diamonds mean nothing to you.  And they shouldn't be worth anything to your wife.

I guess you fail to see why people buy a BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus or Chevy Corvette when your Chevy Chevette does the same thing when commuting to work.

I guess you fail to see why people would buy an Apple Watch when your $35 Timex serves "just" as well.

Apple will NOT donate all the profits for the Apple Watch. It does employee-matching for donations to charity.  Apple churns its profits back to making profit - as any smart business does - and giving back profits to its owners (shareholders) - as any smart business does.

Experts in the watch industry are breath-taken by the Apple Watch.  They also know it will be very very popular.

I am sure the 400 MILLION WEALTHY CHINESE are going to want ONLY the GOLD Apple Watch Edition models.  Gold is their favorite color.

• Reply 150 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davygee View Post

Of course, the Apple Watch can't compare (prestige-wise) with a Tag/Omega/Rolex.  But don't forget that there is a market for consumers that cannot afford the $3k+ for a "prestige" watch, but can and would be willing to invest up to $1k for a watch that can be worn for all occassions.

The Apple Watch will already have the prestige of Tag/Omega/Rolex. In fact, those brands for the vast majority of people will take a notch back into the past tense.

• Reply 151 of 341
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    cash907 wrote: »
    For one, this needs to be marked as an Editorial.

Two: I notice they don't compare smart watches before the Apple Watch. Perhaps it will be more telling if they compared Smart Watch band prices before the Apple Watch, as that is likely the only thing that will change.

• Reply 152 of 341
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    rebe1 wrote: »
    I'm sure you were lamenting the release of the iPad as well.

Probably the iPod!
  • Reply 153 of 341

A dumb question to all Runners, who might buy Apples watch? Where are you going to put your iPhone, while your running?

• Reply 154 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

They'll sell 5 million sport models by Q4 alone.

An even if Apple does sell that many AppleWatches it will still be deemed a failure because it's likely some analyst or pundit said Apple would sell 20 million in that time period.  I doubt anyone outside of the consumer will consider AppleWatch a success.  If the tech industry wants AppleWatch to be a failure then that's what it will be considered as.  Take as an example the iPad.  It's said that its failure has only taken longer than some people expected and even now is considered a product past its prime soon to be eclipsed by Windows tablets.  That's how it is with Apple.  Some people believe that even its greatest successes are precursors to failure.

• Reply 155 of 341
    ascii wrote: »

One can imagine in 10 years time, miniaturization will be such that you will have a little pin that you clip to your collar, or shirt, that has all the functionality of today's Watch. So all Apple's future computers will be jewellery in one form or another.

Very interesting observation. ^^
  • Reply 156 of 341
    Looks like the Samsung or Nokia phone lineup before iPhone hit.

solipsismy wrote: »
    I thought the same thing, but only about Nokia. In fact, I just looking up photos of Nokia phones to post.

You really think Cartier is going to stop making those timepieces, and follow Apple's design?
  • Reply 157 of 341
    solipsismy wrote: »
    pistis wrote: »
    I hope not because governments will enforce it

1) :sigh: You watch too many movies.

2) Why exactly do you think they enforce glucose, heart rate, and other health tracking when they can't even properly enforce common vaccinations? Why would you care?

3) Are you thinking they will securely sneak GPS trackers in subnormal and oral health devices? Don't you think it would be easily found out if they did? Are you not aware your internet connected devices can be used to track you?

1) He has a very good point there. Perhaps not in the US, but I can see this happening in many countries.

2) Many countries around the world do enforce vaccinationas, and an even larger number require it. Just as with taxes, the fact that you make the something the law does not mean that everyone falls in line.

3) That's a tougher one, but I can also see some version of this happening depending on how terrorism starts to affect our day to day lives, i.e., not just in a mega form in the big cities.
  • Reply 158 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Your taxes are spent on war, your health care is payed through credits. Your government would spend more on war if it could and still take out loans to finance health. And then there is the thing about food. Almost all healthcare spending is on obesity or other malnutrition diseases, caused by people eating cheap crap provided to them by companies that don't pay their own workforce half a minimal wage. If you want to be mad at someone about US health problems, try Walmart, McDonalds, BurgerKing etc.

Yes, Apple could pay more taxes. Definitely, but you know as well as I do that those taxes would immediately be use to wage more wars, grow the military further and pay politicians to pay bankers higher wages.

• Reply 159 of 341
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    pfisher wrote: »

We just won't know about the watch and what impact it has.

However, to most people:

1. It is too expensive (bang for the buck - just an iPhone extension (which HAS its advantages).
    2. The watch doesn't do much.
    3. Not worth the expense over a regular watch
    4. Who really wants to get their messages and emails and alerts constantly. When you put your phone in your pocket, it's kind of gone into information hibernation and we get a short break. 
    5. Again, its too expensive and Apple is nickel and diming people over the increase in size by $50.

Of course, if Steve were running the show, there would be exactly one watch. It would probably be black (maybe a white one). And he wouldn't be calling into Cramer's Mad Money show (desperation, Tim?). Or doing some cheesy announcement at the Apple event recently. Or wouldn't be talking up the digital crown so much then not talking about it.

Right now, the watch is a vanity project. To me, at least.

1. iPod and iPhone were considered too expensive when they were first announced.

2. You haven't used the watch yet.

3. Same thing was said about the iPod, iPhone, iPad.

4. Wrong. An actual user of the watch said he used his iPhone less and isn't constantly bombarded with alerts on his watch. By using his phone less, he isn't distracted by other apps and time wasters.
    5. Apple charged $200 more for a black version of a MacBook under Jobs.

6. You don't know Jobs. You don't know what he might do or say now.
    hentaiboy wrote: »

Like like $350 Apple watch.
    cali wrote: »
    I still stand by what I said at the original ?Watch announcement.

It's just not that revolutionary and it's functions can be achieved by a garbage android.

It's design is old.

The digital crown looks tedious and annoying to use. I hope it's not.

It needs to be tethered to iPhone to function.

I was hoping to see an iPod/iPhone/iPad scale revolution :(

Note: I DID NOT say it wouldn't sell. I DID NOT say it should run android.
    Tim Cook isn't a Jobs wannabe.

Morons I swear...

The first iPod needed a Mac.
  • Reply 160 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I'm not sure that it will work out that way (but, hey, what do I know!). There'll always be a market for mechanical/non-smart watches, and funnily enough the Apple Watch has made me more interested in wearing a watch than I have been for years. I'll definitely get an Apple Watch at some stage, but I'm also looking at some watches that are out there these days, other than the usual brands, such as those by www.autodromo.com

That is what has happened to me also. I was looking at Hamilton but will also check out Autodromo. There is something magical about automatic watches! I'd like an Apple Watch for bicycling telemetry but for everyday I want a nice mechanical watch to replace my Quartz Timex.