Who's afraid of the Apple Watch?

Comments

• Reply 281 of 341
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    pistis wrote: »
    Most of the posts read: I don't like the watch because: rant rant rant - therefore it will fail . False opinion masquerading as logic. Forgive them they know not what they do! I will wager anyone $100 it will sell more in the first weekend than the entire smartwatch industry sold last year!

I am pretty sure it will sell well. I know i am buying 2 one for my wife and one for me. And i know two of my friends are getting one too.
  • Reply 282 of 341
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    idrey wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it will sell well. I know i am buying 2 one for my wife and one for me. And i know two of my friends are getting one too.

I know about a dozen people that are buying it immediately. Most, if not all, are getting the Sport version, and now the Edition (I guess I don't know the right people :\). I couple want the SS version but I'm not sure if they are committed to it since they want one of the metal bands which cost considerably more. If Apple had announced an upgrade path they would probably jump on it without hesitation. I think one would even have bought Edition, and I know a couple that would buy Edition if they offered a precise metal other than yellow or rose gold.

I'm still not sold. I'll have to put it through it's paces first in the store. If I do like it I think I'll buy the black 42mm Sport.
  • Reply 283 of 341
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Always? What is the last rap song that talks about Audemar Piquet? Was this before or after the ?Watch launched? (Hint: It's before)

2) I bet you rap songs will mention ?Watch soon enough.
    :sigh: Are you writing this nonsense just to sound like an idiot? How the **** is improving on what you do not a change to what you do? And if you're doing it as a reaction to some altered condition you're adapting.

Insults are unnecessary. At this point let's just agree to disagree.
  • Reply 284 of 341
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Anyone who can't adapt to changes are in danger. The use of the qualifier "immediate" is pointless. We only have to look at Blackberry and Nokia as examples of companies that thrived because the iPhone came into existence only to find this new growth from new interest in the smartphone market was too be very short-lived due to their inferiority. The danger immediately happened when the paradigm shifted (if not earlier when they started assuming their region would never end), but it only became obvious to the masses when their sales finally started to drop.

With the traditional watch makers it will be a much, much walk into irrelevancy, but like nearly every job that has come before our time, it will reduced and become a rare or forgotten art. The younger generation aren't going to want to wear a heavy ass piece of equipment on their arm that is only good for telling time… which is why watches stopped being worn those under 40yo in the first place. We'll still see mechanical watches sold and we may even see more sold at the higher price points as a percentage of the total market, but the dam has cracked and it's only a matter of time before it bursts. As Steve Jobs said "death will take care of that."

Wearable smart CE is coming, and the wrist being a wonderful area for something that needs to be 1) out of the way, 2) in view, and 3) easily accessible with a free hand, it's not likely going to give up that area, even as wearable smart CE moves to other areas of your person. That means 1 of 2 spots will be for ?Watch and its compatriots, that won't be used for an analog or quartz watch. I guess you could use the opposing wrist or put it next to it, but I don't think that's likely.

One thing I'd like to see when batteries are a bit better and miniaturisation has increased, are small bracelet jewelry with only say, SIRI, haptic and maybe a small long thin OLED screen under the wrist for notifications. That way, you could get notifications, answer calls and get info from Siri while still having something very small. I don't see this happening about 6 years. Battery tech is the main problem.

Though, for a device like this, it probably needs only 1/3 the battery capacity of the smallest watch. 70 mah, since this device would not need to worn all day long and the screen is 1/3 to 1/2 the size and used less extensively (this is obviously a thing you put to go out). So, maybe a bit less than 6 years if current battery tech finally come to be!

This thing would be very light, have a restricted feature set, and a high fashion quotient. No fully featured watches with a large screen will ever have the fashion look of a finely crafted gold or silver bracelet. Its not a tech problem they can solve :-). I'm all for the Apple Watch. Sometimes, you'll want your notifications or whatever and wear something daintier :-).

• Reply 285 of 341
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    I know about a dozen people that are buying it immediately. Most, if not all, are getting the Sport version, and now the Edition (I guess I don't know the right people :\). I couple want the SS version but I'm not sure if they are committed to it since they want one of the metal bands which cost considerably more. If Apple had announced an upgrade path they would probably jump on it without hesitation. I think one would even have bought Edition, and I know a couple that would buy Edition if they offered a precise metal other than yellow or rose gold.

I'm still not sold. I'll have to put it through it's paces first in the store. If I do like it I think I'll buy the black 42mm Sport.

Since is the first version i'll get the sport and wait and see how it evolves. I do want the stainless, but i'll wait for the next one for the stainless. :) i cant wait! (Edition is too much, but lucky those who can get it with no worries)
  • Reply 286 of 341
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Insults are unnecessary. At this point let's just agree to disagree.

I said your comment was idiotic, not you. I'm a big fan of you, just not these last couple conversations we've had.

Note: If you think my comments are idiotic, myopic, bigoted, or anything less than what you believe I am capable, then please don't hesitate to me know. I can't learn if my stupid comments are given a pass.
    foggyhill wrote: »
    One thing I'd like to see when batteries are a bit better and miniaturisation has increased, are small bracelet jewelry with only say, SIRI, haptic and maybe a small long thin OLED screen under the wrist for notifications. That way, you could get notifications, answer calls and get info from Siri while still having something very small. I don't see this happening about 6 years. Battery tech is the main problem.

Though, for a device like this, it probably needs only 1/3 the battery capacity of the smallest watch. 70 mah, since this device would not need to worn all day long and the screen is 1/3 to 1/2 the size and used less extensively (this is obviously a thing you put to go out). So, maybe a bit less than 6 years if current battery tech finally come to be!

This thing would be very light, have a restricted feature set, and a high fashion quotient. No fully featured watches with a large screen will ever have the fashion look of a finely crafted gold or silver bracelet. Its not a tech problem they can solve :-). I'm all for the Apple Watch. Sometimes, you'll want your notifications or whatever and wear something daintier :-).

Slightly off topic: I think the one area where Apple could be outmatched is with smart bands. To me, this seems like the one area Apple may resist and where other smartwatch makers could gain a lead.

Or perhaps they did think of that which is why they designed their watch band to start inside the casing.
  • Reply 287 of 341
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I said your comment was idiotic, not you. I'm a big fan of you, just not these last couple conversations we've had.

Note: If you think my comments are idiotic, myopic, bigoted, or anything less than what you believe I am capable, then please don't hesitate to me know. I can't learn if my stupid comments are given pass.

I enjoy our discussions. There are going to be 2 types of people that will buy the Apple Watch, those that haven't purchased a watch in years, and those that purchase multiple watches. The watch makers don't care for the former, and I don't believe the latter will stop buying high end pieces simply because they purchased an Apple Watch.

If watch makers are to adapt they shouldn't rush it, and make a device that people want to buy, but I have doubts that they ever can especially if they go Android.
  • Reply 288 of 341
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator

Note: If you think my comments are idiotic, myopic, bigoted, or anything less than what you believe I am capable, then please don't hesitate to me know. I can't learn if my stupid comments are given pass.
    Slightly off topic: I think the one area where Apple could be outmatched is with smart bands. To me, this seems like the one area Apple may resist and where other smartwatch makers could gain a lead.

Or perhaps they did think of that which is why they designed their watch band to start inside the casing.

I suspect Apple won't get Keurig'd (reference to the many unlicensed cups that work in the company's coffee makers). Those six contacts inside the watch band slot on one side of the watch are likely going to accept only licensed watch bands, just as 3rd parties must license their technology to properly interface with Apple's lightning port.
  • Reply 289 of 341
    Those six contacts inside the watch band slot on one side of the watch are likely going to accept only licensed watch bands, just as 3rd parties must license their technology to properly interface with Apple's lightning port.

I hadn't considered Apple might try to, for lack of a better term, "DRM" their watch bands, but upon thinking about it I would bet against anything in SW that will prevent Apple Watch from working if a non-authorized band is used.
  • Reply 290 of 341

What a rambling load of (mostly) rubbish. 

Quote:

Up until Apple Watch, there's been nothing really new or novel about watches...

Only if you ignore the other smartwatches that have been out for, in some cases, years now.

Quote:

We can now tap a button and ask Siri to do our math

...Just like Android Wear users have been able to do since last summer.

Quote:

Google has done nothing to impose any minimum standards for workers rights or environmental protections under Android

Is this really a road we want to explore? This time two years ago Apple was still doing damage control from reports of poor working conditions and child labor at Foxconn. Additionally, while it would certainly be nice if Google did this, they simply aren't the ones manufacturing the devices. Google is just creating the OS, and allowing manufacturers to use it. Unfortunately, some of those manufacturers make crap devices. Don't like crap devices? Don't buy crap devices. 

Quote:

Google isn't doing anything to leverage Android for good, despite being most culpable as the cheapskate platform that's all but encouraging low wages

Even more embarrassing is that similar Chinese labor is being used by Apple, who is raking in over 80% of all U.S. Smartphone profits. They can afford to provide better working conditions. Why don't they?

Quote:

[The tired old picture of Samsung phones and tablets before and after the iPhone/iPad]

6 years later, and you're still beating this dead horse. Nevermind that the Samsung devices in the "after" pictures have been manipulated in some way to look more like Apple's devices. The home screen of that Galaxy S, filled purposefully with app icons and no widgets. The Tab 10.1 with app icons arranged to look like the iPad's default, complete with a carefully chosen wallpaper to emulate the "shelf" at the bottom of the screen. And I guess we're ignoring the black touchscreen phones that Samsung proved they were developing in 2006, before the iPhone was announced. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree for even a second that the iPhone dramatically changed the design direction of mainstream smartphones. But if we fast forward to today, the tables have turned a bit. Why not show us a handy graphic comparing the screen sizes of flagship smartphones, with Apple playing catch-up to the other manufacturers? Why not show us a list of the iPhone 6's new features, and how so many of them have been available in Android for years now?

Quote:

...such as in the barren assortment of good apps in Google Play...

Are you writing from four years ago? There are very few widely-used apps for iOS that aren't available for Android.

Quote:

...the years of disfunction haunting Google Wallet...

I'll give you this one. Most U.S. Carriers disabled Google Wallet in some capacity. This is one area where Android admittedly falls short; they simply don't have the stranglehold on carriers like Apple does. It's a side-effect of having an OS that's available on a variety of devices, instead of just one or two a year from a single OEM.

Quote:

Let's ignore the fact that original Apple computers from just 40 years ago now sell at auction for over $900,000, a pretty steep appreciation in comparison to typical collector watches

Are you really trying to compare a historically important prototype/first run device to a mass-produced watch? 

Quote:

The seething contempt for Apple and virtually everything it does--from giving users a free U2 album to developing a classier watch than anyone else in the tech world even knew how to conceptualize...

A free U2 album that iPhone buyers couldn't readily remove if they didn't want it. That's not a gift, that's bloatware. As for "classier", that's in the eye of the beholder. I think it looks like the marshmallow in a s'mores. 

Quote:

Reading the claptrap spewed about Apple from virtually every columnist or blogger with a spleen to vent, 

Oh please. For every article bemoaning the Apple Watch's price, you'll find two that treat it like the most innovative thing ever. Tech writers are backtracking on their own previously held opinions to support this thing. 

• Reply 291 of 341

TheWhiteFalcon, I'm sorry but you're an effing idiot!

• Reply 292 of 341
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    what on earth are you talking about? apple is the one of the largest taxpayers in the US, unlike those other notorious US firms who had a $0 tax obligation or in some cases were owed taxes (remember the GE scandal? sure you do). 

youre confusing the offshore money they own from products they built and sold...offshore. the US has no stake to that income. apple paid taxes as governed by the nations where its held. the US would like apple to repatriate it to the US but hasnt lowered the tax rate on doing so to something less than income-tax levels. without an incentive theres no reason for apple to willingly lose 1/3 of its foreign-earned savings.

You are correct. According to Forbes, Apple has the third largest tax expense for a US corporation after Exxon and Chevron. They had a tax expense of 14.1 billion dollars. The only other tech firms in the top 10 are IBM and Microsoft at 9 and 10. Apple paid roughly 3x the taxes of either of them.
  • Reply 293 of 341
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    pistis wrote: »
    Most of the posts read: I don't like the watch because: rant rant rant - therefore it will fail . False opinion masquerading as logic. Forgive them they know not what they do! I will wager anyone $100 it will sell more in the first weekend than the entire smartwatch industry sold last year!
    More than 6.8 million? (http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/25/just-68m-smartwatches-sold-in-2014-at-an-average-price-of-189)

I'll take that bet.
  • Reply 294 of 341
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Absolutely wrong.  The watch case would be much bigger.  Its simple geometry.  The case would be bigger on all four sides.

Circles don't have four sides :p

• Reply 295 of 341
    gbakergbaker Posts: 6member
    I see that the latest iOS8.2 automatically installs an un-removeable app for the iWatch. Apple has taken liberties that I did not want. I do not plan to buy the rather absurdly priced Apple watch. I do not know how much of my expensively scant 16GB of memory the iWatch app is taking, if it is turned on or off nor why Apple took the arcane idea that those who use an iPhone would even consider an iWatch.
    In the 8.2 upgrade note, Apple did not even bother to mention the iPhone app being installed. Apple is up to their ass in attitude with their "we know better than you idiots" schemes.
    Another sneaky Apple trick. I am getting somewhat tired of Apples new tricks. It is becoming a clown circus and we are all suckers for thinking they have some "user benefit in mind".
    Suggestion; Don't install iOS 8.2 unless you are OK with being an Apple suckupper.
  • Reply 296 of 341
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I suspect Apple won't get Keurig'd (reference to the many unlicensed cups that work in the company's coffee makers). Those six contacts inside the watch band slot on one side of the watch are likely going to accept only licensed watch bands, just as 3rd parties must license their technology to properly interface with Apple's lightning port.

This is interesting.  As can be seen on the image above.  The Apple Watch has six pins slots under the bottom strap connector channel.  These ae supposedly a six-dot brass contact.  It may in fact only be for Apple Store Diagnostic teams to check up on the Watch etc, but seeing as it's contact rather than a slot, it means that the diagonstic tools would have to slide in similar to how the strap does.  This opens up the functionality of the contact further.  There may be similar contacts on all straps thus stopping 3rd parties from mass producing cheap straps for the Watch.  This may also mean that Apple Watch collection straps (ie. Milanese Loop, Classic Buckle & Link Bracelet) may only be programmed to fit the Stainless Steel Collection Watch, so that you can't just buy a Watch Sport and then attach a Milanese Loop to it.

If there is the ability to have data collection from the contact, then further down the line, there is the possibility that Apple releases new straps with additional sensors built into the strap.  If this is the case, then they have managed to produce a much more future proof device.

Also, note that the Pebble Time has a similar port as well.

• Reply 297 of 341
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gbaker View Post

I see that the latest iOS8.2 automatically installs an un-removeable app for the iWatch. Apple has taken liberties that I did not want. I do not plan to buy the rather absurdly priced Apple watch. I do not know how much of my expensively scant 16GB of memory the iWatch app is taking, if it is turned on or off nor why Apple took the arcane idea that those who use an iPhone would even consider an iWatch.

In the 8.2 upgrade note, Apple did not even bother to mention the iPhone app being installed. Apple is up to their ass in attitude with their "we know better than you idiots" schemes.

Another sneaky Apple trick. I am getting somewhat tired of Apples new tricks. It is becoming a clown circus and we are all suckers for thinking they have some "user benefit in mind".

Suggestion; Don't install iOS 8.2 unless you are OK with being an Apple suckupper.

Did you specifically want the Podcasts / Calendar / Clock / Stocks / Weather / Maps or Game Center App?  Apple automatically include Apps within their iOS to aid users.  Yes they could go down the route of a bare-bones OS and you need to install the particular App you want or need, but they have made the decision to make it easier for users.

Don't get me wrong.  You should be able to delete the App if you don't want it, similar to the Stocks or Game Center App, but they want them accessible to users of their iOS.

• Reply 298 of 341
    You lost me at "leader of the free world". Pretentious verbiage and infantile jingoism, good combo.
  • Reply 299 of 341
    gbaker wrote: »

Have you ANY clue as to how much storage is remaining on a 16GB Windows phone after the OS is installed? How about in an Andriod phone? If you did, you'd find it just as laughable to whine about the small amount of storage consumed by Apple's non-removable built-in apps as I do.
  • Reply 300 of 341
    Quote:

Originally Posted by davygee View Post

Quote:

This is interesting.  As can be seen on the image above.  The Apple Watch has six pins slots under the bottom strap connector channel.  These ae supposedly a six-dot brass contact.  It may in fact only be for Apple Store Diagnostic teams to check up on the Watch etc, but seeing as it's contact rather than a slot, it means that the diagonstic tools would have to slide in similar to how the strap does.  This opens up the functionality of the contact further.  There may be similar contacts on all straps thus stopping 3rd parties from mass producing cheap straps for the Watch.  This may also mean that Apple Watch collection straps (ie. Milanese Loop, Classic Buckle & Link Bracelet) may only be programmed to fit the Stainless Steel Collection Watch, so that you can't just buy a Watch Sport and then attach a Milanese Loop to it.

If there is the ability to have data collection from the contact, then further down the line, there is the possibility that Apple releases new straps with additional sensors built into the strap.  If this is the case, then they have managed to produce a much more future proof device.

Also, note that the Pebble Time has a similar port as well.

I had a dream...

About Apple incorporating smart watch bands into the Watch design. Here's my post from April 2014 on the topic:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/178071/apple-to-sell-two-sizes-of-iwatch-with-flexible-amoled-displays-this-fall-prices-to-reach-thousands-of-dollars#post_2513582

In full:

I have this dream about the iWatch. The band could be where certain sensors are incorporated. So a diabetic would buy the iWatch body/face with the diabetic sensor band. That band might cost a pretty penny and be subsidized by insurance. A fitness junkie or athlete buys the sports band. Someone who merely wants an iWatch for its notifications capabilities and ability to run their iPhone Apps remotely would get the band with no special sensors. And some folks will get multiple bands, sports band for the daytime, dress band for evening, different colors, etc. and perhaps all the bands incorporate the battery, so when you switch bands you get a full charge (presumably your extra bands are stored atop your included inductive charger).