Alleged 'iPhone 6c' rear shell suggests Apple will repackage iPhone 5s parts

Comments

• Reply 41 of 100
    sog35 wrote: »
    Bingo.

I have a 5; I'm not going to buy a rebadged 5s. Latest tech only, please.

Then you need to step up to the plate and buy a 6S or 6S+

So I will; a 6s in a 4.2" size.
  • Reply 42 of 100
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Everything will have NFC from this point forward. They would not introduce a new model without Apple Pay capability.

They don't introduce new model but REBADGE the old model 5S with 5C case. I don't see this new C baby even have NFC. Apple didn't add Touch ID in 5C before for the same reason: avoid redesign and manufacture cost.

• Reply 43 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Wrong.  iPhone 5C was a rebadge of the previous years top-tier phone.

If iPhone 6C is a rebage of the previous years top-tier phone it would have NFC

I didn't say this will be a rebadge of 6, but 5S. Therefore, my prediction: no NFC. Bottom line, when Apple rebadge something, they don't redesign the hardware. Adding NFC into a 5S and wrap it in polycarbonate is considered a redesign since they have to implement the NFC chip and board with NFC antenna somehow.

• Reply 44 of 100
    Quote:

Why would they rebage a TWO YEAR OLD PHONE?

The pattern is rebaging a ONE YEAR OLD PHONE.

When the 5C came out it was a rebage of the 5 which was one year old.

Sog, according to this picture, it's a damn 4" phone. What do you think? They are killing the current 5C and moving 5S down to the third tier, so plastic 5S for third tier is still easier to do than keeping the current 5S since 5C chassis is already done, just minor modification on the case flash hole.

Since Apple don't want 5C design to go away, updating it with 5S parts is no brainer. And next year, they just add NFC chip in that 5C and just keep it there for another year.

• Reply 45 of 100
    Quote:

and what about the mid-tier? What will that be?

And why can't they fit the iPhone6 internals into the 4 inch case?

That's not what I can predict, but Apple logistic group. We may see 5.5" 6S+, 4.7" 6S in top tier, current 6+ and or 6 in mid tier and this humble plastic 5S in third tier. Sometimes, Apple don't want to do much to their line up causing confusions like Samsung.

Look at the 6 board, do you think it can fit in 4" chassis without redesigning it?

• Reply 46 of 100
    Quote:

It just does not make any sense to put all that effort in making a new case and then putting a 2 year old phone in it. And it makes less sense since that low-tier phone will only sell for 1 year.  It is not worth the added cost to do so.

They don't make new case since 5C case is already designed to fit both 5S and 5 chassis since 2 years ago. Modifying the flash hole is just nothing through CNC machine program. 

• Reply 47 of 100
    ciacia Posts: 267member

Delete this post.

• Reply 48 of 100
    Quote:

They will not sell the 6 for $99.  I can guarantee it.  No way on earth.  

The canibalization will be to great from people opting for the $99 iPhone6 instead of the iPhone6S.  That's why Apple discountiuned the iPhone5 when they brought out the 5S.  Before that about 50% of the phones sold were the older models.  That was down to about 40% with the 5S and not its about 35% with the 6.  

So under your plan what happens to the iPhone5S plastic next year?  It would be the bottom-tier according to your plan.  Do they cancel it in 2016?  Why go through all that trouble for a phone that only sells for ONE YEAR?

Did we say the same thing for 4S and 4? Just a Siri capable wouldn't sell much and everyone would get 4? What's the result: 4S sale number hit the roof.

People pay for 6S for better CPU, GPU and maybe RAM, Force Touch and who knows what else: 4K recording?...just like they did for 5S over 5 or 4S over 4.

• Reply 49 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Nope.  You need to look at the breakdown when the iPhone5 came about.  About 50% of the units sold were 4S/4.  That is NOT good for business.

When Apple changed there strategy with the 5S/5C/4S lineup more people bought the top tier phone.  Older model units were only about 40%.   With the iPhone6 it got even better with only 30-35% units were the older models

I didn't realize Apple published those detailed breakdowns. Where can we go to have a look at them?
  • Reply 50 of 100
    Quote:

Nope.  You need to look at the breakdown when the iPhone5 came about.  About 50% of the units sold were 4S/4.  That is NOT good for business.

When Apple changed there strategy with the 5S/5C/4S lineup more people bought the top tier phone.  Older model units were only about 40%.   With the iPhone6 it got even better with only 30-35% units were the older models.

No way on earth does Apple go back to selling 1 year old phones for $99 that uses the same body style as the current top-tier phone.

You missed my point: iPhone 4 with the same exact body as 4S at $99 didn't cannibalize 4S just like 6 will not do to 6S. 

As much as I would like to see 4.7" 6C in mid-tier to differentiate it from 6S, I don't think Apple would go through more trouble to do it.

The last thing Apple want to do is confusing customers in their line up.

• Reply 51 of 100
    Quote:

and what about the mid-tier? What will that be?

And why can't they fit the iPhone6 internals into the 4 inch case?

It just does not make any sense to put all that effort in making a new case and then putting a 2 year old phone in it. And it makes less sense since that low-tier phone will only sell for 1 year.  It is not worth the added cost to do so.

But if you put a 1 year old phone in the new case it makes sense since you can charge $99 the first year and $0 the second year to spread the cost of the new design.

Seems very logical to have a 4.7" 6c at the $99 price point. The polycarbonate and year old internals would be enough of a differentiator from the aluminum 6s (especially if Force Touch comes into play). I think Apple has more to gain (android switchers, new users) from a $99 4.7" iPhone 6c then it will lose to cannibalization from people that would otherwise go with the 6s.

• Reply 52 of 100
    Quote:

Apple does not.   But statistical sampling and polls prove they are selling more top end phones since they switched to plastic phones with the 5S/5C.  Also Apple's rising gross margins also are an indirect proof.

You point is Apple made lower tier model less desirable so they can sell more top tiers?

Maybe, but that's not only reason. People who want latest model would never mind if their latest phone look almost identical the previous year but the real use of it. Did you agree that every "S" version outperformed the fck out of previous non "S" brother? That's the reason people bought S version: performance.

• Reply 53 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatchyThePirate View Post

Seems very logical to have a 4.7" 6c at the $99 price point. The polycarbonate and year old internals would be enough of a differentiator from the aluminum 6s (especially if Force Touch comes into play). I think Apple has more to gain (android switchers, new users) from a $99 4.7" iPhone 6c then it will lose to cannibalization from people that would otherwise go with the 6s.

Logical only in our mind, not Apple. Why? 6C requires redesign of the chassis (R&D, Testing costs) to sell at the same price as current 6 which they don't have to do anything to it.  The BOM of polycarbonate and Aluminum is not that much difference to offset the cost of manufacturing, R&D and testing the new phone chassis.  It's a bad move in financial sense.

• Reply 54 of 100
    Quote:

No its not.  They did the same thing with the 5C with great success

Well, Tim Cook said they didn't sell 5C as well as they thought. To me, it wasn't really a success even though the sale number was actually good vs  competitors.

• Reply 55 of 100
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

NFC is almost certain, as Apple wants to push ApplePay. A non-ApplePay iPhone would be very akward.

Agree. 

IMO---plus... add in the best camera and radio's to it and then I don't really care what case is surrounding the innards... (more primary color options would be nice.) ... and keep the 4in screen please!!!!

• Reply 56 of 100
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Well, Tim Cook said they didn't sell 5C as well as they thought. To me, it wasn't really a success even though the sale number was actually good vs  competitors.

Well whether or not Apple sold as much as they expected, the 5c was clearly a successful product. It seems very likely that a 4.7" version of a 6c would do even better than the 5c did, particularly if there's a 4" 6c/5cs that would give it more perceived value.

• Reply 57 of 100
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I think a 4" iPhone 6C is plausible. If Apple were to build it, I would be shocked if it were to not include Touch ID. I would be surprised if were to not include NFC, because it would be stupid to not include support for Apple Pay. That makes the A8 chip the logical choice, even if the camera and flash might be taken from the iPhone 5S.
  • Reply 58 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,591member
    Apple does not.   But statistical sampling and polls prove they are selling more top end phones since they switched to plastic phones with the 5S/5C.  Also Apple's rising gross margins also are an indirect proof.

Ah, so kinda like analyst guesstimates then
  • Reply 59 of 100

I was under the impression that the 5C was a relatively unsuccessful product. I personally feel the plastic back looks very un-Apple-like, i.e., CHEAP! If they come out with a 4" iPhone 6, they should keep the family of iPhones cosmetically consistent. I think this would also be a more positive marketing strategy.

• Reply 60 of 100
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaase NO

do it in the same design as iphone 6 but smaller!