Samsung fighting off its own 'bendgate' controversy, says Galaxy S6 not bendable in normal daily use

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    If you look at the Samsung video, you will notice that the force is not applied uniformly, they slow down the acceleration as when they hit around 50 lbs, going from 0 to 50 lbs was far faster than 50lb to 80lb, they did this on purpose, if they maintain the same rate of change in force I bet you would have seen something break. Just applying force is one thing, but how the forces is applied and be completely different things. Applying a force slowly spread the energy different than if you did it faster.

As in the case of the iphone most likely this is really non issue for most users. There will be situation which someone manages to find a way to bend and break their phone. How much force it takes and how much engineering you want to put into is another question.

From my point of view the real issue here is the fact they Samsung edge will be an issue due to the fact the wrap the glass and display and this become a weak point. I suspect you will see Samsung edges with more broken displays than other similar phone of these sizes.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Hilarious because Samsung's on the receiving end (to a much lesser extent—the media will show nowhere near the same interest in this story) of what they dished out earlier when bendgate was hyped up for Apple, but it's no more a story than it was for Apple last year. Interesting to see some people a little quick to make the same generalizations they were likely frustrated with previously applied to the iPhone 6. Same would apply to Samsung fans who reveled in the iPhone 6's 'problem' but are now somehow personally offended.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

One word: Karma

Now, where's that infamous "Unbox Therapy Guy"?

• Reply 24 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

My 4 had the antenna problem, [...]

Claiming that antenna gate was a troll meme is just denying the real life experience of a lot of people. Don't forget Apple issued cases to every buyer of the 4, for good reason.

er, no. did you watch the Jobs press event over the the 4's antenna? all external antenna phones can be shown to lose single when put into a death grip, due to the water in our flesh, which is good at blocking signal. they showed other popular models doing the same. then they had stats on actual dropped calls and it wasnt much different than the previous generation. 

the whole thing thing was a non-issue IRL -- which is why the 4's design went unchanged for years as they continued to sell it. the free bumpers were a PR move.

• Reply 25 of 53
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Oh, go **** yourselves, Samsung. You giddily shat on and promoted "bendgate" to the best of your abilities, then went out of your way to claim how your magical phone wouldn't mend. Now, it's bending under even less pressure than the iPhone 6. And, naturally, your response to this is infinitely more classless and self-righteous than Apple's ever was. That's what happens when you have to "make up" flaws when attacking the iPhone, and go out of your way to use that to promote your own product. 

• Reply 26 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Oh, go **** yourselves, Samsung. You giddily shat on and promoted "bendgate" to the best of your abilities, then went out of your way to claim how your magical phone wouldn't mend. Now, it's bending under even less pressure than the iPhone 6. And, naturally, your response to this is infinitely more classless and self-righteous than Apple's ever was. That's what happens when you have to "make up" flaws when attacking the iPhone, and go out of your way to use that to promote your own product. 

Time to unleash the Apple army on this thing...
  • Reply 27 of 53
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

er, no. did you watch the Jobs press event over the the 4's antenna? all external antenna phones can be shown to lose single when put into a death grip, due to the water in our flesh, which is good at blocking signal. they showed other popular models doing the same. then they had stats on actual dropped calls and it wasnt much different than the previous generation. 

the whole thing thing was a non-issue IRL -- which is why the 4's design went unchanged for years as they continued to sell it. the free bumpers were a PR move.

I don't really care about non-iPhones, to be honest. They don't satisfy my requirements ;)

• Reply 28 of 53
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Android fans are up in arms over what Samsung has wrought.

Android fans are use to plasticky thick phones that don't need a case, have replaceable batteries, have a micro SD slot for storage expansion to 128 GB , are waterproof, that do not bend and break. They sneer at iPhone users who are sitting or standing by a wall waiting for their iPhones to recharge

But now Samsung has done it. To copy Apple to try and regain its past glory, Samsung copied the iPhone so slavishly its phone EVEN BENDS. And to do Apple better, it BENDS AND BREAKS at a lower weight than the iPhone!

Way to go Samsung!

Some parallels with the iPhone:

1. SIMILAR NAME: Samsung S6 vs iPhone 6

2. NEEDS CASE since it easily bends and breaks

3. NOT WATERPROOF

4. NO REPLACEABLE BATTERY - so bring your power brick with you.

5. NO MICRO-SD EXPANSION. If you want more storage, pay for the more expensive model

6. FINGERPRINT READER

7. BENDS at lower pressure than iPhone 6.

8. For good measure, it has a glass back like the iPhone 4.

To one-up the Apple, Samsung made the screen so that it SHATTERS when bent, sending sharp glass pieces into your pocket ready to jab you when you reach for your Samsung S6. So bring triple antibiotic cream and bandages with you in case you cut yourself on an Samsung S6.

Samsung Galaxy S6 "A PAIN IN  THE ASS" literally

• Reply 29 of 53
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Have a chuckle while it lasts because this will be history within hours. Remember that only Apple is subject to ridicule and derision for this kind of stuff. There are already YouTube videos by Samsung fanboys “proving” that the S6 does not bend... at all. And do you really think that teenage twerps will descend on the Samsung booths in Best Buy to bend the S6 like they did the iPhone 6? Not a chance.

I just got back from Best Buy. I managed to bend the S6, very easy really -  and the glass shattered too

• Reply 30 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    paul94544 wrote: »
    I just got back from Best Buy. I managed to bend the S6, very easy really -  and the glass shattered too

Did you get your money back?
  • Reply 31 of 53

My 4 had the antenna problem, my 6S doesn't bend at all (and I tend to forget it in my back-pocket). Also, both phones have pretty much been round the planet and in pretty rough conditions. I do regret not putting a protection on the screen of the 4 before I gave it to my gf, the desert sands seriously damaged the glass... but I will just get her the next iPhone, I guess ;)

My point is: these devices are amazingly strong, they cannot take extreme conditions because they're not TEMPEST/hardened, but for normal people they're just amazing. Claiming that antenna gate was a troll meme is just denying the real life experience of a lot of people. Don't forget Apple issued cases to every buyer of the 4, for good reason.

No. You having signal issues with your iPhone 4 and "Antennagate" or "Bendgate" existing as memes are distinct ideas. It's useful to review what a meme is:
    A meme (/?mi?m/ meem)[1] is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture".[2] A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme.

Some users experiencing signal attenuation issues or a bent phone does not make an "antennagate" or "bendgate."

The "-gate" suffix has come to be used in media to imply scandal, coverup and malfeasance, and unlike the original Watergate, it is applied pejoratively rather than according to some standard of measure or test. In other words, it is sloppily used to attack, to smear, to criticize, and when coined, becomes a compact expression of the idea of a scandal. In other words, it's ready to become a meme. All it takes is replication to become a meme. In the old days, that meant the press, but modern Internet culture can spread memes quickly (via reddit, Twitter, etc) without oversight or standard of journalistic integrity. In other words, -gates are used for attack by critics, or anyone who benefits by spreading scandal.

It troubles me that you don't see the difference. I get that you and others experienced signal attenuation on the iPhone 4. But I don't use the vocabulary or memes of Apple critics to help their cause. While you embraced it, lock, stock, and barrel.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No. You having signal issues with your iPhone 4 and "Antennagate" or "Bendgate" existing as memes are distinct ideas. It's useful to review what a meme is:

Some users experiencing signal attenuation issues or a bent phone does not make an "antennagate" or "bendgate."

The "-gate" suffix has come to be used in media to imply scandal, coverup and malfeasance, and unlike the original Watergate, it is applied pejoratively rather than according to some standard of measure or test. In other words, it is sloppily used to attack, to smear, to criticize, and when coined, becomes a compact expression of the idea of a scandal. In other words, it's ready to become a meme. All it takes is replication to become a meme. In the old days, that meant the press, but modern Internet culture can spread memes quickly (via reddit, Twitter, etc) without oversight or standard of journalistic integrity. In other words, -gates are used for attack by critics, or anyone who benefits by spreading scandal.

It troubles me that you don't see the difference. I get that you and others experienced signal attenuation on the iPhone 4. But I don't use the vocabulary or memes of Apple critics to help their cause. While you embraced it, lock, stock, and barrel.

Your point is clear, well argumented, and I subscribe to most of it. However, considering the fact that referring to the very widespread signal issues I and everyone I know who bought the original iPhone 4 experienced as a "meme" was, and still is, a way for some people to outright deny those issues as "trolling" (as per the comment you made, even...), I believe that my own response is also correct.

I believe there is more than one correct way to see things. I hope you will give me the leeway to keep this opinion ;)

• Reply 33 of 53

But will the S6 blend as smooth as the iPhone 6 Plus and Galaxy Note 3?

Pressing the Newton-Button vs Who's Copying Who-Buttton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBUJcD6Ws6s

Tom Dickson leaves me with a big smile, every time...

• Reply 34 of 53
    "But Samsung feels the tests conducted by SquareTrade were not fair, as the company said 110 pounds of pressure "rarely occurs under normal circumstances." Samsung also said that the test conducted by SquareTrade "does not show the strength of the back side.""

LOL...oh so they're bending it wrong! If this was Apple the press would be having a field day with that statement.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,251member

Yes, this is a knee-jerk reaction. They failed to copy Apple is this regard... "keep quiet until it's absolutely necessary to speak up".

• Reply 36 of 53
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NotTellinYou View Post

"But Samsung feels the tests conducted by SquareTrade were not fair, as the company said 110 pounds of pressure "rarely occurs under normal circumstances." Samsung also said that the test conducted by SquareTrade "does not show the strength of the back side.""

LOL...oh so they're bending it wrong! If this was Apple the press would be having a field day with that statement.

Exactly..! Their very own advertising bashed the iPhone 6 for being bendable, and now they have egg on their face. Just one more reminder that Samsung Mobility* has no class.

* I'm now differentiating between the different divisions of Samsung because their electronics manufacturing division is a master at chip fabrication.... and even Apple knows that. They've earned respect in that regard.

• Reply 37 of 53
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

If you look at the Samsung video, you will notice that the force is not applied uniformly, they slow down the acceleration as when they hit around 50 lbs, going from 0 to 50 lbs was far faster than 50lb to 80lb, they did this on purpose, if they maintain the same rate of change in force I bet you would have seen something break. Just applying force is one thing, but how the forces is applied and be completely different things. Applying a force slowly spread the energy different than if you did it faster.

I'm assuming you were not a physics major . . . 

[The phone deflects (bends) the most at the lowest pressure. At some point, the rate of deflection decreases greatly and the tinniest bit of movement from the ram requires a comparatively large change in force. Because of this, and to detect irreversible strain (permanent bending,) the ram speed is slowed way down as the test progresses and it's movement is controlled very carefully so accurate force measurements can be made.]

(And no, I was not a physics major.)

• Reply 38 of 53
    juxt417juxt417 Posts: 6member

A 4 lbs difference isnt much and be overcome by increases in weight, temperature differences, and so on.1

• Reply 39 of 53
    juxt417juxt417 Posts: 6member

No it bends at a much higher pressure than the iphone 6 and bends at the same pressure as the 6+.

At least samsung isnt trying to rip us off by starting at 16 GB models and they also included ufs 2.0 which is much faster than anything else even the iphone.

Most users dont use extra batteries. Its a select group of power users that live and work on their phones that do. Most people would rather have the built in charging of which the glass back was necessary to make work.

• Reply 40 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jm6032 wrote: »
    So far, only 9 have been returned...

The whole 9 thing is just beyond dumb. It was 9 phones a couple weeks after launch, not 9 iPhone's to the end of days. How many after that first 9 Apple has never said. Then again it was never a big issue anyway except to fandroids. Now the so is in the other foot. Samsung joined the fandroids crowd last year, it's pay back time!!!