All six Star Wars films go digital, headed to iTunes on April 10

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Marvin wrote: »
    What this tells us is that Lucas wasn't lying—the original copy of Star Wars is, in fact, gone.

How is that even possible? Why wasn't the original preserved? I'd bet that in a few years a perfectly intact copy will be found in the attic of a retired projectionist.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Its all or nothing.  You can't pick and choose which effects you want cleaned up.

They either should release the original films or do nothing.

Absolutely. I want the originals with missing lightsaber animation, questionable traveling mattes...everything I remember from my childhood. It's all part of the charm.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Why weren't these released on May the 4th?

• Reply 24 of 57
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 504member
    Where is the bundle?! iTunes and Disney Movies Anywhere are only selling the movies seperately right now. What the heck? So basically $120 to own all 6. Amazon Instant, Vudu, and Google Play all have the bundle available now, which gives you all 6 movies for $89. I have no intention on buying anywhere but iTunes but no way will I pay an extra $30. Guess I'll have to wait it out and see if they eventually offer the full collection in one package. Just a little annoying.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    "And so the most milked franchise in history gets milked even more. Fans who already own these on previous digital formats would be crazy to buy these versions" - Mobius

Ummmm....these have never been available in digital formats. Only on DVD, Blu-ray or VHS.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

$25 each in Canada...   No bundles....  fail!    I am so not buying this outside of a bundle price.  And yet there is a bundle on google play.  

Disney movie prices are really getting on my nerves, everything is $25 like its just been release, no bundles.  Maybe I should go to the torrrents for all Disney movies.

• Reply 27 of 57
    ilovestuffilovestuff Posts: 143member
    Wow, I can believe it's finally happening. Even though my kids know a lot about StarWars they have never seen it due to this holdout delay.
    We watch movies exclusively off the Apple TV.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    jeffj2hjeffj2h Posts: 10member
    Digital? What is the point? Certainly anyone on this forum that likes Star Wars has the DVDs and if they wanted long ago ripped the movies and transcoded them for AppleTV, iPhone, or whatever. I guess this is for people that don't know how to do that and want the movies on their phone.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    jeffj2hjeffj2h Posts: 10member

This reminds me of the hoopla when the Beatles songs came to iTunes.  Anyone that likes the Beatles had long ago bought the DVDs or downloaded the songs on Napster in 2001.

• Reply 30 of 57
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member

I can't beleive they're milking these movies for FULL PRICE still!!!  Well I actually I can.   There is ZERO way I'm buying these yet again.  I did the VHS, DVD and I have them on Blu-Ray.   If I want digital versions, I'll rip the Blu-Rays and put it on my NAS with most of my other movies.  I havn't ripped many of my Blu-Rays as if I want the best 1080P Video and Audio, playing from disc is the BEST.   Streaming so called 1080P Movies, don't come close to 1080P quality.  

These movies should be like $7.99 a Pop in Digital format at this point on time.   In fact you can Blu-Ray Blu-Ray versions for cheaper and have a better copy!!!  Looking on Amazon, you can get the first 3 bundle and the second 3 bundle for just over 40 bucks.  So a little over $80 for all 6 movies and you get DVD and Blu-Ray copies.  I just don't see what the big deal is paying $20 a pop for a reduced quality Digital Copy.  

• Reply 31 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    supadav03 wrote: »
    Where is the bundle?! iTunes and Disney Movies Anywhere are only selling the movies seperately right now. What the heck? So basically $120 to own all 6. Amazon Instant, Vudu, and Google Play all have the bundle available now, which gives you all 6 movies for $89. I have no intention on buying anywhere but iTunes but no way will I pay an extra $30. Guess I'll have to wait it out and see if they eventually offer the full collection in one package. Just a little annoying.
    iTunes may not be offering a bundle (yet) but there are other sellers of this offering it as low at $89.99 right now.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    applezilla wrote: »

Same here. I'll wait for the 9 film collection in a few years. By then, it may even be 4k.

How is that possible? Episodes 1-3 were shot in HD resolution.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SupaDav03 View Post

"And so the most milked franchise in history gets milked even more. Fans who already own these on previous digital formats would be crazy to buy these versions" - Mobius

Ummmm....these have never been available in digital formats. Only on DVD, Blu-ray or VHS.

DVD and Blu-ray are digital formats. 

• Reply 34 of 57
    My bad. I though he meant avail to purchase digitally
  • Reply 35 of 57
    jbdragon wrote: »
    I can't beleive they're milking these movies for FULL PRICE still!!!  Well I actually I can.   There is ZERO way I'm buying these yet again.  I did the VHS, DVD and I have them on Blu-Ray.   If I want digital versions, I'll rip the Blu-Rays and put it on my NAS with most of my other movies.  I havn't ripped many of my Blu-Rays as if I want the best 1080P Video and Audio, playing from disc is the BEST.   Streaming so called 1080P Movies, don't come close to 1080P quality.  

These movies should be like $7.99 a Pop in Digital format at this point on time.   In fact you can Blu-Ray Blu-Ray versions for cheaper and have a better copy!!!  Looking on Amazon, you can get the first 3 bundle and the second 3 bundle for just over 40 bucks.  So a little over $80 for all 6 movies and you get DVD and Blu-Ray copies.  I just don't see what the big deal is paying $20 a pop for a reduced quality Digital Copy.  
    If you make a 1:1 rip of the blu-ray and include the correct audio stream (DTS-HD MA, etc.), there is no difference in quality between watching the movie streamed from a NAS or playing the actual disc. If you compress the files while you are ripping them, then you would notice a difference. I've done this with all my blu-ray and 3D blu-ray discs and the quality (both audio and video)is the same as if I played the disc.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffj2h View Post

This reminds me of the hoopla when the Beatles songs came to iTunes.  Anyone that likes the Beatles had long ago bought the DVDs or downloaded the songs on Napster in 2001.

LOLWUT?

• Reply 37 of 57

Han shot first.

• Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

I want the original with the cleaned up FX, but not the silly extra scenes.

Its all or nothing.  You can't pick and choose which effects you want cleaned up.

They either should release the original films or do nothing.

Not true, they're two different things.   Getting rid of 1970s green-screen lines, or the infamous blue-ish box around moving Tie fighters, is completely different than changing the fact that Han shot first.  You can clean up the F/X without changing the story line.

• Reply 39 of 57
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

How is that possible? Episodes 1-3 were shot in HD resolution.

I was going to correct you and explain how HD can mean different things to different people, but indeed found out they filmed using 1080 line cameras and didn't even use all of the lines of resolution due to shooting wide!  So basically the original 3 episodes can be shown in higher detail over the newer ones.

• Reply 40 of 57
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    beltsbear wrote: »
    I was going to correct you and explain how HD can mean different things to different people, but indeed found out they filmed using 1080 line cameras and didn't even use all of the lines of resolution due to shooting wide!  So basically the original 3 episodes can be shown in higher detail over the newer ones.

They should've used film, JJ Abrams, and Scott Nolan still do.