Apple targets video pros with major updates to Final Cut Pro X, Motion & Compressor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    "Geared towards video pros"?
    Don't think so. They geared it towards video enthusiasts. No pro gives a rats ass about 3D text. It's corny.

Most of the changes is about playing catch up with user requests but many, many stuff hasn't been addressed yet. It's a shame because I heavily invested in FCPX (time spent), and Resolve 12 (also released yesterday) now provides a much more complete and professional package. But... it's a steep learning curve.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member
    My question about Motion is whether or not they have given up on the straightjacket interface. Once they decided to drop the dockable palettes and jam them into one window and bury them inside tabs, productivity dropped through the floor. It was idiotic, especially considering the Mac's long-time support for multiple monitors. Once they did that, it felt like my arms had been strapped to my sides.

When the reintroduce dockable palettes I'll come back. Until then, the app is way too frustrating to use.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    tyancytyancy Posts: 85member

The visual clutter is not intuitive to me at all. There is no such thing as one size fits all.

• Reply 24 of 31
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    Quote:

I bought FCP X when it was first released, however I haven't used it at all. The difficult part for me is relearning a completely new and rather unconventional video editing suite like FCP X. I knew FCP 7 very well but I retired it along with my old Mac Pro. I just don't seem to have the time or the motivation to get up to speed in FCP X. Lately I've been using Premiere on an iMac 5K. I find Premiere's conventional timeline very familiar. It is really nice to work with as is the iMac 5K, which I love.

I decided not to go with the new Mac Pro last year but I might this year. Waiting to see what updates they offer. I'm curious about the roadmap for Thunderbolt now that USB-C is out.

I am really sorry that you feel this way. I have used FCP7 as well as Premiere and FCPX is a much better way to go. It has become just a better way of getting things done. There are many training options available and I think you might have some fun with it.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    rubaiyatrubaiyat Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I like FCPX. It's much more intiutive than FCP7. Worth the learning curve.

Until Apple kills it and all your files. Its done it once already to FCP, and just about every other App they sell.

Every indication is that Apple doesn't give a rats for its Pro users and whilst FCPX is too early still in its cycle, it will get the chop the same as every other Pro App and then you will have a lot of jobs and clients stuck on the wrong App, on the wrong platform. All your training and retraining will have been money and time down the drain.

Pros are living in the past with Apple.

Apple doesn't need the Pros anymore and is making plenty more money out of the hordes of people who have little or no idea what they are doing. The dumb consumer is undemanding, easily impressed and very, very profitable.

• Reply 26 of 31
    "Pros are living in the past with Apple."
    Then you see a company like blackmagic, going absolute gang busters on every front. It kinda makes me realise that for the pros apple is becoming more and more irrelevant. I haven't used resolve 12, but if it's as good as premiere, who'd not want a software that took you from edit to finished graded product in one go.?
  • Reply 27 of 31
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I bought FCP X when it was first released, however I haven't used it at all. The difficult part for me is relearning a completely new and rather unconventional video editing suite like FCP X. I knew FCP 7 very well but I retired it along with my old Mac Pro. I just don't seem to have the time or the motivation to get up to speed in FCP X. Lately I've been using Premiere on an iMac 5K. I find Premiere's conventional timeline very familiar. It is really nice to work with as is the iMac 5K, which I love.

I decided not to go with the new Mac Pro last year but I might this year. Waiting to see what updates they offer. I'm curious about the roadmap for Thunderbolt now that USB-C is out.

I used FCP 7 in college back in '04. For a decade I got out of film making and recently started taking it back up again. I took a beginner's class in town on FCP X, and it is such a better application in so many ways! Some of which has nothing to do with Apple but with the advancement of the film industry in general (no more "Log & Capture" from DV tapes, instead import files instantly from a SD card). But it is a much more refined application. Of course I didn't start out at Final Cut X 1.0, and I heard that that was a pretty shitty release and they lost a lot of pro customers because of it (Final Cut used to be standard for film studios, it now seems like they have all switched to Avid). 

• Reply 28 of 31
    fearlessfearless Posts: 138member
    Look I agree FCP X has taken great strides but for an app that prides itself on being a one-box answer to get stuff up to share it falls short in key areas. For example, where's the audio mixer interface? Without a trip through Logic or ProTools (which remains hard for FCP X to manage, plugins or not - track treatment is chaotic) the one-app-to-do-it-all needs the ability to do better than rubber bands and keyframes. 'Intuitive' does not mean useful in a professional workflow scenario.

However, to my mind the most significant update is to Compressor - the ability to knock out 8-channel MXF OP1a files for broadcast, from a ProRes master or whatever generated in Resolve, DeVinci, Logic, whatever. An increasingly common deliverable worldwide - time to sell the HDCAM deck.
  • Reply 29 of 31

Oh, Wizard, where do I start? In FCP 7 you could do useful workflow things like copy the present frame timecode from one field and paste it into another. I built an AppleScript that could take sequence chapter markers (Export Markers to Text...), look at their colours, and build a complete ID slate from them, calculating durations and commercial breaks and turning it into something I could port to a cue sheet in FileMaker, print and deliver. For a post house requiring systems that work for delivery to broadcasters, our world was built around it.

In FCP X the idea is that the only thing you're making is your output cut - a lump of ProRes. For us it's always much more than that, and anything we can do to script and streamline things we'll do - for accuracy as well as speed. FCP X by comparison is a very closed system. Yes, I'm sure renders are faster than a slicked cat - but it's the other stuff I miss, and you get that in PPro, Avid - anything else. Oh, and audio tracks that don't take a mixer half a day to rearrange meaningfully in ProTools and kill your rep at the same time. FCP X sees no further than the end of its timeline - it's as myopic as Mr Magoo.†

† old school comic anime antihero with huge glasses

• Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by woodbine View Post

"Pros are living in the past with Apple."

Then you see a company like blackmagic, going absolute gang busters on every front. It kinda makes me realise that for the pros apple is becoming more and more irrelevant. I haven't used resolve 12, but if it's as good as premiere, who'd not want a software that took you from edit to finished graded product in one go.?

Er I don't. Good editors are editors, colourists are colourists, I don't need to do a sound mix but I want an app that gets me to a mix intact, which FCP X doesn't yet. Yes, I work daily in Resolve 11 but I doubt I'll ever convince my feature-cutting colleague to to dump Avid for it. Too much muscle memory. Having said that Resolve 12 looks really interesting and it'll be about fluidity in the end as to whether it's any good as a place where an edit can live for weeks. Bin structure, organisation, that's the reinforcing steel of a long form project that reminds you constantly what you have and how it's related. Keep your Keyword Collections thanks - where are my synched shots?

• Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Who in their right mind would trust Apple

for ANY PRO APP after Apple just royally screwed PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS by PULLING APERTURE and replacing it with some sophomoric imposter called "Photos"???

Yeah who needs Photoshop anymore now that Preview has Tools? Apple's answer to clutter is to start from scratch with iMovie Pro, and slowly add back the stuff that most people scream loudest about without realising that approach will never get you an app that satisfies people who make a real living using it - it will always fall short, because in the end throwing money at the fussiest 20% of users when you already keep 80% happy cannot be justified in that model. I didn't need a rewritten code base, I needed FCP 8 at 64 bit (which is a red herring really, since Compressor stayed 32 bit for years).

I know someone who travels the world cutting action vids for online channels on a MacBook Pro and a Thunderbolt drive and he's happy as, using Premiere. Even he won't touch FCP X, although I'm sure many people use it, as I do on the right projects. But that's not the same as making films, folks, sorry.