Why are the people in the switch ads lying?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Here's a <a href="http://www.nlp.org/random/police-interrogation.htm"; target="_blank">very informative exchange</a> on how - and how reliably - eye movement and other somatic cues correlate to honesty. The context is police interrogation.

Frankly, the people in the Switch ads did better than I've done in front of a camera. The last time one of those accursed things was pointed at me every single idea I had thought about addressing was magically wiped from my brain, and it was hard to look directly into the camera. Especially with that light shining in my face.

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]<strong>we'd been hanging around with the worldwide marketing manager and her assistant WW marketing manager for Apple... Twenty-two and twenty-three years of age respectively and they were on their game.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Holy crap, I'm in the wrong business. :eek:
  • Reply 23 of 32
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    for real.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    BRussell, go in front of a camera and talk unrehearsed for an hour and a half and see how "believable" you come off. It's not that damn easy. That's why there are actors.

The ads are fine, folks. The people are obviously a little nervous and not used to speaking ex tempore on-camera; nothing wrong with that and it gives the spots some charm. They communicate variations on the same simple message: if you don't like your PC, you very well might like a Mac. The point is to get people to overcome the inertia that makes them stick with what they know, even if they're not happy with it; after that the Mac has to sell itself.

Computer geeks constantly whine that ads need to be more hard-hitting, not realizing that the majority of the public doesn't even know what an operating system is. Apple's commercials are about the Mac, not about OS X or its networking stack or developer environment or other benefits that don't mean crap to the people Apple is trying to reach. (And the last thing I want to see is Apple start producing AOL-like commercials with a bunch of disembodied models out of a Paul Getty stock photo book babbling "It's so easy!" and "I love when I have e-mail!". Unlike the AOL ads, the Apple ads communicate that simple =! stupid.)
  • Reply 25 of 32
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>I thought Apple was presenting them as real people. If they are, they're bad actors...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ummm...I think you answered your own complaint. Apple is presenting REAL PEOPLE, NOT ACTORS...maybe that's why they can't act?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Damn if you people want smooth, slick actors telling you why you should buy product X, then go watch some M$ ad with people flying around and blue skies and big fluffy clouds.

Geesh, it's just a commercial....all commercials lie to some extent. They are designed to manipulate people into thinking the way the corporation wants them to think...what the hell do you expect from them?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    I like all of them except the Blue Screen of Death guy... Anyone who has bought a PC since XP was released or upgraded their PC to XP knows that you don't get the blue screen anymore (doesn't mean that it won't lockup and give you hell, but there is no blue screen anymore). My concern is that it (the Blue Screen comment) may make it seem as though we don't know what we are talking about to PC users.

Blue Screen Guy would have been a good one if they had done this campaign a year or two ago...

I wish that one of them would say that the reason they switched is because the iApps... "Simply put... There is NO equivalent to any of these apps on Windows (iDVD, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, etc)". &lt;- Something like that.

Later,

Blizaine
  • Reply 28 of 32
    clonenodeclonenode Posts: 392member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blizaine:

<strong>I like all of them except the Blue Screen of Death guy... Anyone who has bought a PC since XP was released or upgraded their PC to XP knows that you don't get the blue screen anymore (doesn't mean that it won't lockup and give you hell, but there is no blue screen anymore). My concern is that it (the Blue Screen comment) may make it seem as though we don't know what we are talking about to PC users.

Blue Screen Guy would have been a good one if they had done this campaign a year or two ago...

Later,

Blizaine</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but Apple isn't trying to get someone who JUST bought a brand new PC to switch. They're trying to get people with older PCs (two - three years old) to give Macs a try. The ad you site is PERFECT for those folks.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    [quote]Originally posted by Blizaine:

<strong>...Anyone who has bought a PC since XP was released or upgraded their PC to XP knows that you don't get the blue screen anymore...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can still get a blue screen in XP. In fact my friend XP box is so toasted he gets one everytime he boots the system up, then it shuts down, and restarts. Repeat infinity.

In Xp, and 2000, all the way back to NT...when you get a kernal panic or the like you get a blue screen. The text is different and not centered on the screen as if it were an advertising banner, but the "Blue Screen of Death" is still very much around.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    arnarn Posts: 21member
    they are real people... and real mac users who read and post on mac sites...

<a href="http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=6606"; target="_blank">http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=6606</a>;

arn
  • Reply 31 of 32
    i dont think it's fake, just looks like low budget ads. they lack the usual flair and drama of other ads. i'd personally like to see someone here make their own ad and edit the dell computer kid into it, saying how he switched to apple.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Yeah, but Apple isn't trying to get someone who JUST bought a brand new PC to switch. They're trying to get people with older PCs (two - three years old) to give Macs a try. The ad you site is PERFECT for those folks.

<hr></blockquote>

good point hehe...

[quote]You can still get a blue screen in XP. In fact my friend XP box is so toasted he gets one everytime he boots the system up, then it shuts down, and restarts. Repeat infinity.

In Xp, and 2000, all the way back to NT...when you get a kernal panic or the like you get a blue screen. The text is different and not centered on the screen as if it were an advertising banner, but the "Blue Screen of Death" is still very much around.

<hr></blockquote>

I was just going by my experience. I'm the IT Director (MCSE2000, CCNA) for my company and we've been slowly migrating users to XP, and while it still has many problems and crashes, there has never been a report of the "Blue Screen" on the XP machines, where-as the 98's report it all the time...

The main reason we probably don't experience the Blue Screen in my company is because I have our Domain set up to only allow clients to install drivers that have been signed my Microsoft. This helps to prevent everyone from installing things that will cause their system to become unstable.

You are correct though, it does still exist, just ignore my previous post.

Later,

Blizaine

[ 06-20-2002: Message edited by: Blizaine ]</p>