Apple Watch won't be available in Apple's retail stores until June at the earliest

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Apple cares about unboxing.  You can see it on how detailed they are on their packaging.

They will not sell a Watch without a band.  That would look so ridiculous when you open up the box.

Also Apple is not going to allow you to buy an Aluminum watch face and then add an Edition level band to pair with it.  Apple is pushing 3 seperate lines:  Sport, Watch, and Edition.  They don't want those lines to be blurred.  

For the first generation product, I agree. But with subsequent generations they might have to consider selling Apple Watch without a band, for customers who own an earlier model and have already invested in an expensive band.

• Reply 42 of 77

For the first generation product, I agree. But with subsequent generations they might have to consider selling Apple Watch without a band, for customers who own an earlier model and have already invested in an expensive band.

Show me a major wristwatch manufacturer that sells a watch without a band. They aren't selling pocket watches.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I could not decide on a band when i ordered mine - so i went with stainless steel watch with just the 'sport band' the sport band is low cost - so no problem when i select my desired band. Also the sport band would be useful when I fish and boat, salt water doesn't care for leather too well...

off topic but shame they don't offer the modern buckle in 42 mm

• Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shen View Post

...Don't misunderstand me though. Keep posting. I am getting a laugh from it. Now that Ben Frost is banned and brlawyer is in hiding over the foolishness of his predictions, someone has to be the clown.

So my observation is still accurate and you got your panties in a bunch over it. Sad really.

• Reply 45 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Show me a major wristwatch manufacturer that sells a watch without a band. They aren't selling pocket watches.

That observation amounts to a hill of beans.

Apple just changed the industry on that front: watch what these guys'll be doing in a couple of years.

• Reply 46 of 77
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Sure they could have sold each watch with sport band as default but then they know a lot of people wouldn't buy another band as the sport would be "good enough".

I think Apple handled the launch the correct way, because they are trying to position the watch as a fashion item, not just a tech item. But the pre-orders clearly suggested that people want the other bands. The people who wanted the cheaper Sport band option bought that, and the others spend the extra money to get the band. There's a marginal difference in price compared to buying the base model with the Sport band and buying the extra band you want. And clearly customers want what they want from the pre-order surveys. Selling the bands separately would not have resulted in a "good enough" mentality.

• Reply 47 of 77
    Quote:

You really think people are going to be lining up around the block to get an ?Watch at Maxfield? I don't and I don't think Apple does either. Initial launch period is vague because Apple might not know at this point how soon they'll have stock in store.

Yes, I think if Maxfield is the only store in Los Angeles where a person can walk-in without a pre-order reservation and walk out with an Apple watch, there will absolutely be lines around the store. Did you not see how fast the ?Watch sold out? There's huge demand for it, now more than before since so many people have had a chance to see one in person. The same goes for all of Apple's other boutique partners around the world.

I understand why Apple's language was initially vague, but now a "leaked" internal memo has clarified the window. At this point apple needs to present a more organized front in my opinion instead of a lot of rumor and speculation. 

EDIT: Just spoke to a sales clerk at Maxfield and they will have the watch in stock to sell on 4/24 to walk-in customers without a pre-order. However, you will have to make an appointment to come in and buy one. 

So now I'm even more certain that an official press release needs to come out. If word gets out that Apple's retail partners around the world have stock in their stores, there will be a run on them. Assuming they all have policies requiring appointments to purchase the watch, that should mitigate the lines a bit, but not if these policies aren't clearly stated somewhere to prevent the hopeful from lining up at the store before they open in hopes of getting an appointment.

?And here's the ad announcing the ?Watch will be available 4/24 at The Corner in Berlin:

• Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:

Who sells watches without a band? No one. I suppose Apple could have just sold all watches with white and black sport band and made all the other bands optional 'accessories'. But that would be quite boring. And then most people would probably never buy another band as the sport band would be "good enough". Once Apple gets through this initial launch period and backlog they'll have a better idea of which models are most popular and how much of each to have in store.

Apple has done a lot of things that other companies haven't done and just because no other watch company is selling the watch separate from the band doesn't mean it's not a smart way of doing things.  And there is no reason to suggest they simply offer the cheapest sport band as the stock config, as there will be plenty of people who want / expect to have either leather or link bands.  I would think that offering the bands separately, Apple might even get more add-on sales, with people buying both sport and leather or link so they could go from using their Watch for workouts to a night out on the town, just by swapping bands.  Obviously people can do that now, but they have to commit first to one or the other, then buy the add-on band separately.

• Reply 49 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

My first iPod came with a cable, AC charger, dock and case. My last iPod came with just a cable.

I could see Apple releasing a later generation of watch without a band.

Yes, I agree, especially after Apple expands the selection of bands and case combinations they offer.

There's already a rumor that we can expect to see more case materials by the Fall in time for Christmas, and I would likewise expect more watch bands as well. The solid gold link bracelet given to Lagerfeld demonstrates not only Apple's commitment to fashion, and fashion cycles, but also reveals that such a band is likely planned, but given the 9 hour per band manufacturing burden, they have delayed it until after the launch. The same with silver options for the Edition, and more importantly, gold tone options for the Sport (anodized to math your iPhone) and stainless (14k gold or Vermeil for those who don't wear silver). It's obvious Apple went the most conservative route to make as many watches available to the widest customer base as possible. This is one reason I think there are no 42mm Modern Buckle bands, nor any 38mm leather loop bands. I think they did this perfectly.

So if I'm right, there will be 3 Sport models (silver, gold and gray), 3 stainless models (silver, gold and black), and 3 Edition colors (yellow, rose, and silver), along with all the corresponding band options and new band offerings for Christmas, and by next years model release, I can't see them keeping track of all the Gen 1 variations, as well as the Gen 2. Perhaps, in a cost cutting measure the 2nd Gen release will still be boxed with a band, but the original 1G will be sold separately (I would also expect them to offer the Elite only in the current generation model).

• Reply 50 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Since when has that stopped Apple? Remember my personal favorite -- 'the iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard so it will fail'?

I guess I missed the part where they announced the virtual band.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

Agree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That observation amounts to a hill of beans.

Apple just changed the industry on that front: watch what these guys'll be doing in a couple of years.

I doubt that Apple would be selling their ?Watches without an ?Watch band.

Not that it would be to curtail third-party watch bands, which by the way are already available.

It could be a liability issue.  

Quote:

Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport

Every Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport model comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support.

With AppleCare+

AppleCare+ for Apple Watch and Apple Watch Sport extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date1 and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee ($69 for Apple Watch Sport, $79 for Apple Watch) plus applicable tax.2

1. Service coverage is available only for the Apple Watch and its original included accessories that are defective in materials or workmanship or for battery depletion of 50 percent or more from original specification. The replacement equipment that Apple provides as part of the repair or replacement service may be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability. See terms at www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/ for full details.

2. AppleCare+ for Apple Watch provides coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage from handling, each subject to a service fee ($69 for Apple Watch Sport, $79 for Apple Watch, $1000 for Apple Watch Edition) plus applicable tax.

I take it from the above, I wouldn't want to take my ?Watch in for repair or replacement without the original/and or approved Apple ?Watch band attached or otherwise. 

• Reply 52 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I'm curious as to the main reason behind the initially limited inventory. Did demand significantly surpass Apple's expectations? Did Apple encounter production or yield issues that unexpectedly constrained supply? Or was the production ramp up just weeks behind schedule?

Well, Apple only received FCC approval less than a month ago.

Quote:

Ahead of the Apple Watch launch next month, Apple has removed language from its website signaling it has received all necessary final approvals from the US Federal Communications Commission. 

Up until today, Apple’s website included the following footnote noting that the device had not yet been authorized by the FCC for sale:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

And if I am not mistaken that includes the necessary FCC ID for the device, and even the text approvals for the packaging and/or manuals. They would also had to have received FCC approval for the charger. 

• Reply 53 of 77
    drewys808drewys808 Posts: 549member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shen View Post

Don't misunderstand me though. Keep posting. I am getting a laugh from it. Now that Ben Frost is banned and brlawyer is in hiding over the foolishness of his predictions, someone has to be the clown.

I also miss that dude who posted a lot of superlative and sensational words in...

MASSIVE GREEN WORDS, ALL IN CAPS

• Reply 54 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

Agree.

I doubt that Apple would be selling their ?Watches without an ?Watch band.

Not that it would be to curtail third-party watch bands, which by the way are already available.

It could be a liability issue.  

I take it from the above, I wouldn't want to take my ?Watch in for repair or replacement without the original/and or approved Apple ?Watch band attached or otherwise. 

I'm not sure why it's hard to imagine a scenario where when you buy an Apple Watch, you first select the watch version you want (sport / color, stainless / color, edition / color), then the second step is to select the band or bands you want, with suggestions from Apple on which they feel work best with your watch selection or what is trending, if you're unsure which to choose.  

And if you had to bring your watch in for service, it's not like it would be a problem to just keep the band you have on it, well, on it.  They've already designed the watch-to-band mechanism to be just about as simple as you could imagine, especially compared to the feeble spring post connection many watch bands use now.  Given the limited design options of the Watch, they had to make the band easy to change over, so people could personalize it on the fly.

If Apple, as I assume they will, expands the Watch style offering beyond the aluminum, stainless and gold cases, the complexities of case and band combinations will become even more of an issue.  It's certainly an interesting product that has some legs to grow in much the same way that the iPhone case/wrap market became an industry unto itself.

• Reply 55 of 77
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Hey, you forgot the simplest one of all, and the one most cited: Tim hates inventory! He's the Atilla the Hun of inventory!.

Then what sense does it make to have brick and mortar stores? Why not become just a online retailer, and be done with inventory?
  • Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

I'm not sure why it's hard to imagine a scenario where when you buy an Apple Watch, you first select the watch version you want (sport / color, stainless / color, edition / color), then the second step is to select the band or bands you want, with suggestions from Apple on which they feel work best with your watch selection or what is trending, if you're unsure which to choose.  

The only difficulty would be to keep enough bands on hand. At least for the near future, maintaining 

And if you had to bring your watch in for service, it's not like it would be a problem to just keep the band you have on it, well, on it.  They've already designed the watch-to-band mechanism to be just about as simple as you could imagine, especially compared to the feeble spring post connection many watch bands use now.  Given the limited design options of the Watch, they had to make the band easy to change over, so people could personalize it on the fly.

As long as the band is an original Apple accessory. Otherwise, there is no guarantee that a third-party band fitted properly or ruined or marred the integrity of the case. 

If Apple, as I assume they will, expands the Watch style offering beyond the aluminum, stainless and gold cases, the complexities of case and band combinations will become even more of an issue.  It's certainly an interesting product that has some legs to grow in much the same way that the iPhone case/wrap market became an industry unto itself.

And Apple endorses such, as long as they maintain Apples high standards of quality.

One of the issues that I believe Apple wants to limit initially is the scenario of massive crowds in their stores with customers trying on and trying to decide which ?Watch to buy and which band to get. This is not the case with the iPhone or the iPad, in which we really wanted to get in and out as fast as possible. And really, the selection was rather small.

I would expect that now it could take as much as 5 to 10 times the amount of time to buy an ?Watch. And time is money. As is carrying massive inventory.

• Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then what sense does it make to have brick and mortar stores? Why not become just a online retailer, and be done with inventory?

What makes you think that they is not part of Apple's strategy for offering so many styles of ?Watches/bands.

And why would it not be part of Apple's strategy for offering and maintaining more high quality but lower priced products that don't require personal in-store sales service but the same personal product support.

I personally think that Apple is going to introducing more new products that the masses will be demanding and that there is a point in which shopping in person can or could handle the demand.

• Reply 58 of 77
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Bad move! Bad planinng !!!!!!
  • Reply 59 of 77
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

I think Apple really just wants these to more or less be a made to order device....

• Reply 60 of 77
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    So my observation is still accurate and you got your panties in a bunch over it. Sad really.

I simply love that when I say I am literally laughing at how clueless you are you read that as "so I was right!"

You are my new favorite example of Dunning Kruger. Keep posting!