Apple Pay could launch in Canada this fall - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    This won't have the same impact in Canada as the US... we've had tap-and-pay for a few years now and it won't be dramatically easier to use my phone than just wave my CC...
  • Reply 22 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondYourFrontDoor View Post

This won't have the same impact in Canada as the US... we've had tap-and-pay for a few years now and it won't be dramatically easier to use my phone than just wave my CC...

True.  I said that as well.  However, there are other benefits of Apple Pay for those that already enjoy the convenience of credit card NFC.

- Increased security.  Far better than chip + PIN.

- Ability to be used for larger value transactions & more often (depends on implementation of merchant of course).  Most merchants put a limit on credit card NFC amount, and you can only use it for a set number of transactions in a row (to reduce risk in event of theft).  With the TouchID biometric proving user, both of those limits can be removed.

- I've yet to see or use it myself, but if the implementation on Apple Watch is good that will be more convenient than pulling out the old plastic.

- In-app online use.  Much more secure and much more convenient.