Reviewers try to destroy Apple Watch in the shower and swimming pool, ultimately fail

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    08150815 Posts: 4member

I see it coming, people will no try this, it will fail for some and we have a whole new #watergate problem

• Reply 22 of 81

But will it blend?

When does that moronic video get made?

• Reply 23 of 81
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    Reviewers try to destroy Apple Watch in the shower and swimming pool, ultimately fail

Do you really want to turn into Fox News?  What's with the damned click bait titles?

• Reply 24 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Very impressive. As usual with these claims (ie. battery life, etc) Apple errs on the conservative side

Totally agree with you.  I'm really interested to see how the battery actually fairs when mine shows up this afternoon.  I'm expecting better than 19 hours.

• Reply 25 of 81
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

Totally agree with you.  I'm really interested to see how the battery actually fairs when mine shows up this afternoon.  I'm expecting better than 19 hours.

I'm pretty sure you'll get much less than that on 1st day, considering how much you'll be playing with it :)

• Reply 26 of 81
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

But will it blend?

Don't worry.  Some idiot is smashing it with a hammer as we speak, hoping to get some click-bait Youtube views under heading of "Apple Watch fragile...".

• Reply 27 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I'm pretty sure you'll get much less than that on 1st day, considering how much you'll be playing with it :)

Now that's true, but tomorrow's going to be interesting.  I'm off to England, so it will be given an "extended" normal use test by me since I'm taking a red eye from San Francisco.

I'll let you know when it dies........

• Reply 28 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Had it been Samsung, they would have publicized the Watch as being waterproof.

Apple probably noticed that the waterproofing isn't perfect and want to see how many Watches are damaged by water and how in the first year.

Perhaps you fail to understand the difference between “waterproof” and “water resistant.” From a legal and warranty perspective the difference is night and day. And Apple IS advertising the watch as IPX7 compliant which is a set of specific standards for water resistance. So your assertion that Apple “probably noticed that the waterproofing isn’t perfect” is complete nonsense bull excrement. Think before you put fingers to keyboard.

• Reply 29 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

Don't worry.  Some idiot is smashing it with a hammer as we speak, hoping to get some click-bait Youtube views under heading of "Apple Watch fragile...".

The Apple discussion forums are already filling up with idiotic questions, wild claims of bugs and malfunctions. You know, the usual. Just another day in Apple-land. 

• Reply 30 of 81
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

But will it blend?

The "will it blend" videos come from a company called Blend-Tec which makes really good blenders.  They make the videos to show how strong and powerful the blender is.  We have one of their early models from the early 2000s and it is still going strong and is the best blender I have ever used.  However, I have not tried to blend phones, tablets, watches, or other non food items.

http://www.blendtec.com

no affiliation with them other than a happy user

• Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I wish I had money to waste like that. Fools.

So, you wish you were a fool? Or sour grapes?

• Reply 32 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

I think it's more about the actual conditions. Different water temperatures, salt water, movement while under water, etc. all affect the amount of overall water resistance. We know it's not fully waterproof but now we know that most people can jump in a pool for minute and not have to freak out the second their Apple Watch touches water. After that fact, there is very little science going on here but I'm fine with that.

"Very little science going on"?!

Did you even bother to read the story above? Its says: "Apple gave the Watch an IPX7 water resistance rating, which generally means the device could withstand immersion in water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. Apple cautions users against such immersion, however."

What 'science' are you looking for? From whom?

• Reply 33 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

there is very little science going on here

Exactly. I'm eagerly looking forward to the teardown to see just how substantial the water-resistance measures are ... I'm hardly banking on the results of this one "test" for my own water-related use.

• Reply 34 of 81
    jungmark wrote: »

Yeah ...

Reminds me of the day (long ago) when one of those machines appeared that reads a $1 bill and gives you a dollars worth of change ...

One idiot wondered out loud what would happen if you inserted a $5 bill instead pf a $1 bill ...

We dared him to try ...  He did ...  The machine took it ...  And the idiot for $4.
  • Reply 35 of 81
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Had it been Samsung, they would have publicized the Watch as being waterproof.

...and then excluded water damage from their warranty.

• Reply 36 of 81
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

"Very little science going on"?!

Did you even bother to read the story above? Its says: "Apple gave the Watch an IPX7 water resistance rating, which generally means the device could withstand immersion in water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes. Apple cautions users against such immersion, however."

What 'science' are you looking for? From whom?

Pretty sure we're all talking about this thread with the youtube video. You know, the video with very little science going on.

• Reply 37 of 81
    jungmark wrote: »

They're not wasting anything. It's an investment. They make more money than the cost of the watch, with traffic to the video via views clicks and ads on YouTube.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Exactly. I'm eagerly looking forward to the teardown to see just how substantial the water-resistance measures are ... I'm hardly banking on the results of this one "test" for my own water-related use.

It's only a measure of time. If water damage doesn't rear its ugly head after a few days, it's safe to assume the unit is fine. That being said, I think we all have already made up our minds on this one way or the other. Will you really change your opinion if they discover water damage in a few days vs. no water damage after this test? You're still not going to be in a pool or shower with your watch on wrist. I'm still going to take my watch off in the tub or before swimming but if either one of us forget, we know the watch has a good chance of survival.

• Reply 39 of 81
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

The Watch didn't over perform it performed as expected based on the rating. This review was meaningless. 

IPX0 – This means it’s not water resistant at all. Think of what happens to paper when it gets wet. It’s a mess and your novella is ruined.

IPX1 – This will protect a device from some water drops that are falling vertically on said device. I guess it’s possible for this situation to actually occur but so is winning the lottery. If you or someone you know has won the lottery, sharing is caring.

IPX2 –  This will protect your thingy from some water drops when the device is tilted up to and including 15°. If you have your device at 16°, you are fucked, sorry but there are limits in the world.

IPX3 – Getting better, you can now spray your gear up to 60° from the top of the device. So that’s cool, i guess.

IPX4 – Now we are getting somewhere. This will keep “yo ish chill” from splashing water from any direction. So if you drop some cubes of ice into you scotch and it splashes, there is no need to worry.

IPX5 – (this is where the super soaker is allowed). Will protect your stuff from water jets at any direction. Spray away kiddo, spray away.

IPX6 – Protects from powerful water jets. So if you modified your super soaker with an air compressor and an aftermarket tip, your stuff is still safe.

IPX7 – This is for full water splashdown. If you drop your device in water up to 3 feet (1 meter but this is ‘Merica and we don’t do the metric system. USA USA USA) your device is still going to work.

IPX8 – You can protect your device in water over 3 feet. This is for your stuff at the bottom of a pool, lake, or even Shamu’s tank. Good luck getting your stuff back from Shamu though. I mean, that guy never gives back the stuff you let him borrow.

• Reply 40 of 81
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

The Watch didn't over perform it performed as expected based on the rating. This review was meaningless. 

IPX0 – This means it’s not water resistant at all. Think of what happens to paper when it gets wet. It’s a mess and your novella is ruined.

IPX1 – This will protect a device from some water drops that are falling vertically on said device. I guess it’s possible for this situation to actually occur but so is winning the lottery. If you or someone you know has won the lottery, sharing is caring.

IPX2 –  This will protect your thingy from some water drops when the device is tilted up to and including 15°. If you have your device at 16°, you are fucked, sorry but there are limits in the world.

IPX3 – Getting better, you can now spray your gear up to 60° from the top of the device. So that’s cool, i guess.

IPX4 – Now we are getting somewhere. This will keep “yo ish chill” from splashing water from any direction. So if you drop some cubes of ice into you scotch and it splashes, there is no need to worry.

IPX5 – (this is where the super soaker is allowed). Will protect your stuff from water jets at any direction. Spray away kiddo, spray away.

IPX6 – Protects from powerful water jets. So if you modified your super soaker with an air compressor and an aftermarket tip, your stuff is still safe.

IPX7 – This is for full water splashdown. If you drop your device in water up to 3 feet (1 meter but this is ‘Merica and we don’t do the metric system. USA USA USA) your device is still going to work.

IPX8 – You can protect your device in water over 3 feet. This is for your stuff at the bottom of a pool, lake, or even Shamu’s tank. Good luck getting your stuff back from Shamu though. I mean, that guy never gives back the stuff you let him borrow.

"Dropping device in water up to 3 feet" is a lot different than submerging it for 15 minutes. I'm not recommending people go diving with their Apple Watches but you have to admit that this test outperformed the IPX7 rating. No one is saying Apple Watch is IPX8 but we know that Apple is typically conservative on all specifications so they set the bar low and the IPX7 "full water splashdown" means nothing to real world users.