More whining from Dvorak

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think it's funny how, in his most recent two columns, Dvorak is raving on and saying things that EXACTLY apply to him.

1. An old hound that doesn't hunt (or whatever Luke Duke expression he used). He's tired. He has no angle. He has no particular insight or earth-shaking knowledge. He's simply a bitter, smart-assed hack who's smart enough to put two and two together = "if I write nasty things about Apple and the Mac platform, their famously loyal and vocal supporters will read my crap and respond in droves...that means I still have a job!"

2. Calling Apple's latest ad campaign desperate. To me, there is nothing more desperate than a guy Dvorak's age who has been in this business this long (badly writing about computers and tech), while managing to be so shortsighted, unbending and - let's face it - just outright wrong. Nothing says "desperate" more to me than this guy sitting at his desk every week, trying to come up with more rude, inflammatory and just plain idiotic anti-Apple rants to meet his column deadline.

If he truly had something to say and contribute, don't you think he would? Think about it. There are plenty of products, services, companies and people I don't like. But there are WAY many more that I do. If I was paid to be a writer, it would speak volumes that I constantly chose the negative, "bitch about the same ol' company again and again..." path that Dvorak seems to be so comfortable with.

He's still embarrassed and bitter over that whole "mouse" comment he made years and years ago. He knows that in nearly every aspect regarding Macs, he has been dead wrong or WAY off base. He's just being a baby. He needs a bottle and possibly a diaper change.

I said this here last week, in a thread devoted to LAST WEEK'S anti-Apple rant of his: Dvorak is one of those people who simply doesn't get it. To him, using computers is something you have to work at, and you have to possess beyond-average geekosity skills and know-how. It should be a chore. We should "suffer for the right" to use these amazing machines. He's one of those people who seems attracted to the old, hard way. He probably has 78's in his house with a hand-cranked Victrola and a rusted-out push mower in his garage...because that's how a "real man" listens to music and mows his lawn.

Speaking for myself (and, no doubt, tons of other Mac people), I can say that I'm less of a "roll up my sleeves geek" and tinkerer than I am a person who just wants to sit down and be productive and creative.

I find no pleasure or honor in screwing around with my computer. It's not a badge of coolness or hipness, it's not the way I want to work. I have interest tracking down conflicts, viruses, incompatibilities, etc. And on my iMac and OS X, I do none of those things.

I, too, have never had a kernel panic or serious problem. Anything that might've kept me down for a few days, computer-wise, HASN'T been Apple's fault. It's been wiring in my house, OR my cable modem service. Or (haha) a particular piece of software from a certain company located in a particular state in the upper northwest corner of our great nation.

Dvorak is a flaming idiot on wheels. Right about nothing, wrong about everything. And a total unlikable smartass on top of it all. It's his ATTITUDE and personality that make his nonsense so tough to swallow. If he were a nice, humble fellow, he'd be a lot easier to forgive and overlook.

But nobody likes a venomous, bitter old coot with an axe to grind and a massive inferiority complex.

$5 says Dvorak drives a sports car of some sort. And that it's red. And has a vanity tag. Oh yes, and his penis is probably quite small and prone to not working when he needs it most.

That's just the feeling I get.

• Reply 22 of 31
    /me warps back to 1984

OMG! Apple is dying!

/me warps back 1988

OMG! Apple is dying!

/me warps to 1995

OMG! Apple is dying!

/me warps to 1998

OMG! Apple is dying!

/me comes back to the present

OMG! Apple is dying!

Apple has been 'dying' since the IBM 8086.....*yawn*

ting5
  • Reply 23 of 31
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nostradamus:

<strong>I agree with Dvorak's assertion that Apple's new ad campaign is desperate. Apple is in desperate times and is taking desperate measures.

Desperate enough for Apple to bluntly lie to the general public.

It's too bad though that Apple chooses to spend millions of dollars on a sophist ad campaign instead of actually improving their products.

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Then why are you here?
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Exactly! For such a weak, "on its deathbed" company, Apple sure does seem to set the trend and pace, don't they?

I mean, this company has been "dying" for almost two decades now!

But yet, almost everything they do is a hit. And is, eventually, copied and "adapted" among other computer and tech companies.

I probably hate that phrase/attitude the most: "Apple is dying..." or "...going out of business".

And, of course, it's ALWAYS spoken by someone who DOESN'T USE A MAC. Always a Dvorak or PC type who doesn't know what he's talking about and is just stirring the pot.

Jeez.

As if their insight and knowledge is somehow tighter and more accurate than people who actually spend money with the company and support its products and vision.

I drive a Saturn, therefore "Ferrari is going out of business! I know nothing about them, and have nothing to base it on. But I hear things...plus, they're too nice-looking, too expensive, not many people use them. They DYING, man!".

:confused:

Same thing...
  • Reply 25 of 31
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Wow...sounds like he didn't even READ their letters to Apple or perhaps LISTEN to the friggin videos...just looked at the quotes on the main page. He doesn't even mention the Switch section of Apple's site..."But see for yourself. go to the Apple site and refresh the browser until you have seen all the people, each grousing about Wintel machines."
  • Reply 26 of 31
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Well, I gotta give Nosty here a little credit. His trolling appears to have been fairly effective. I mean, he leaves one message, and doesn't come back to the thread, leaving everyone here to start a mini flame war. Frankly, I think he's an ass hole too, but his trolling skills have been improving.

Edit: So if I write "*******" as one word, it gets censored, but if I write "ass hole" with a space in between, it doesn't. Amazing.

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: agent302 ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 31
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OK, I'm culturally illiterate and need to ask this. What is with "Trolling", or calling someone a "troll"? What does it mean?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Examine, if you will, this little gem from Dvorak's column:

[quote]Did Apple ever get the message that "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all?" Trashing an entire platform in a personal way and insulting Windows users is not going to work. It's a negative message. It shows how petty Apple has become.

<hr></blockquote>

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?!?!?!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Which sentence from that quote doesn't also apply to John himself?

This guy...
  • Reply 29 of 31
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    EXACTLY!! I almost fell out of my chair when I read that sentence. "Trashing an entire platform" is all this hack can do these days. Have to give the old codger credit though, he sure can generate hits. (well, credit if hits is ALL he's going for - there's nothing good about the drivel he writes)

As for the trolling, it's like in fishing. Nostradamus drops a little bait into the AI waters (the crap he pulls out of his Dell-loving bunghole) and waits for a hit. He's sitting back and enjoying the crap he has stirred up.

*sigh*

Trolls. Nasty little bastards.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Ah, I get it now!. (I was thinking of troll-under-the-bridge) THX
  • Reply 30 of 31
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Here's a gem from the PC Mag forums. Kinda synthesizes all of our opinions it seems.

[quote]Now that I have your attention, John. Let me just say that I'm blown away by your insight on the Apple ads. The plain ol' folks in each ad are really quite average. Maybe that's Apple's point? Who knows?

That said, I found it particularly ironic that you would choose to focus on the appearance of each person in the series, considering that John, you're really not all that hot.

Actually, you've got a shamelessly bad haircut. One of those kinda-longish-on-the-sides hairdoos that middle-aged men with receding hairlines sport, thinking it looks cool. (Even though it draws even more attention to the overall problem.)

From the shape of your face, John, I think it's safe to assume that you're pretty out-of-shape too. You probably have a beer gut that you're trying to work off with a little energetic walking a few days a week. I'm fairly certain it's not working - though that's admittedly a guess.

In terms of overall bone structure, I'll bet you went to quite a few high-school dances with friends - and left with the same friends, rather than the girl of your dreams who was no doubt hooking up with someone infinitely cooler (or at least better looking) than you. You're not much to look at, John, and I'm guessing you never were.

Are you married? Does your wife still find you attractive? Does she demonstrate her attraction with any frequency? I'll bet not. In fact, from your attitude, I'll bet you're divorced.

So it's mind-boggling that you would take pot-shots at other people's looks, personalities and style. You're not in a position to judge, John, and that article really summed up what a petty, mean, uninformed and dare I say it, HORRID, little man you are.

Now how do you feel?

Later,

Zenboy

<hr></blockquote>