Patriot unveils USB-C flash drive for Apple's MacBook

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    auxio wrote: »

Unless you're working on files directly on the USB drive (why?), just plug it in, transfer the files, unplug and keep charging.  In the off chance that you're really down to the end of your battery and need a charge, <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Macs will go into deep sleep mode when they hit 5% battery, which should be plenty of reserve battery power to do a small file transfer to/from a fast USB flash drive and then continue charging right away.  You're making up a problem where there isn't one.</span>

It is lame dig at the MacBook's single port. In other words, not something I take seriously. Modern USB devices draw little amperage from the computer and they idle when not being read to or written from. OS X will even show you how much current is being drawn by the USB devices plugged in directly into your Mac. It's under System Report.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    sflocal wrote: »
    but...but... that will mean one less thing the Macbook haters will whine about!

What a surprise... not.

Well if it is priced similarly to the Sandisk model currently available, you'd pay 50 bucks instead of 19 for a USB-C to USB-A adapter that lets you use whatever thumbdrives you already have laying around. Even if you did buy a new drive, Amazon sells 32GB USB 3.0 drives for under 15 bucks. You could buy a dongle and two drives for the same price as one of these.

All of this just makes me scratch my head all the more at Apple's weird decision to not include an adapter dongle in the box. Does Tim Cook really feel a couple bucks worth of cable and plugs is that harmful to the profit margins of a 1300 notebook? Hell, if anything it's worth one less thing for critics to pick at.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    bahrbahr Posts: 3member
    If you want to look at the price of storage for what is essentially hardware standards primarily on Apple hardware, just look at the price of thunderbolt hard drives almost 4 years later. While I would love to use these new standards, until prices get reasonable (only 10-20% higher than standard) you'll see me sticking to old school USB over thunderbolt or USB-C. I assume the USB-C will have a future, so the prices of that will drop severely once it gets picked up, and if it doesn't then we will just look back on this day and laugh.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Read and write speeds?