Apple confirms ink in some darker wrist tattoos can interfere with Apple Watch heart rate sensor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmoofo View Post

So, I guess the fact that these people who got tattoos will never ever be able to have an MRI isn't as important as being able to wear a watch. I mean, because if saving your life was as important as wearing a gadget, I'm sure there'd also be outrage at the MRI manufacturers for being so inconsiderate, right?

You do realize that an MRI uses so much power that ferromagnetic objects in the room must be bolted down or they would be literally picked up and pulled into the core of the magnet. More than enough power as to be unaffected by any metal in tattoo ink. Conceivably if the ink contained iron oxides the magnetic field could heat them up and possibly burn the person. Besides it is two different situations. One is optical and the other magnetic.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    And nobody seems to be taking notice of the security fellow in the background, and the trouble he's facing!

Good catch
  • Reply 83 of 122
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    mstone wrote: »
    elmoofo wrote: »
    So, I guess the fact that these people who got tattoos will never ever be able to have an MRI isn't as important as being able to wear a watch. I mean, because if saving your life was as important as wearing a gadget, I'm sure there'd also be outrage at the MRI manufacturers for being so inconsiderate, right?

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">You do realize that an MRI uses so much power that </span>
    ferromagnetic objects in the room must be bolted down or they would be literally picked up and pulled into the core of the magnet. More than enough power as to be unaffected by any metal in tattoo ink. Conceivably if the ink contained iron oxides the magnetic field could heat them up and possibly burn the person. Besides it is two different situations. One is optical and the other magnetic.

The problem is not the possibility of damage to the MRI machine. It is the possibility of the shredding of the tissue where the magnetic ink is imbedded.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    westcoast8westcoast8 Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by USB- View Post

And news flash, but tattoos have existed long before the Apple Watch, or any watch for that matter. Apple should have realized this when they were making it. Products must be designed to fit in with society, not the other way around. Seems to me like this is Apple's problem, not the customers'.

And how does Apple have a problem at all?

As Apple does state: Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it.

Quote: What else affects your reading?

Many factors can affect the performance of the Apple Watch heart rate sensor. Skin perfusion is one. A fancy way of describing how much blood flows through your skin, skin perfusion varies significantly from person to person and can also be impacted by the environment. If you’re exercising in the cold, for example, the skin perfusion in your wrist may be too low for the heart rate sensor to get a reading.

Motion is another factor that can affect the heart rate sensor. Rhythmic movements, such as running or cycling, give better results compared to irregular movements, like tennis or boxing.

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can also impact heart rate sensor performance. The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

If you’re not able to get a consistent reading because of any of these factors, you can connect your Apple Watch wirelessly to external heart rate monitors such as Bluetooth chest straps.

Heart rate is just one of many factors that Apple Watch uses to measure your activity and exercise. Depending on your workout, it selects the most appropriate inputs for that activity. For example, when you’re running indoors, it also uses the accelerometer. When you’re cycling outdoors, it uses the GPS in your iPhone. And even when you’re not in a dedicated workout, it tracks how much you move each day. So Apple Watch can give you the information — and the motivation — to improve your fitness and your health.

• Reply 85 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

What about on colored people? I saw this real stupid article yesterday, asking if the Apple Watch works on people of color. 

Will the Apple Watch’s coolest feature work for people of color?

http://fusion.net/story/60771/will-the-apple-watchs-coolest-feature-work-for-people-of-color/

"Colored people"? Unless you are transparent, we are all people of color.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

That word you just used, "colored", is not something that is acceptable nowadays to talk about people with non-white skin tones. Many people find it offensive.

I agree, Mobius. I am one of those people who find it extremely offensive.

• Reply 86 of 122
    usb-usb- Posts: 22member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Westcoast8 View Post

And how does Apple have a problem at all?

As Apple does state: Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it.

So they found a work-around. Fantastic. But don't go making fun of people with tattoos just because they can't use the full functionality of a piece of tech. If you don't like tats, come up with a better argument

• Reply 87 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

So they found a work-around. Fantastic. But don't go making fun of people with tattoos just because they can't use the full functionality of a piece of tech. If you don't like tats, come up with a better argument

In my opinion, tattoos are foolish. If you already have tattoos, you'll probably have a different opinion.

• Reply 88 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In my opinion, tattoos are foolish. If you already have tattoos, you'll probably have a different opinion.

You know I heard a great quote the other day. "people who have tattoos do't give a crap that you don't" and from what I've seen it's true. You never see tatted people complaining about how silly people without tattoos look. They wouldn't be averse to hiring someone just because they don't have a tattoo. So why should we be so biased against them?

• Reply 89 of 122
    lord amhranlord amhran Posts: 902member
    Quote:

That's fine and I fully respect your opinion and certainly won't tell you it's wrong. I'll just respectfully disagree with it.

• Reply 90 of 122
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The problem is not the possibility of damage to the MRI machine. It is the possibility of the shredding of the tissue where the magnetic ink is imbedded.

I've never heard of shredding tissue. Burning I think could be possible. Tattoos are below the epidermis so I guess that is technically in the tissue. I can't see how a tattoo could cause damage to the MRI machine, although a loose magnetic item like an unsecured fire extinguisher sailing across the room and striking the patient in the head could perhaps leave a mark.

• Reply 91 of 122
    Quote:

You know I heard a great quote the other day. "people who have tattoos do't give a crap that you don't" and from what I've seen it's true. You never see tatted people complaining about how silly people without tattoos look. They wouldn't be averse to hiring someone just because they don't have a tattoo. So why should we be so biased against them?

People I know or have known I will never criticize their decision to have a tattoo. Why would I? What they do to their own body is none of my business. As I said before, if I was considering two similar candidates for a job position and one was covered with tattoos, I'd seriously consider not hiring them.

• Reply 92 of 122
    Quote:

People I know or have known I will never criticize their decision to have a tattoo. Why would I? What they do to their own body is none of my business. As I said before, if I was considering two similar candidates for a job position and one was covered with tattoos, I'd seriously consider not hiring them.

Well that's kinda unprofessional, dontcha think?

I mean, what if the tattooed guy had skill that the other one didn't? The man who landed the Philae lander on the comet  67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko had tattoos all up and down his arms

• Reply 93 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You could the say the same thing about many things.

People with Purple dyed hair don't give a crap that you don't.

Just saying its not a good argument.  

Fair enough. Personally, I'm rather partial to my scarlet hair, but if you don't like it that's your problem not mine

• Reply 94 of 122
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Really?  Without any context?  What if the rest of your team had tattoos?  What do you think they would of your small-minded and bigoted decision?

• Reply 95 of 122
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Like there aren't thugs in every race.

It may sound crazy, but the meanings of words change over time. It's normal, and common. "Gay" doesn't mean what it used to and "data" is rarely plural any more. 

• Reply 96 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Ever noticed how people with tattoos don't berate people who don't tattoos but it's rife the other way around.

It's almost like that someone else's skin has got something to do with you.

People can go and get swastika tattoos and 666 satan markings on their foreheads for all I care. Weirdos are gonna weird out. That's just how things are. I don't care about any tattooed people or their tattoos, that's their business.

When these people complain that an Apple product doesn't function properly on their tattooed skin, then it becomes my business. 

• Reply 97 of 122
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

^ Really?  Seems like it has nothing to do with you at all and is entirely between Apple and its tattooed customers.

• Reply 98 of 122
    Quote:

Well that's kinda unprofessional, dontcha think?

I mean, what if the tattooed guy had skill that the other one didn't? The man who landed the Philae lander on the comet  67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko had tattoos all up and down his arms

Did you notice this?

"...if I was considering two similar candidates..."

Also, what is "unprofessional" about being selective with job candidates? I've no desire to hire a person whose personal image would reflect badly on my company.

• Reply 99 of 122
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

It may sound crazy, but the meanings of words change over time. It's normal, and common. "Gay" doesn't mean what it used to and "data" is rarely plural any more. 

Yes, they do. You are correct. 

Anybody who objects to the word "thug" is themselves a language thug. These bullies, lunatics and thugs do not get to set the rules over what words are acceptable or not. Giving in to their definition and their interpretation of words is to give in to evil, making yourself part of the problem.

• Reply 100 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

^ Really?  Seems like it has nothing to do with you at all and is entirely between Apple and its tattooed customers.

Anything that has to do with Apple has to do with me. I do have a few shares of AAPL, so that makes anything Apple related my business, and I am certainly going to give my two cents whenever I feel for it.