Cook says 20% of iPhone install base upgraded to iPhone 6, 6 Plus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,031member
    Not everyone upgrades every year, so it makes sense that a lot of people are waiting for contracts to expire or simply to allocate the money for the next revision. A good percentage are probably waiting for the 6s or 7 or whatever it's called.

So these sales numbers are staggeringly good since they are mostly first time users or switchers.

Of course why the stock price has dropped this morning is unanswerable...

When you couple this with the incredibly high custsat ratings, Apple, as long as they don't screw the ecosystem or quality up, is continually expanding the massive upgrade cycle revenue each year.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitol View Post

I can't stand the power button directly across the volume button on the iphone 6.

That is annoying!

The 6 is my first iPhone so I had no preconceptions, but that is the first HW thing that struck me. Probably no big deal for the phone in itself, but it's a very bad design choice, knowing people are likely to use a case which is likely to make the buttons harder to press.

• Reply 43 of 47
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Thats not true at all. The iPhone 6 has a smaller footprint compared to my 5s. People need to factor in thinness.

You've misunderstood the concept of footprint. It is a measure of area, not volume. The thinness is irrelevant. Within reason, hiow thick a phone is has little bearing on how it fits in a hand or pocket - width and height are the significant measurements.

I'm not upgrading to a 6 - too big.

I could cope an iPhone being a tad wider than the 5s, and there seems to be room to increasing screen height without increasing overall height by reducing the top and bottom bezel size. 4.3" would be good form factor if this were done.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

maybe not all iPhone 5 users dont need to upgrade every year like the hardcore 20% who are fans of Apple. Additionally, its not too big for peoples hands thats why its the best selling smartphone on the market.

I would not assume that every iPhone user who upgraded to the iPhone 6 or 6 plus upgraded from an iPhone 5S after only one year.  My guess is that many of them upgraded from the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 after two or three years.

The iPhone 6 is not too big for some people's hands.  It is too big for others.  That's one reason why the iPhone 5S and 5C are still selling.

• Reply 45 of 47
    pappy53pappy53 Posts: 1member

iPhone base--  about 400 million

Upgrades--  400 million X 20% = 80 million.

Approximately 135 million sold in 2 quarters. So, around 55 million new users.

• Reply 46 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    pappy53 wrote: »
    iPhone base--  about 400 million

Upgrades--  400 million X 20% = 80 million.

Approximately 135 million sold in 2 quarters. So, around 55 million new users.

I assumed about 500M but even then that's 35M