Apple overhauling data services 'front-to-back' for future version of Maps, job listing reveals

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member

This is the reason why Apple is probably not interested in buying Nokia Here entirely.  They could always license parts of it.

Here has a ton of good stuff but some of it may not be of the quality that Apple needs (like the street view and 3D stuff) and a lot of it will lose value as the OpenSource community catches up.

From WikiPedia...

" In 2012, the launch of pricing for Google Maps led several prominent websites to switch from their service to OpenStreetMap and other competitors.[19] Chief amongst these were FoursquareCraigslist who adopted OpenStreetMap, and Apple, which ended a contract with Google and launched a self-built mapping platform which uses TomTom and OpenStreetMap data. "

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/42.72892/-73.67854

Basic street map data should be free.  Companies can charge for additional layers of info on top of the basic street map. (Like POI for example)

That's the approach I think Apple will take.  Use OpenStreetMap and license as little maps data as possible from good sources and then add proprietary layers of info on top of it.  I hope Apple continues to support OpenStreetMap which is actually quite good.  

This is the same way Apple use BSD with Cocoa on top for OS X and CocoaTouch on top for iOS.

Uber should do the same and create or license it's own proprietary layers.

• Reply 22 of 25
    mgcsoonermgcsooner Posts: 13member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hellofriend View Post

Apple's Maps app, on both OS X and iOS, allow you to "Report a Problem" by clicking on a POI (point of interest) or dropping a pin and clicking on it. Scroll down to the bottom of the pop-up window if you don't see the selection button. Options listed may include: "Location is missing", "Wrong location on map", "Location details incorrect", "Location or information incorrect", "Location is closed", and "My problem isn't listed" depending upon the OS and whether a POI or dropped pin. Selecting one of these choices allow you to reposition a pin, add or correct details, and add a photo.

Thanks.  I have reported it three times. They are missing an areas with more than 2500 homes already built in last yr. 

• Reply 23 of 25
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mgcsooner wrote: »
    About time. Apple Maps continues to fall behind other sources.

works fine here (new orleans, major metro city). i dont use google maps anymore and haven't for a couple years.

I live in a new area in fastest growing metro region in the country, and Apple maps is more than a year behind Google,

The Villages? I'm not so sure about that...it's an incorporated senior/retirement community. my dad lives here and people drive golf carts to the artificial city centers....not exactly a major metro.

and has no user edit capabilities to add missing data. I can't even send them a pic of the current map. I love their products but this one is not good. I sure hope they address this.

ok thats your complaint. user-editing.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

works fine here (new orleans, major metro city). i dont use google maps anymore and haven't for a couple years.

The Villages? I'm not so sure about that...it's an incorporated senior/retirement community. my dad lives here and people drive golf carts to the artificial city centers....not exactly a major metro.

ok thats your complaint. user-editing.

I'm glad it's useful there for you.  Here, it isn't so much.  Google is the most up-to-date, even map quest or Bing maps is better for here.  It just irks me that I can't even send Apple a pdf doc with corrections.. and I've offered.  

Yep, it's an all inclusive retirement community ..lot's of $$$ here too. It's been called the Disneyland for retirees.  And yeah there's more carts here than cars.  

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102538081 Here's a CNBC link regarding TV as fastest growing metro in US, one of many. I didn't say it was a major metro area, about 175K in area of which 115K are estimated to live in The Villages proper.  The rest more or less live off of The Villages.  TV sprawls across 3 counties.

• Reply 25 of 25
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 631member
    mgcsooner wrote: »
    About time. Apple Maps continues to fall behind other sources. I live in a new area in fastest growing metro region in the country, and Apple maps is more than a year behind Google, and has no user edit capabilities to add missing data. I can't even send them a pic of the current map. I love their products but this one is not good. I sure hope they address this.

Maybe you need to talk to Apple support... I send them pics of the current Apple Map all the time. You simply take a screenshot by holding down the power button and the Home Button simultaneously.... Then while in Apple Maps Report A Problem, you select the pic from your Camera Roll.