Apple reportedly iced plans to build television set, looks to debut new Apple TV at WWDC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member

More than likely, Apple's TV was killed by the Comcasts, TWCs, and other media companies that would not release the programming to them at a reasonable price.  Without available shows, no TV will survive.  

• Reply 22 of 65
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

More than likely, Apple's TV was killed by the Comcasts, TWCs, and other media companies that would not release the programming to them at a reasonable price.  Without available shows, no TV will survive.  

That's a good point.

• Reply 23 of 65
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

I dunno.  I think MS is onto something with their Surface Hub.  There definitely can be a viable market for a "smart" TV in the living room, conference room, and maybe even the classroom.

MS is up to no good.  No one wants to a TV strapped to their face all the time.  Their demo was completely impractical.

The TV anywhere, anytime approach that Apple is taking with iPhone, iPad and AppleTV minimizes their risk and maximizes their profit.

Most people would  not run out and buy an Apple LCD right now because they already have one or more. 

Samsung, Sony, Sharp, LG,  already make huge displays at very low margins.

• Reply 24 of 65
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Makes perfect sense. I never saw how good it was for a high-margin corporation to get into low-margin commodities.

• Reply 25 of 65
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

I dont want a Router in my living room next to TV Set

I dont want a STB for Cables

I dont want a NAS for recording and storing TV EPs.

I dont want a Apple TV box under it either.

And since they are all next to the TV I really wish they could be combined together.

As a matter of fact this is already happening with Android TV Set, apart from the Router part.

When Mi, LetTV or many other Chinese company could afford to make TV set at half the normal Retailing price of Sony and Samsung.

Surely there must be something wrong with the perception of TV being a low margin business. 

• Reply 26 of 65
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Apple has already built 4 TV sets and a 5th set is on the way.

The sizes are 4.7", 5.5", 7.9", 9.7" respectively and a 13" is on the way.

Apple's built TV's longer than that.

And yes, it has full TV functionality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schlack View Post

Apple needs market share and momentum to build their ecosystem. The way to do that is with a $100 steamer on every set in the house. Not an expensive TV in the living room that only gets upgraded every 10 years.

This is why they'll never do a game console.

• Reply 27 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Why not? Apple makes better phones, tablets, and watches than both companies utilizing components made by Samsung / LG.  So there's no reason why Apple can't do the same with TV.  The secret sauce is in the integration of the hardware / OS / services which neither Samsung nor LG can seem to replicate.  They are slowly being relegated to component manufacturers.

But people want that in boxes like current ?TV, not big ass TV sets that get updated once every 10 years.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    like it or not, the top 1% own half the world's wealth. you go where the money goes.

So what does a TV for the 1%'ers look like?
  • Reply 29 of 65
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

good question. wish I had an answer. Maybe made of Rose Gold?

• Reply 30 of 65
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Buy a Smart TV this year, and it's obsolete when Skylake comes out. Buy a dumb TV and it's still good.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »

Why DirecTV of course.

• Reply 32 of 65
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Buy a Smart TV this year, and it's obsolete when Skylake comes out. Buy a dumb TV and it's still good.

The Smart TV will still be good as well. It can also play the part of a dumb TV.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    like it or not, the top 1% own half the world's wealth. you go where the money goes.

That doesn't matter. Say you sell 10 TVs per person in the 1%. How many TV's is that?
  • Reply 34 of 65
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member

While referring to TV Steve Jobs once said, "I finally cracked it."  

I guess we now know what Steve was talking about.  He must have thrown a brick at his TV and busted the poor thing.

No Apple TV "set" I guess.  Makes sense.  SIRI wouldn't set an Apple TV Set apart, especially when it hears you about as well as the Newton once read handwriting.  (For the record, my Newton 2100 is pretty good at cursive handwriting detection, but SIRI on my WIFI iPad stinks like a sewer.  I love Apple.  It saddens me to say it.)

• Reply 35 of 65
    jonljonl Posts: 210member

Oh noz, we all know what this means...

Apple is doomed!

I hope the story is true. Producing an actual TV has always seemed nuts. It's a low margin business, and with plasma gone and OLED still too expensive, the remaining technology, LCD, sucks as it always has and apparently always will. They'd have to redesign their stores if they wanted to sell them there. It appears they will instead sell a box and service. That's what they've always needed to do. A TV can just be a dumb output device, the dumber the better, in fact, a fact I wish the manufacturers would catch onto.

• Reply 36 of 65
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I think it's the opposite. A TV can display content from Comcast's cable box. Does Samsung and LG and Vizio have deals with Comcast? A streamer box is dead without shows.

• Reply 37 of 65
    konqerror wrote: »

I think it's the opposite. A TV can display content from Comcast's cable box. Does Samsung and LG and Vizio have deals with Comcast? A streamer box is dead without shows.
    Does Apple have a deal with Comcast?
  • Reply 38 of 65
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member

If you want to drag that old relic into the debate....
    They did do a game console, with Bandai. The Pippin. I saw it for sale in Japan.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    williamh wrote: »
    If you want to drag that old relic into the debate....
    They did do a game console, with Bandai. The Pippin. I saw it for sale in Japan.

Apple didn't have a ton to do with that, hence why it was the Bandai Pippin.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    adamwadamw Posts: 114guest
    TV sets are a tough competitive business. Apple probably did the right thing sticking with the Apple TV box instead.