Apple reportedly iced plans to build television set, looks to debut new Apple TV at WWDC

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Plastic computers usually have HDDs, and CD/DVD drives that make them heavier. It's not the material that makes them weigh more but what's inside. The same would not be true with TVs.

So did my old macbook pro.  Hell of a lot lighter than the Toshiba my co-worker had.

• Reply 62 of 65
    justinpejustinpe Posts: 32member
    Quote:

An Apple branded TV, with iOS built in, as well as Facetime camera, Siri, gesture control, etc would be pretty damn tempting.

I agree that having an ? TV built-in to your television would be nice; however, I won't be in the market for a new TV for another 10 years or so, and there are a lot of people in the same situation. I also can't imagine Apple getting into such a low-margin business. Besides, the features you mentioned can be implemented in a setup box just as well as a fully integrated TV, and in some cases even better than an all-in-oe solution. FaceTime, for example, works great with an iOS device and the ? TV currently. If the camera was integrated into your TV, you wouldn't be able to reposition it or take the conversation into different rooms of the house. Plus, there is the whole big brother issue that seems to be making consumers cautious of cameras in their living rooms. Siri can be easily integrated into stop box as well as gesture controls, so I don't really see an Apple TV set as being innovative or profitable.

I think for Apple to get into the TV business there would have to be some killer feature or functionality that would change the game entirely, but I just don't see that potential with today's current technology.

• Reply 63 of 65
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So what does a TV for the 1%'ers look like?

1% of the US pop is a lot of wealth, but 1% for the world pop is not as high as you would expect it to be.

Its a 105 inch curved OLED or they build their own theater the top end digital projector, whichever they feel like it.

• Reply 64 of 65
    rollrrrollrr Posts: 2member
    Stop trying to solve this prediction with current technology. Think about the future. Apple will not build a TV until we see rollable OLED which is as soon as 2017 by LG and or Samsung. Plastic rollable 4k screen in sizes up to 60" initially solve all mentioned problems...Weight, sizes, durability, portability see it at RollRR.com