Apple's iOS drives 75% of Google's mobile advertising revenue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Actually now that I think about it... the ads people see on websites are dependent on the websites themselves. I understand Apple can always change the default search engine to anything they like but after a user visits a website they will see the ads installed on that site. I don't think Apple can really do too much about that. And I also don't believe Apple would ever change settings not to allow the user to select their preferred search engine to any of the four main ones they want. 

The only way anyone can really hurt Google in terms of ad revenue is if more websites start dropping Adsense for alternatives and that really has nothing to do with Apple. That is where most money comes from not from ads via a search which is much smaller. 

• Reply 22 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MathieuLLF View Post

You're probably in the US. Where I am local results on Duck Duck Go are extremely hit and miss.

If you would have said that in the first place I wouldn't have thought you didn't try DDG and were lying through your teeth.

Also.  If you search with a location there's a "places tab" on OS X Safari.

On iOS, Maps will show you local listings.

• Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

If you would have said that in the first place I wouldn't have thought you didn't try DDG and were lying through your teeth.

Also.  If you search with a location there's a "places tab" on OS X Safari.

On iOS, Maps will show you local listings.

Of course I've tried DDG. I'm not lying about their logo being ugly though. The duck could have been done so much better. Not a deal breaker though. The deal breaker for me was that I could never get local results and that's pretty much what I use search for mainly.

• Reply 24 of 80
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

Of course iOS devices are an important revenue source for Google.  But don't be fooled: Apple controls a part of the chain, namely the search.  For ads in apps, it is the app developer who decides which ad service is used.  And because Google has a very compelling offer for a combined approach covering Android, iOS and the desktop, it is used in a lot of apps.

Even if Apple would change the default engine, I will immediately set it back Google, as the competitive engines score very poorly in my local market

• Reply 25 of 80
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

Apple has no reason to dump Google as a search engine.

Google has no reason to dump Apple as a supported platform.

Fans on both sides need to get over it.

Google has no reason to dump Apple as a supported platform. In fact, Google cannot afford to dump Apple as a supported platform.

Apple, on the other hand, has massive reasons to dump Google if they can. By keeping Google, Apple is providing Google with a ton of data and information which allows Google to enhance its services as well as enhance Android, the iPhone's largest competitor, and easily Apple's greatest existing threat.

• Reply 26 of 80
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    addicted44 wrote: »
    Google has no reason to dump Apple as a supported platform. In fact, Google cannot afford to dump Apple as a supported platform.

Apple, on the other hand, has massive reasons to dump Google if they can. By keeping Google, Apple is providing Google with a ton of data and information which allows Google to enhance its services as well as enhance Android, the iPhone's largest competitor, and easily Apple's greatest existing threat.
    Why is Google a threat to Apple? Honest question.

What could Google possibly do to harm Apple and why would they want to?
  • Reply 27 of 80
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Whatever Apple decides to do in this sphere, I hope its foray into search will be less cumbersome and hesitant than its moves into maps (much better, but still leaves a lot to be desired), email (I barely use my Apple Mail account anymore), social (we all know about that one), and web browsing (much improved now). They're all decent-to-good, but none of them hits the ball out of the park for me.

Also, I hope that Apple does not dump Google for Yahoo (cr4p), Bing (I don't know anyone that uses it except Microsoft employees), or DuckDuckGo (limited). That would be a huge mistake, in my view.

I really do not believe that Apple has to do everything for everybody. It does great hardware and software, and has an incredible ecosystem to go with that. That is more than sufficient to build on. Much as I am not a fan of Google, I do think that their search dominates the globe for a reason. Apple has to play well with the dominant players in their respective areas of specialization whether we want it or like it or not.

Apple will move into search if it serves their ecosystem better than Google, Bing or DuckDuckGo do. And personally, I don't mind dealing with the growing pains of new services if it means cutting loose of any and all of Google's services. Been using DuckDuckGo for a couple of years now and their service has gotten much better. I just hope they keep their promise and never advertise.

I honestly think Apple is eventually going to build out Spotlight into a full fledged web-search engine - and switch it on as a new backend service for Siri.

• Reply 28 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MessagePad2100 View Post

I love using Duck Duck Go.  Usually the first couple of results are all I need, because I'm usually looking for an official website or Wikipedia.  (Siri takes care of a lot of the rest of my queries.)

It's clean and fast and has a picture of a duck instead of the ugly google logo.

I also actually like buying apps so I don't have to deal with advertisements.

I do wish Safari had a pop up blocker.

Just switched to DuckDuck go! :)

• Reply 29 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Why is Google a threat to Apple? Honest question.

What could Google possibly do to harm Apple and why would they want to?

Google is a threat to everyone whether it's a monetary threat is another issue. Each one of its viable products is a competitor to someone in different categories: social network, desktop OS, mobile OS, TV set box, etc.
  • Reply 30 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    If Apple drops Google as the default, who wants to bet Google cries to the DOJ.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

The problems between the two can be chalked up to a personal issue between Steve Jobs and Schmidt IMO and not any true market or financial harm that Google caused Apple. Just my opinion.

The first part is correct up to 'IMHO'... after that ... Ha!

Steve had a damn good and justified reason to go ballistic.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jungmark wrote: »
    If Apple drops Google as the default, who wants to bet Google cries to the DOJ.

Well I'd just love for it to get to that point. However as long as anyone can type 'Google's URL in Safari I can't see it being an issue.

The main thing here is Apple do not need Google, Google based on this (assuming it is accurate) really need Apple. Cut the ties Apple!
  • Reply 33 of 80
    jungmark wrote: »
    Google is a threat to everyone whether it's a monetary threat is another issue. Each one of its viable products is a competitor to someone in different categories: social network, desktop OS, mobile OS, TV set box, etc.
    How do they threaten Apple specifically?
  • Reply 34 of 80
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    By not upgrading their map app until after Apple maps came out, by bypassing Apple's cookie blocker which resulted in fine, etc. etc.
  • Reply 35 of 80
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    Talk about having the proverbial "bull by the balls!"
  • Reply 36 of 80
    rickag wrote: »
    By not upgrading their map app until after Apple maps came out, by bypassing Apple's cookie blocker which resulted in fine, etc. etc.
    Was that supposed to be examples of Google harming Apple? I seem to remember reading right here at AI that Google didn't mind offering TBT data to Apple for Apple's map app that used Google mapping. In return they wanted it branded as Google Maps somehow, and reportedly wanted to be able to log user travels (location data) as well. It wasn't that they refused to give Apple features they wanted if the reports are accurate. It was that they didn't want to do so for free. There was to be a give an take.

So Apple preferred to do their own maps, as no one should have been surprised about since they'd been accumulating mapping/location-centric companies for a few years, dating back to at least 2009. Remember Placebase? In fact I don't think even Google Maps for Android had turn-by-turn when Apple began developing their own maps plans. Laying the blame on Google not giving Apple the same app that Android had is a silly claim. Apple already planned to dump Google maps IMHO, and it didn't matter what they offered Apple. IMO they already figured it was more valuable for them to do their own service rather than contribute to an outside partner.

They wouldn't be the first Apple partner and service provider that found themselves out in the cold once Apple realized an advantage from taking it for themselves and they won't be the last I'm sure. That's business.

EDIT: Apple's version of Google Now to be called Proactive?
  • Reply 37 of 80
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

How do they threaten Apple specifically?

By developing Android and making it available to phone manufacturers for free, they facilitate the development of devices that compete directly with Apple's devices. Sure, some of those devices are cheap crap sold to people who can't afford a premium Apple device, but there's no denying that some of the higher-end Android devices compete directly with iPhones and iPads, even if you and I agree that the Android devices are generally inferior. As I'm sure you know, not everybody agrees with us, and a lot of people don't pay enough attention to even understand the difference.

Apple typically sells as many devices as it can manufacture for the first few months of production for a new device, but I think the capacity is also planned with the understanding that it is costly to build a lot of extra capacity that will only be needed for a few weeks or months. If they needed to make twice as many phones on an ongoing basis, they would find a way, as we have seen over successive generations. If there were no Android devices out there, Apple would be selling even more iPhones and iPads than they are now (although it's hard to say exactly how many). Also, if anybody ever has a prayer of coming out with something really comparable to or better than an iPhone or iPad in the foreseeable future, it will most likely run a future version of Android. I say this because it seems evident to me that Android is qualitatively in second place after iOS (although some would of course argue that it is in first place).

• Reply 38 of 80
    retrogusto wrote: »

By developing Android and making it available to phone manufacturers for free, they facilitate the development of devices that compete directly with Apple's devices. Sure, some of those devices are cheap crap sold to people who can't afford a premium Apple device, but there's no denying that some of the higher-end Android devices compete directly with iPhones and iPads, even if you and I agree that the Android devices are generally inferior. As I'm sure you know, not everybody agrees with us, and a lot of people don't pay enough attention to even understand the difference.
    I wonder how many hundreds of billions more Apple could stash away in a bank unused if Android didn't exist. Gosh, they really are being hurt by Google. Hardly fair really to try and compete with a search and services company that doesn't sell hardware like you do.

Now that you've brought to my attention and I've had time to think about it I bet if not for all the for all the competition from them in search, services and ads, Apple could have been the world's richest company.Heck maybe they coulda' even become the most valuable company on the planet. Darn Google.

:rolleyes:
  • Reply 39 of 80
    bradipaobradipao Posts: 145member
    There's also a "PageRank2" patent issued in 2006 and not expiring for several more years. Just sayin'...
    http://www.seobythesea.com/2006/06/pagerank-patent-updated/
    In addition Google is probably no longer relying on PageRank, having moved on since then.
    http://www.seobythesea.com/2014/12/replacement-pagerank/

In my opinion the "algorithm" is only a (very) small part of what you need to run a search engine. The hard part is the infrastructure (tens of data-center in the world, all of them connected, synchronized and mutually redundant) and the hidden private software that continuosly crawls, stores and updates a huge dataset. Probably in the world only Apple has the financial resources to compete with Google in this field, but it would be crazy to waste billion of dollars in such a non-profitable way.
  • Reply 40 of 80
    I wonder how many hundreds of billions more Apple could stash away in a bank unused if Android didn't exist. Gosh, they really are being hurt by Google. Hardly fair really to try and compete with a search and services company that doesn't sell hardware like you do.

Now that you've brought to my attention and I've had time to think about it I bet if not for all the for all the competition from them in search, services and ads, Apple could have been the world's richest company.Heck maybe they coulda' even become the most valuable company on the planet. Darn Google.

:rolleyes:

You're funny, you're a Google fan who spends his day on an Apple news website. Something funny about that. Anyways, after poking at people to say why Google is a threat to Apple, as if you have some hidden gem of logic you're ready to bestow on the lucky one who answers, even though everyone with common sense already knows they compete against each other, and I honestly don't care to change your mind on that... When someone finally takes your bait and says why Google is a threat, you respond with, well why is that such a big problem!
    I'm gonna guess you're a teenager by your style of communication and logic. Am I close? Are you younger than that or older?