Apple expects half of top US merchants will accept Apple Pay by end of 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

RiteAid is one of the merchants that is intentionally blocking ?Pay. Walmart is another. They are part of MCX (Merchant Exchange) which is a competing payment method to ?Pay. As the big chain stores and many smaller shops upgrade to the new standard for plastic cards, ?Pay will become ubiquitous. That should be in late October 2015. After that point those blocking ?Pay might start to see the hurt in a major way because there will be plenty of options to shop elsewhere to pay as you like.

The weirdness is that Apple rolled out ?Pay way ahead of the government's requirement to upgrade POS (point of sales) terminals. Your bank has to sign on to ?Pay, the merchant is automatically opted in unless they intentionally go out of their way to block it — like RiteAid did.

• Reply 22 of 46
    agramonteagramonte Posts: 345member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

Guess I won't be shopping at Giant any more either and I live right near their headquarters. Weis Markets and BJs is supporting Apple Pay so I'll be shopping there.

yeah, you are a minority and they know it. Most people are not going to go out of their way just so they can pay with a phone.

• Reply 23 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,382member
    agramonte wrote: »

yeah, you are a minority and they know it. Most people are not going to go out of their way just so they can pay with a phone.
    Tend to agree. It's more of a geek thing at the moment. It won't get wide use until there's something in it to reward the customer besides "security" and something adding noticable revenue opportunities for the accepting retailer. The rewards programs mentioned by both Apple Pay and Android Pay will perhaps go a ways towards making both parties happier.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    "What is the return on investment?" Ahold USA executive Maureen Elworthy is quoted as saying at an industry event. "The [return] is negative." Ahold USA is the parent company of supermarket chains Giant and Stop&Shop, among others."

The return is a happy customer, dick.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 281member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

I won't go WAY out of my way to use my phone or watch, but I will drive another a mile or 2 to use it, in a heartbeat.  It absolutely influences my shopping decisions.  What is becoming more annoying is stores that fully support Apple Pay, but their terminal is broken.  I have received many a free breakfast at McDonalds after holding up a long line.  "Just take it, our terminal is broken"

• Reply 26 of 46
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

"Another stumbling block --?cited by 19 of the retailers -- is the restrictive nature of their MCX agreements"

In context of the article, this reads as if you were saying  "...the restrictive nature of Apple's MCX agreements"

• Reply 27 of 46
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

If somebody could assemble a list of merchants who are outrightly refusing to support ?Pay, that would be awesome.

I mean, it's perfectly within their right to do so. I would just prefer to support businesses that support ?Pay. It's that simple.

• Reply 28 of 46
    sunwukongsunwukong Posts: 20member

I thought HEB was still going to just allow NFC type payments with their own mobile app?  If they get Apple Pay that will help me out a lot.  I've been starting to look at alternatives to HEB that will support this payment method.  If they think they are going to get me to use a redundant, merchant-specific app so they can hit my bank account directly and avoid CC fees, they are very much mistaken.  We use CC so that everything is easily tracked and monitored and we basically only pay one bill a month for all that we use it for, not 1000 individual hits on checking account.  I get to better manage my monty and accounting and keep my money longer.  Sorry about their CC fees, but I'm not switching to debit just to use their app. Forget that.

• Reply 29 of 46
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    jkichline wrote: »
    My business credit card was just compromised and my personal credit card gets compromised about once a year. If these stores don't provide support for Apple Pay soon, I will no longer be going to those stores. I'm sick of my credit card getting stolen and having to go through the headache of changing information each time.

yep. just happened to me this year, too -- while at the check-out of a grocery w/ a cart full of groceries, card was shut down due to a compromise. and theyll never tell you who & what so you just gotta deal w/ it. took 30 minutes on the phone to get the bank to let me finish my groceries transaction before canceling the card.

so anybody who says "Oh it's no big deal to get a new card..." i say: bullshit. it was a major, embarrassing hassle.

ironically, we were attempting to use AP at the time, and it was the card registered w/ AP that had been shut down! in time, that wont happen anymore.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    slurpy wrote: »
    ""What is the return on investment?" Ahold USA executive Maureen Elworthy is quoted as saying at an industry event. "The [return] is negative." Ahold USA is the parent company of supermarket chains Giant and Stop&Shop, among others."

Fucking moron. A better customer experience is the return on investment, you dipshit. Amazing how these short sighted douchebags are in executive positions.

it's surely proximity theory -- they were in the right place, right time, to become the dipshits they are.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I use it at Sprouts as well, but the other day I had to return something and they made me swipe the credit card. I suppose they are able to record my personal information because of the swipe. I returned some merchandise at Home Depot (when they still accepted ?Pay) and I didn't have to do anything, it just went back on the card. I have seen a number of clerks that are clueless about ?Pay. Perhaps Apple needs better training and support for the proper usage and protocols.

I agree. And this is exactly why rushing ?Pay to all of their customers is a mistake. I constantly have to defend Siri to my friends who use the iPhone because it can be frustrating for them, because they won't take the time to learn how to use it. Siri is by no means perfect for me, but I find it an incredibly useful tool for much of how I use it, and I did have to take the time to learn how to make it work effectively for me.

People are sheep, and when these new chip & pin cards go online in October, things are just going to be a mess. Most people won't have a chipped card by then thanks to the slow rollout by the banks, ?Pay won't even be supported by half the top retailers, POS systems won't be properly configured, employees won't be trained how to use them, cards with chips will have to be inserted in a different way, and still require a signature as most banks won't be activating the PINs, and then you have situations like you faced at Sprouts, where you made a purchase on one device and were forced to return it on another. If Apple launches a huge campaign at that time, many customers will get turned off. Meanwhile, spending the extra money to re-engineer and test the 5C to include an NFC antenna to support ?Pay, which won't be fully supported everywhere until the end of 2016 at best, for a free phone to be used by people who don't really have money to spend anyway, just doesn't make sense, and will likely cause more frustration with ?Pay than anything else. 

Apple is doing the right thing here.

• Reply 32 of 46
    agramonte wrote: »

i do. Walgreens and CVS right across from each other. guess which one i go to every single time now? Walgreens, because they take AP. i even preferred the interior of CVS, but the data & breach-hassle benefits come first for me.

ive also emailed, facebooked, and twittered them the same. i wasnt alone.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

My business credit card was just compromised and my personal credit card gets compromised about once a year. If these stores don't provide support for Apple Pay soon, I will no longer be going to those stores. I'm sick of my credit card getting stolen and having to go through the headache of changing information each time.

Same motivation I've had: my personal card got hit twice within a year and as it's what I exclusively used for groceries and gas I know down to two who the culprit was. I can't (yet) do anything about the gas but my grocery shopping choice is now driven by who accepts Apple Pay, if I have to go to my old chain I will only use cash. And, sadly for them, though I've read they're in line to start accepting Apple Pay I sort of like the new store (a Wegmans) and might just not go back.

• Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Tend to agree. It's more of a geek thing at the moment. It won't get wide use until there's something in it to reward the customer besides "security" and something adding noticable revenue opportunities for the accepting retailer. The rewards programs mentioned by both Apple Pay and Android Pay will perhaps go a ways towards making both parties happier.

It's a geek thing until you're one of the growing number of people who've received those cheerful notes from your card provider informing you you're getting a new card! Because some unnamed party compromised your old one, so scurry right about and change all the info on anything linked to that card....  for me twice was enough. For casual purchases it's now Apple Pay or cash.

And personal security and identity vulnerability just keeps getting more and more headlines: like the fed data breach just this week, or Home Depot, or Target or ACME... which means systems like Apple Pay gain more and more traction as far as I can judge it. Once it happens to you it becomes a lot more tangible as well and some of those breaches involved millions of people.

• Reply 35 of 46
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,295member
    I try and use Apple Pay every chance I get just because it's easier for me. I have yet to see anyone else use it. I look all the time and have never once seen anyone using NFC payments at all. This will take a lot longer to catch on than what Apple thinks it will.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    It's a geek thing until you're one of the growing number of people who've received those cheerful notes from your card provider informing you you're getting a new card! Because some unnamed party compromised your old one, so scurry right about and change all the info on anything linked to that card....  for me twice was enough. For casual purchases it's now Apple Pay or cash.

And personal security and identity vulnerability just keeps getting more and more headlines: like the fed data breach just this week, or Home Depot, or Target or ACME... which means systems like Apple Pay gain more and more traction as far as I can judge it.

Although I do agree with you about all the security tho G's you mentioned, it is still just a first adopter, geek thing, or what ever else you want to call it. People are slow to change to a new way when the current way works. Plus, people still don't get how to work it and are scared to try it out. You may think it's easy but the mass population don't have the tech knowledge we do on here.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Although I do agree with you about all the security tho G's you mentioned, it is still just a first adopter, geek thing, or what ever else you want to call it. People are slow to change to a new way when the current way works. Plus, people still don't get how to work it and are scared to try it out. You may think it's easy but the mass population don't have the tech knowledge we do on here.

That's a good point, you're right I had ignored the "tech" barrier and that's another aspect for sure, even with the motivation from compromised cards: we've been swiping a VERY long time... and people have proven to be very conservative about money, though as I recall the adoption of ATM's caught the industry by surprise at it's rapidity.

• Reply 38 of 46
    jfc1138 wrote: »

That's a good point, you're right I had ignored the "tech" barrier and that's another aspect for sure, even with the motivation from compromised cards: we've been swiping a VERY long time... and people have proven to be very conservative about money, though as I recall the adoption of ATM's caught the industry by surprise at it's rapidity.

ATMs caught on fast because people had faster access to thier money.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

ATMs caught on fast because people had faster access to thier money.

True: no more "banker's hours".

• Reply 40 of 46
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    jkichline wrote: »

Same here, I've had to replace my card for the last 3 years because of fraud!!!. The last time shortly before the iPhone 6 launched. I was in bed sleeping on a Saturday morning and got an phone call. It was Wells Fargo fraud department asking me if I was trying to buy some pills online I beleave, a couple times. Well they stopped it. But then having to go get a temp card at the bank, wait for a new one in the mail, and then having to update everyone I use with a credit card was a hassle. I was still fixing it a month later when I missed a few places that wanted to be paid!!!
    I use Apple Pay as much as I can but it's so limited.

Still Best Buy and now Target, both big CurrentC supporters have announced Apple Pay support. There is hope of others caving. When I have a choice I'll shop at the place supporting Apple Pay!!!