Apple's HealthKit has yet to realize its potential, thanks to lackadaisical third-party support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Why should third parties go out of their way to support it when Apple doesn't support it on their own hardware?!?

Does it work on an iPad? No. (Not portable, but great for viewing data.)

Does it work on an iPad mini? No. (Both portable and great for viewing data.)

Does it work on an Mac? No.

If you don't have an iPhone (or only the currently shipping iPod touch models), you can't use it. Period.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

*ahem* back on topic, if anyone still cares...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Presumably, this has happened because companies do not want to make it easy for their users to export data to competing platforms. They want to keep their customers "locked in."

Good luck with that.

As Apple continues to grow its own proprietary health and fitness ecosystem, instead of locking customers in, those third-party companies may soon find themselves locked out. And for a consumer who wants to keep using those fitness platforms, their inaction is both baffling and infuriating.

I bought the Apple Watch fully intending to stay with both Fitbit and RunKeeper for their established platforms and social connectivity, but at the moment it's a chore.

The good news is HealthKit is open for all iOS developers, and new options, whether from Apple itself or third-party developers, are bound to appear. If and when they do, I'll be inclined to try them out and see if they fit with my fitness and health tracking needs. I'm less committed to RunKeeper and Fitbit's platforms than ever before, thanks to their own presumed stubbornness.

Well, Neil...

On the one hand, FitBit and RunKeeper were already around for years with both hardware and tracking solutions via their own iOS apps and cloud services before HealthKit became available, so I can see them continuing to do the same through sheer inertia (principle of least effort). Secondarily, they aren't tied to Apple's iOS, which covers the (whatever) percent of their customer base who don't have a compatible iOS device. As an example, my FitBit One came with a (not sure why) "proprietary" BlueTooth dongle (oxymoron if ever there was one) which allowed my MacBook (or PC) to connect directly with their website and upload my activity in their cloud service. Years before the Apple Watch and HealthKit came along.

Like you, I would prefer to use HealthKit as the repository for this information, but unlike you, I feel no need to use both a FitBit and Apple Watch, as they are redundant as far as health tracking sensors go. I've got the Watch and that's replaced my FitBit. However, that's just me. The reality is that the sub-$100 fitness band market is pretty big, and will continue to grow without directly competing with Apple's more expensive (and more feature-rich) Watch. Thus, your concern still has merit: should these (cheap) fitness products support HealthKit as an option?

My prediction is that only market pressure from iOS users would make those companies support HealthKit. Aside from that, they have no real incentive to. If you're a FitBit or RunKeeper customer, and you want their products to support HealthKit, you should directly reach out to those companies and tell them to support HealthKit. Threatening not to "keep" their products is a toothless threat: they've already made a sale to you.

• Reply 23 of 40
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would assume that Fitbit like Apple would prefer to sell hardware rather than being relegated to a 3rd party software provider. I don't see much future for them if they can't do hardware.

No sarcasm: Doesn't Fitbit want the data (don't they sell it)?

Yep: http://www.fitbit.com/privacy

Did you misread?
    Quote:

3. We will never sell your data, and will only share personally identifiable data when you direct us to.

What do they mean by "your"? Deep in the terms of service, could they sell "aggregated" data? And if so, how much granularity is there.

Devil is in the details. 

• Reply 24 of 40
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pfisher wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »

runbuh wrote: »

gatorguy wrote: »
    I would assume that Fitbit like Apple would prefer to sell hardware rather than being relegated to a 3rd party software provider. I don't see much future for them if they can't do hardware.

No sarcasm: Doesn't Fitbit want the data (don't they sell it)?

Yep: http://www.fitbit.com/privacy

Did you misread?
    3. We will never sell your data, and will only share personally identifiable data when you direct us to.
    What do they mean by "your"? Deep in the terms of service, could they sell "aggregated" data? And if so, how much granularity is there.

Devil is in the details. 

Your specific data, and yours alone. Plus it doesn't say that they will, only that they might.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    scottkitts wrote: »
    Why should third parties go out of their way to support it when Apple doesn't support it on their own hardware?!?

If you don't have an iPhone (or only the currently shipping iPod touch models), you can't use it. Period.

you're talking about the Health app, which is not exactly the same thing as HealthKit. i don't know whether, say, a third-party iPad app that records blood pressure readings (Qardio) can write to your HK profile. ill try it and see.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    scottkitts wrote: »

you're talking about the Health app, which is not exactly the same thing as HealthKit. i don't know whether, say, a third-party iPad app that records blood pressure readings (Qardio) can write to your HK profile. ill try it and see.

Initially a third party app couldn't share to the Health app, but it seems like that was changed.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Sure they benefit. With Apple Pay you have to buy the hardware plus they get a piece of every purchase. With HomeKit there will be hardware purchases plus licensing fees. Everything Apple does is to make themselves money.

Gee, you're a bright one. Of course what Apple wants to do is make money... that's the point of running a business, isn't it?

You really think people are buying iPhones just to use Apple Pay, HealthKit, and HomeKit? No they aren't. It's a side benefit of entering the Apple ecosystem. I have iOS 8 and have yet to use any of those. They are features for those that want to make use of them just as iCloud and iTunes Radio are.

As I stated, you're completely wrong in assuming that Apple is "worried" about whether people make use of these features. They are merely users-centric services that Apple can do with or without. And you're the one that's completely delusional if you think Apple is worried about losing .001% of their revenue if these features are not used by their customers or supported by 3rd party developers.

• Reply 28 of 40
    delayeddelayed Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

You really think people are buying iPhones just to use Apple Pay, HealthKit, and HomeKit? No they aren't.

Maybe most aren't, but it is adding to sales. I've got a 5s that's plenty good for me, except it doesn't do Apple Pay and I don't like wearing watches, so I'll be getting the latest model when new ones come out in the fall. I doubt I'm alone.

• Reply 29 of 40
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Apple just wants everyone to share it for free.

So? Try viewing all of this from a user point of view. Would you rather have the option of being able to view all your data in a centralized location or jump from one app to another? If you do a little reading - which based off all your posts here, you are incapable of - you'd know that HealthKit is merely a centralized location for health related apps to store, retrieve and share information. The data stored here is encrypted by the user and all access to the data must be specifically granted by the end user. Your closed minded view is obviously born out of being jerked around by Google who gathers your data for themselves and does not like to share it.

• Reply 30 of 40
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Did you misread?

No -

De-identified data that does not identify you may be used to inform the health community about trends; for marketing and promotional use; or for sale to interested audiences. See “Sharing of De-identified Data That Does Not Identify You” to learn more.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Did you misread?

No -

De-identified data that does not identify you may be used to inform the health community about trends; for marketing and promotional use; or for sale to interested audiences. See “Sharing of De-identified Data That Does Not Identify You” to learn more.

Data gets sold all the time by plenty of people. If you get the flu and go to your doctor then you become part of the statistic of flu cases in your state. Why are people suddenly surprised by this?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Apple just wants everyone to share it for free.

So? Try viewing all of this from a user point of view. Would you rather have the option of being able to view all your data in a centralized location or jump from one app to another? <span style="line-height:1.4em;">If you do a little reading - which based off all your posts here, you are incapable of - you'd know that HealthKit is merely</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">a centralized location for health related apps to store, retrieve and share information. The data stored here is encrypted by the user and all access to the data must be specifically </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">granted by the end user. </span>
    <span style="line-height:22.399999618530273px;">Your closed minded view is obviously born out of being jerked around by Google who gathers your data for themselves and does not like to share it.</span>

So now all of a sudden having to jump from app to app is a problem? Devs having been asking for inter app communications for years now and Apple has never allowed it. Why is it so hard to understand when a company decides not to use it when Apple decides to allow it for a selfish benefit?
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    Sure they benefit. With Apple Pay you have to buy the hardware plus they get a piece of every purchase. With HomeKit there will be hardware purchases plus licensing fees. Everything Apple does is to make themselves money.

Gee, you're a bright one. Of course what Apple wants to do is make money... that's the point of running a business, isn't it?

You really think people are buying iPhones just to use Apple Pay, HealthKit, and HomeKit? No they aren't. It's a side benefit of entering the Apple ecosystem. I have iOS 8 and have yet to use any of those. They are features for those that want to make use of them just as iCloud and iTunes Radio are.

As I stated, you're completely wrong in assuming that Apple is "worried" about whether people make use of these features. They are merely users-centric services that Apple can do with or without. And you're the one that's completely delusional if you think Apple is worried about losing .001% of their revenue if these features are not used by their customers or supported by 3rd party developers.

Of course Apple is worried if those features are used. There needs to be a ROI, or they just threw money out the window.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Data gets sold all the time by plenty of people. If you get the flu and go to your doctor then you become part of the statistic of flu cases in your state. Why are people suddenly surprised by this?
    I never commented on being surprised by data being sold. I only commented on Gatorguy's comment that FitBit only wanted to sell hardware.

On the topic of personal data being shared: Every time you visit your car dealer, they report the specifics about the visit (down to your VIN) to CarFax. My car dealer service shop goes one step further - every time you visit, you tires are checked for tread depth and alignment as you enter the service area. A photo of your license plate is also taken. This information is reported to the DMV and to CarFax without your consent. I won't be buying another car from them.

This is the system my dealer uses: http://www.treadspec.com/solution/
  • Reply 35 of 40
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    I don't know anyone who actually uses any type of fitness related app on their phone... let alone do fitness on a daily/weekly basis :/

Well dare I say it the milk and cookies crowd don't exercise , I imagine the raw vegetables and fruit crowd does hmmmm Like they say like attracts like , obviously YOUR sample group doesn't exercise .
  • Reply 36 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I never commented on being surprised by data being sold. I only commented on Gatorguy's comment that FitBit only wanted to sell hardware./
    That's not exactly what I said but I understood the point you were attempting to make.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    sestewartsestewart Posts: 102member
    HealthKit's problems are not due to 3rd party support lacking, it's due to Apple creating something, then not supporting it themselves.

Healthkit on the iPhone should be able to do basic functional math to calculate data when data is put into the system. However, Healthkit does no math whatsoever. It won't even calculate your BMI when entering a new weight data point.

When Apple decides to actually support healthkit, without requiring a 600$ additional device to purchase, let me know.

Currently, the support level for it is as bad as support for all other apps or desktop applications that Apple creates, then abandons. Half a year in, and it's already abandonware.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    sestewart wrote: »
    HealthKit's problems are not due to 3rd party support lacking, it's due to Apple creating something, then not supporting it themselves.

Healthkit on the iPhone should be able to do basic functional math to calculate data when data is put into the system. However, Healthkit does no math whatsoever. It won't even calculate your BMI when entering a new weight data point.

When Apple decides to actually support healthkit, without requiring a 600$ additional device to purchase, let me know.

Currently, the support level for it is as bad as support for all other apps or desktop applications that Apple creates, then abandons. Half a year in, and it's already abandonware.

Abandon ware - wow that's a new one for me , sounds like you are very familiar with the term from your android experiences which to me at least seems like the norm because Google is famous for throwing software and hardware at the market to see if it will stick. Do you need me to list all the abandon ware products google has created? Looks like a case of the pot calling the kettle black!
  • Reply 39 of 40
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sestewart View Post

Hardly seems like abandonware since they added new data sources yesterday.

• Reply 40 of 40
    gkumikgkumik Posts: 1member
    Can you use HealthKit somehow with Android or Windows devices? Nonsens question, right? ;) This is how Apple is open for exchange of data with third party. They have open platform on their hardware.  Let assume that you have IPhone and your wife has Android, how HealthKit help with sharing data? Can you write yourself app on Android which will store data to HealthKit "Cloud",  Nop... everything is designed for device ;) The fault is on Apple for not creating open platform but only device based API. Check MS Health Vault for different approach.