Spymac and others were so wrong

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I don't take any rumour site seriously, but it's always nice to see how wrong they were.

So much for new laptops at MWNY.

<a href="http://www.spymac.com/comments.php?id=83_0_5_0_C"; target="_blank">http://www.spymac.com/comments.php?id=83_0_5_0_C</a>;

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    You believe SpyMac is accurate?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Much less any rumor site. The word "rumor" already implies it's lack of any solid facts.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    Thinksecret seemed to get pretty much everything right didn't they? (taking a quick glance at their main page)
  • Reply 4 of 12
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>You believe SpyMac is accurate?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No Leonis.

I just wanted to point it out at this time. Hopefully next time people won't lose their heads when SpyMac or any rumour site claim they have insider info.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>Thinksecret seemed to get pretty much everything right didn't they? (taking a quick glance at their main page)</strong><hr></blockquote>

As soon as I saw this topic I was going to post and say "Spymac sucks, but Thinksecret was spot-on this past week." Thinksecret guaranteed no new Powermacs (though that wasn't what I wanted to hear), guaranteed a big Jaguar preview (though that was sort of a given), guaranteed the switch from iTools to .Mac and the $100/year price, and guaranteed the 17" iMac. Pretty good record.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    A note to everyone: Spymac is rarely right.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Although I didn't think powerbooks were ever going to be released today everything I have heard has been that there are new ones, which are basically ready, whenever Apple decides to release them.

That said SpyMac still sucks
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Spy Mac sucks.

Mac OS Rumors sucks.

Think Secret is trying.

Here's my take on everything: I have been kind of overloaded with reading this board and how depressing it makes me feel at times. I'd sit here and read all this bitching and complaining, and although I'd agree with some of the gripes, it just left me sour.

So, when I left for work this morning, mindful that the keynote was starting and would still be ongoing by the time I commuted to work, I knew I was going to be tempted to find out what was happening when I got to work. But I made a pact, I would get the Keynote news from the horse's mouth, and not gravitate to these boards. When I got to work I didn't have time to check out the stream, but read the blow-by-blow on MacNN and MacCentral.

I felt -- and still feel -- very strongly that this was a great MacWorld. As did two of my other mac-fanatic buddies. Jaguar just simply impresses me. They should advertise this heavily on tv. Show off all the features. It's just very attractive to me. When I got home, I immediately placed my order for OS X 10.2. I also signed up for the .Mac as I like my email address (easy to remember when I tell people off the cuff) and I use the iDisk a lot so it's worth the $50 to me right now.

Later on in the day, I moseyed over to the boards. AppleInsider. MacNN. SpyMac. MacRumors. Lots of pissed off people saying how they thought MacWorld sucked. I don't want to curtail anyone from having the right to express their own opinion, but for God's sake, I think the whining and complaining is a little much. I would say that Jaguar and the iPod were the stars of the show because they showed how great the Mac is.

The state of Mac rumormongering is deplorable. The only really accurate report was found in a widely accepted mainstream Internet technology news source, CNet . Mind you it was published online just *DAYS* before the Keynote. They did mention larger capacity iPods and 17-inch iMacs. They were right.

All-in-all, I think this is a great place to check out the pulse of die-hard Mac users. I think it's quite easy to spot all the flaws and frustrations with Apple and the way they've handled certain aspects of their overall strategy, but I'm sure they'd be first to acknowledge the things they wish they could do, but can't for one reason or another.

For example, I, for one, am intrigued by the statement in the Apple financial conference call that alluded to the possibility of Apple changing the processors used in Macs. I'm sure there will be a lot of discussion regarding the future of Motorola and their PowerPC chip based on this one lone statement.

Regardless of details at this point, I'm sure Apple is working on something's we'll never know about until like this past MacWorld, when some major journalism outlet will get a leak slightly before the official announcement. Or we may never know about it all until the end. Who read about iCal or iSync in the rumormill prior to it's introduction at MacWorld today (July 17th)? Or iTunes 3 (except for Apple's faux pas leak)?

Well that's enough from me for now...just those who are wrapped to tightly on Apple's faults - lighten up! I think this is a great time to be a Apple fan!

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Dave Hagan ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 12
    think secret was righ ton the money...
  • Reply 10 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MaCommentary:

<strong>think secret was righ ton the money...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep. and they are quite often compared to the other sites.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Do you guys even read Spymac? They were just as accurate as ThinkSecret! The only thing they got wrong was the new laptops, but who knows, maybe they are just around the corner. Look on their front page for christs sake.

iPod to take center stage at Macworld

The iPod will be in the spotlight this Macworld New York, sources report.

Although we cannot independently verify the rumored introduction of a 20GB model, sources close to Apple report that this will be "the iPod's Macworld".

The long anticipated iPod remote will most likely not be released at the show, but is scheduled to be announced... Along with other accessories that have been in the pipeline for some time.

Obviously, the iPod will have a significant chunk of the keynote dedicated to it.

"The new remote ...accessories, iPod enthusiasts will be extremely happy."

One final tip that we were asked not to elaborate on: iPod case.

--

Pretty accurate to me!

And THinkSecret was not the one who broke the story about .mac, all they did was notice the name change because they are a bunch of piraters. Search AI for something like iTools Pro, or iTools Money etc. Spymac has been reporting it for awhile. Last week (before the TS article):

Get ready for iTools Pro (.mac)

As we reported back in February, Apple has definite plans to develop iTools into a solid revenue stream.

Recently, our source contacted us and confirmed the inevitable:

Starting in September, free iTools services will be greatly scaled down to a bare minimum. Your @mac.com address, however, will not be impacted by the change.

The migration to a pay-service will correspond with Apple's re-branding of iTools into ".mac," a new venture that will tightly integrate internet services directly into Jaguar, Apple's next major revision of OS X.

As originally reported, this migration has always been part of the "iTools roadmap," although the name change is a recent development.

"Eventually, users will be able to sign up for .mac when they buy a new Mac. Discounts may be offered at that time, but I'm not aware of any concrete information in that area," says our mole.

Discussion

Posted by: The Director on Jul 12, 02 | 7:21 pm |

--

So come on, we all know they don't get some things right, but give them credit where credit is due. But as I said, I don't even think you guys read the page.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Spymac nailed the eMac when it was entirely off of everyone else's radar.

I'd say Spymac has a few good sources for sure. Their predictions are far to accurate for them to be mere guesses.

Think Secret does seem to have good sources, better than any other rumor site. But TS is also the most boring rumor site to read, because they are so accurate. I'd rather read about Quad 3 GHz G5 Spheremacs on MOSR.