Buick, GMC vehicles to adopt Apple's CarPlay for 2016 model year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    They are also adding Android Auto support.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

Can you provide a source for which Honda models currently in production can currently be upgraded to support CarPlay? I didn't think so. Last year, Honda said that some 2015 models would be able to be upgraded to support CarPlay. That didn't happen. Now, they're saying it's coming for some 2016 models. Well, the 2016 models are already appearing (HR-V and Pilot) and there is still no CarPlay support.

I think you misread my question. I am not claiming there are sources stating that the current models can be upgraded to support CarPlay. I am trying to figure out why the couldn't be and Honda is saying it will only come out in new models. Honda is able to install software updates for their own infotainment system so I am trying to understand why one of those software updates couldn't also allow for CarPlay mirroring. If there is an update to Honda's current system, the driver is able to go to a Honda dealer and have them install the software update. Recent Hondas (Civic, HR-V, Fit) have HDMI ports where the driver is able to mirror the phone's screen for navigation through their native HondaLink system. I can't see how lack of CarPlay support in these models would be due to lack of hardware rather than Honda simply needing to be willing to offer software updates adding new capabilities.