Apple now labeling map data collection vehicles in the US, UK

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    cali wrote: »
    These vans are ugly though.

Apple is picky with every single detail, especially aesthetics.

Maybe they didn't want to label them at first for that reason but had to due to complaints and concern like someone else posted.

"Concerns". Nice try.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    mstone wrote: »
    My gripe with on board systems is they are out dated by the time you get them in looks, design and software. Plus you need to look at them. I just ask Siri on iPhone and let her talk to me although obviously that requires a reasonable signal. Roll on the day when 1 TB WiFi is everywhere by some wonderful new technology yet to be invented. :D

Unless you have an iPad mounted up high on the dash where a nav system would be, the temptation to look down at your tiny iPhone screen could be dangerous. All modern nav systems have turn by turn voice now. I was using an iPad in a vehicle that did not have a nav system, and you couldn't even hear it over the road noise. Sure we could have figured out how to connect it to the car speakers but we didn't have the correct cabling. We ended up missing a freeway interchange because of the bad audio quality.

With a built-in nav system you obviously need to enter the destination by hand which is less convenient than Siri but because it eliminates letters as you enter the data you know you won't accidentally be routed to someplace in the middle of nowhere like can happen with Siri.

I posted this about 3 weeks ago:
    Just, yesterday we used Apple Maps running on a Jeep Cherokee (via connected Apple Watch and iPhone) to navigate to a new (to us) location in a different town ... pretty common stuff, eh -- starting point, ending point, route selection, navigation directions -- no big challenge for the Watch/iPhone ... Tap-tap turn left at the next ....

This was a pretty good navigation experience:
    • The Watch would tap your wrist to get attention
    • Siri would tell you what to do
    • and the directions were displayed on the iP 6.

The Jeep (Dodge product) does not support CarPlay. As you say, the experience could have been better:
    • display the directions on the cars HUD
    • squelch the radio when Siri talks

We were doing mostly freeway driving and didn't experience any road noise -- a 2015 vehicle with the windows closed and the air on ... If you frequently are distracted by road noise, I think some BT Earphones might do the trick!

Our biggest problem was the inability to squelch the radio when Siri needed to talk.

Only a few times did the passenger need to look at the directions on the iP6 -- loud music on the radio, so the driver couldn't hear Siri.

But the tap-tap on the wrist by the Watch sealed the deal for me!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

We were doing mostly freeway driving and didn't experience any road noise -- a 2015 vehicle with the windows closed and the air on 

Depends on the tires. We were in a heavy duty 4WD truck with off road tires, no radio at the time. iPad 3 just doesn't have the volume. I had the same issue in an airplane even using the stock ear buds. Simply not enough volume to overcome the background noise. I now have AKG noise canceling headphones which does the trick, but kind of rude if you are traveling with someone who wants to talk.

• Reply 24 of 29
    iVan? Unlikely. Obviously they're branching out into iPizza Deliveries, in response to the satanic outfit better known as Dominoes, who are only in it for the profit. Oh, sign up now and you get free pizzas for the first three months... from Dominoes... who don't get paid either. They don't like it which proves they're whingers.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    then add in the fact AI found the building which Apple built the vans in and declared Apple is going to compete with Tesla. Lots of bad dot connecting going on.
    To be honest it wasn't the ideas that it might be to do with 'self driving technology vehicles' in of itself that had me ROFL, it was that so many folks actually had conversations about it being a Mini Van and had long arguments about the merits of such a vehicle ... just based on the fact Apple was using Mini vans for the mapping project. Talk about 2 + 2 = 5! LOL
  • Reply 26 of 29
    i actually just saw one of those yesterday afternoon and turned where i didn't need to so i could read what was on the window. had i just waited 12 hours the story would have solved the riddle of what the stickers said...
  • Reply 28 of 29
    cali wrote: »
    These vans are ugly though.

Apple is picky with every single detail, especially aesthetics.

Maybe they didn't want to label them at first for that reason but had to due to complaints and concern like someone else posted.

You can stick it to them when they design their own vans, but these are leased from FCA. Apple has nothing to do with their design.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I just saw one drive by me on Flatbush Av in Brooklyn.