Apple adds Maps Flyover support for 7 cities in Spain, Germany, UK and Puerto Rico

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    mac'em xmac'em x Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Then, just book'em, Dan'l.

"Dan'l"?

Quote:
    Once Apple provides Street View and Indoor View -- the race is on!

I really like Street View in Google Maps, and wonder whether Apple is working on something similar. Would love to see it.

Like many people, I've entertained the thought that Apple could/should crowdsource the effort, what with so many people running around with iPhones. Then again, the hurdles would have to be huge, in piecing together a Street View-like scene of a street based on a jumble of photos taken from different angles and heights, at different seasons and times of day. (And then there'd be a worldwide game of jokesters trying to photobomb Apple by submitting photos with messages or other funny stuff in the background...)

• Reply 22 of 25
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    mac'em x wrote: »
    Then, just book'em, Dan'l.

"Dan'l"?
    Predetermined result of the old TV series Hawaii 50 ... I just looked it up -- It's actually "Book'em Danno!"

All these years ... like the drum majorette in the Playboy cartoon ...

Once Apple provides Street View and Indoor View -- the race is on!

I really like Street View in Google Maps, and wonder whether Apple is working on something similar. Would love to see it.

Like many people, I've entertained the thought that Apple could/should crowdsource the effort, what with so many people running around with iPhones. Then again, the hurdles would have to be huge, in piecing together a Street View-like scene of a street based on a jumble of photos taken from different angles and heights, at different seasons and times of day. (And then there'd be a worldwide game of jokesters trying to photobomb Apple by submitting photos with messages or other funny stuff in the background...)

Yeah! Crowdies are an excellent potential source -- but the submissions need to be monitored/moderated!
  • Reply 23 of 25

I agree, tourism seems to be way behind the curve in using this sort of tech. I am using street view to work out every last detail of what we will do on the trip and the great thing is we will already be visually familiar with the areas when we get there. But these could be already made and prepared for 'off the shelf' self guided tours with built in tips and suggestions heck even commentaries like museums have of places such as Venice. The GPS would know where you are! Your idea sounds awesome! I'd love to see that when it is ready.

Have you seen the Queen's Farris Wheel (or whatever it's called)? On OS X El Capitan and iOS9 on an iP 5s, you can see the wires supporting the wheel ...

Not only that, the wheel rotates in real-time! Try that with Google Street View, Maps, Earth!

Periodically, Apple opens the kimono a little to tease us as to what's possible/coming ...

This is such a little thing -- but a big thing, really -- How'd they do that?

FWIW, I love OS X El Capitan and iOS9 -- in the words of Stevie Nix -- Book'em Dan'l ... er, ah (looked it up this time:

Been down one time
    Been down two times
    I'm never going back again

Ahh ... Stevie Nix ...
  • Reply 24 of 25

It's called The London Eye.  Who for goodness sake chose Hull, clearly someone told Apple this is a key tourist destination, and they believed it.  Ye Gods.

• Reply 25 of 25

Old joke, someone demolished the city centre and doubled the value of the city.