Apple releases OS X 10.10.4 with Mail, Photos improvements, 'discoveryd' fix

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by imac.usr View Post

I was pissed off about this too (it would have completely screwed over my vacation last year when I brought the PowerShot with me), but according to the El Capitan coming features page, it's apparently coming along with third-party editor support.

I guess that is some relief, even if that means I have to buy some Photo Editor App

• Reply 22 of 53
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

That is very handy. No more disabling kext signing and binary modification to force it on.

Hopefully discoveryd has been ditched from iOS too, every piece of network hardware will thank Apple.

I just checked my iPhone 5S and iPad Mini 2 after going to 8.4 via System Status, and unfortunately it still looks like discoveryd is being utilized in iOS.

• Reply 23 of 53
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Afterwards, you should boot into single user mode and fsck the root partition. Official Apple directions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176 ;

This will retrim the drive so you get the performance benefits without having to wait until everything is overwritten first.

Interesting.  Thank you.  I read the link and booting into the recovery partition and then running Disk Utility's Repair option appears to do the same function as fsck.  Would you agree?

• Reply 24 of 53
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC View Post

I think hillstone said to run "sudo trimforce enable" in your terminal and you should be all set?

Correct.  Run that command in Terminal.  Enter your password and then confirm yes to enable.  Let the Mac restart on its own.

• Reply 25 of 53
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Interesting.  Thank you.  I read the link and booting into the recovery partition and then running Disk Utility's Repair option appears to do the same function as fsck.  Would you agree?

Actually I think it does, it should say something like "trimming unused blocks". I guess I always used single user mode because it's faster to start.

• Reply 26 of 53

Hey, since updating I can't seem to scroll up or down with the mouse and various other touch controls belonging to the mouse. Did anybody encounter this?

• Reply 27 of 53
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    I can confirm that the "issue which could prevent a person from navigating away from a webpage in Safari because of repeated JavaScript alerts" is NOT resolved.

A solution I have used w/success is to map the dns & IP of the offending sites putting up the pop-ups to map to the loopback address in /etc/hosts -- works like a charm once you reboot Safari!
  • Reply 28 of 53
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member

Looks like this Drive Sensei app is an alternative to do the same thing:

https://www.cindori.org/software/disksensei/

Quote:

Afterwards, you should boot into single user mode and fsck the root partition. Official Apple directions at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203176 ;

This will retrim the drive so you get the performance benefits without having to wait until everything is overwritten first.

• Reply 29 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    konqerror wrote: »
    Also exciting is that it includes the trimforce command for third-party SSDs.

Don't get too excited about that yet. Trim isn't required for SSDs, though it helps.

The reason why Apple hasn't released it for all drives as a standard feature is because of data corruption for a number of popular SSDs. For example, all Samsung SSDs that begin in an "8" will have data corruption after some time when using trim. Some of their enterprise drives have the problem.There are some other drives with this problem.

This is why Apple warns that data corruption may occur when using trim, their own drives are tested to not have this problem, and so are safe with trim. I use OWC drives because their garbage collection works without problems without trim.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The reason why Apple hasn't released it for all drives as a standard feature is because of data corruption for a number of popular SSDs. For example, all Samsung SSDs that begin in an "8" will have data corruption after some time when using trim. Some of their enterprise drives have the problem.There are some other drives with this problem.

Pure FUD. Trim corruption hasn't been an issue for the last 5 years. Windows enables it without asking. You're saying every Samsung drive will corrupt itself under Windows? You're saying that Samsung can't write Trim code even though Apple builds in Samsung drives?

• Reply 31 of 53

If you are running a Standard account (which you can check in System Preferences/Users & Groups) you can still run this command in Terminal. Just type 'login' (without the quotes) and enter an Administrator username, hit enter then put in the administrator password.

If you are in an Administrator account you need to type sudo (Super-user do) then the command.

If you aren't running a Standard account, it's definitely worth doing. Simply create a new Administrator account, login to it to test it works OK, then logout. Log back in to your usual account and change it to a 'Standard' (System Preferences/Users & Groups).

What this does is create another security layer - you'll notice after you do this that you can't delete anything from places like /Applications without the administrator username & account.

• Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Don't get too excited about that yet. Trim isn't required for SSDs, though it helps.

This is why Apple warns that data corruption may occur when using trim, their own drives are tested to not have this problem, and so are safe with trim. I use OWC drives because their garbage collection works without problems without trim.

More on the issue (in the comments section of the Ars article):  http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/latest-os-x-update-allows-you-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds/?comments=1

Also:  https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

• Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

More on the issue (in the comments section of the Ars article):  http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06/latest-os-x-update-allows-you-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds/?comments=1

Also:  https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/

The issue is a Linux bug. Windows and according to reports, OS X do not implement the queued trim feature like Linux does, so saying trim corrupts data is incorrect.

It's typical open source. Somebody reads the spec, implements a new and shiny feature for the heck of implementing it, and of course, nobody has the motivation or money to validate it in real-world hardware or usage scenarios.

• Reply 34 of 53
    Quote:

The issue is a Linux bug. Windows and according to reports, OS X do not implement the queued trim feature like Linux does, so saying trim corrupts data is incorrect.

It's typical open source. Somebody reads the spec, implements a new and shiny feature for the heck of implementing it, and of course, nobody has the motivation or money to validate it in real-world hardware or usage scenarios.

From the second article:

Quote:

UPDATE June 16:

A lot of discussions started pointing out that the issue is related to the newly introduced queued TRIM. This is not correct. The TRIM on our drives is un-queued and the issue we have found is not related to the latest changes in the Linux Kernel to disable this features.

Personally, I'm going to leave it disabled and see how Samsung responds. I have a new 500GB 850 EVO that I'm planning to install internally on my late 2009 iMac (it's currently in an external FireWire/USB enclosure so it can't be enabled anyway). If you're willing to risk it, go to it. Just putting the info out there and others can decide for themselves.

• Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

Personally, I'm going to leave it disabled and see how Samsung responds. I have a new 500GB 850 EVO that I'm planning to install internally on my late 2009 iMac (it's currently in an external FireWire/USB enclosure so it can't be enabled anyway). If you're willing to risk it, go to it. Just putting the info out there and others can decide for themselves.

Again, show me Windows reports of TRIM corruption? The OS X reports of TRIM corruption? Of course they don't exist, because drive manufacturers design their products for Windows, and Apple buys fundamentally the same drives. Still a Linux-only issue. The hardware QA testing on non-commercial Linux is fundamentally somebody tried it on their home setup and it worked fine, as far as they could tell.

• Reply 36 of 53
    dr. xdr. x Posts: 282member

Hi,

I have the 840 EVO 1TB SSD from Samsung which I purchased from Amazon last year. I haven't experienced any issues so far and use TRIM Enabler.

Since I haven't experienced any corruption issue so far, doesn't this mean I'm in the clear?

Should I update from 10.10.3 to 10.10.4? I currently use TRIM Enabler on OS X 10.10.3.

Could someone elaborate?

• Reply 37 of 53
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Might just throw my hat in here: Using a late 2013 Mac Pro and I still experience wifi death from time to time, I had been running the betas and these did seem to address the problem to a great extent. (Handoff/continuity/airdrop is also vastly more reliable.)
  • Reply 38 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    konqerror wrote: »
    You're saying that Samsung can't write Trim code even though Apple builds in Samsung drives?

I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. They surely are incapable of writing code for their own USB ports:

Samsung silently disabling Windows Update on some computers
    Microsoft MVP Patrick Barker, who spends a large portion of his life analysing, debugging, and helping other people troubleshoot Windows, has discovered that Samsung is actively disabling Windows Update on some of its PCs.

source:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/06/samsung-silently-disabling-windows-update-on-some-computers/
  • Reply 39 of 53
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Warning: after upgrade your CPU might be slammed with backupd ballooning up to over 35GB and making the computer run very sluggishly and causing other programs to hang and crash. Just another example of piss poor programming coming from Cupertino these days. This is still happening 6 hours after upgrading even thought the first 4 hours after upgrade the machine sat mostly idle.
    (On machine with 2.6GHz Quad-i7/16GB RAM/2TB HD)
  • Reply 40 of 53
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    noivad wrote: »
    Warning: after upgrade your CPU might be slammed with backupd ballooning up to over 35GB and making the computer run very sluggishly and causing other programs to hang and crash. Just another example of piss poor programming coming from Cupertino these days. This is still happening 6 hours after upgrading even thought the first 4 hours after upgrade the machine sat mostly idle.
    (On machine with 2.6GHz Quad-i7/16GB RAM/2TB HD)

Zero problems at my end. Hardly any problems reported by others. Maybe you should take better care of your Mac?