Open Letter from a potential re-Switcher ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
On the subject of .Mac services. I sent this via the .Mac feedback just a few minutes ago.

Dear Sirs:

I was a Mac user for many years - SE, IIci, SE/30, 7500 - and switched to a Wintel machine because of my job. I have recently been considering switching back to the Mac. I have read the .Mac info and have no problem, conceptually, paying the $100/year fee for .Mac services. HOWEVER, there are some caveats:

1. If I am going to PAY, then I expect a service level agreement similar to that of any webhosting company I deal with.

2. That means you don't touch my email. If I want to spam-filter it I'll handle that myself thanks. Isn't that why the Mail app includes the new "junkmail" feature?

3. There should be a "network status" webpage to inform the PAID users of network outages, planned maintenance, etc.

4. That means 7x24x365 phone and email support, as well as guaranteed uptime with compensation for unreasonable downtime. I should be able to get a snapshot of my "webstats" - hits, bandwidth used, disk and email space used, etc.

If you wish to take on the role of a paid service provider, I'm all for it. But you'd better act like one as well, otherwise I'll keep my money.

Regards,

- Windows users wanting to come back to the Apple Family.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Oh, and I should clarify that last point. The "I'll keep my money" refers to providing and using the .Mac service. I'm still gonna buy a new Mac soon :-)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    racolvin,

I agree. Paying customers should get top notch service and I think Apple will be looking to provide this. My next Mac purchase will probably have me signing up as well.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    I don't have any problem with anything you said, but I'm confused about one thing -- does Apple do some kind of server-side spam-blocking with .MAC services? You mention their spam-blocking services as being distinct from the "junk mail" features of mail.app but I don't remember that being mentioned. Not saying you're wrong, just asking for more info...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    There have been numerous posts about how Apple was applying a spam-filter to incoming mail and not telling anyone about it. One that I can think of right off hand is MacSlash (www.macslash.com). Apple treated the email from their domain registrar as spam and deleted it, without ever telling them they were doing that. He ended up losing his domain name for failure to renew.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    IF Apple is filtering our mail they are doing a really crappy job. If you like I would present evidence #1: My mail box. :eek:

One thing they have to change is to not automaticly remove things from your iDisk that shows future Apple products or mock ups anymore. Remember the "Design your own iMac" thread after FlowerPower was released? They removed all mockups without giving a notice or anything. As paying customers I hope we have some additional rights against Apple when it comes to things like that.