As Apple's offshore cash pile reaches $190B, US Congress moves closer to multinational tax reform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 114
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iObserve View Post

You really are delusional and have no idea how education, society, and socialization work.

LOL...Sog35 wants every future student acting like those in I, Robot. Yup. Online schooling is fucking ridiculous and I'm speaking as a resident of Silicon Valley where Technologies top any other place on earth. I took many online classes and I'm telling you this: without live interaction with other real humans in the classroom, you're nothing more than a fucking robot.

• Reply 22 of 114
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This will be a BONANZA if this law passes.

First Apple and shareholders will get access to the $200 Billion.  If that happens I expect a massive one time special dividend, increase in regular dividend, and massive increase in buyback program.

Second Apple has over $25 billion of accrued taxes on the books.  If this law passes that liability disappears.  Unlike other companies like Google, Apple expenses taxes they have not and may never have to pay.  Thus that $25 billion will be recorded as INCOME when the tax law changes.  This will also change Apple tax accrual going forward.  Right now their tax rate is about 26%.  If this law passes it could dip to 20%.

That would be nice, and perhaps its different now, but the last time this was being discussed about a year ago the Democrats wanted to exclude use of the repatriate money for dividends and buybacks. They wanted to direct it toward investment and hiring.

• Reply 23 of 114
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Now, if Rand Paul wins the presidency.....

No offense, honestly, but.....:lol:
  • Reply 24 of 114
    Quote:

in the old days there were no schools.  You would learn a trade or learn the arts from your parents or a tutor.  

Having kids socialize with other kids is easy.  Go to the FRIKEN mall or play some softball in your neighborhood park.  And you would have more time to do that instead of getting stuck in traffic during rush hour.  There is no proof that children learn better when in the physical presence of other children.  IN fact its the exact opposite!  They are more distracted and have more anxiety, espeically from other genders!  Seperating social activities from education is a no brainer.

The social aspects of school are overrated.  

People also said it was delusional to have online University classes.  Online stores.  Online social networks.

Bottom line is the current school system is ridiculously expensive for no reason at all.  With online schools people would be saving THOUSANDS on their tax bill. Almost everyone already has internet and a computer/tablet.  If they don't the governement can provide it.  Thats a thousand times cheaper than buying and maintaining huge buildings.

Let's assume all the children have a stable and fairly fast internet connection and a sufficiently fast computer. Are you thinking elementary school age children (ok, any age children from kindergarten to the end of high school) will just sit in front of their computer at home with no supervision and attend class, do their school work, etc while their parents are at work? LOL  Maybe if our children are grown in pods like in the Matrix, but I don't see it under our current situation where in most households, both parents need to work already (and wouldn't be able to afford to pay yet another person to supervise their child or children while remotely attending school from their home).

I work at home now, but I can't watch my child at the same time, I need to get work done, attend meetings, etc.

On topic, it would be nice to see the US not tax its citizens living abroad (like just about every other developed country on the planet). Since corporations are people now, I guess they'd come along for the ride if that went through.

• Reply 25 of 114
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Is this story in reference to the offshore tax holiday initiated by Rand Paul, later partnered on with Barbara Boxer?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-29/corporate-tax-holiday-to-fund-highways-gets-boost-in-u-s-senate

http://www.wsj.com/articles/idea-for-corporate-tax-holiday-gains-some-bipartisan-traction-in-senate-1422568800

Because I'm not seeing a reference to the origin of the proposal. 

• Reply 26 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

No offense, honestly, but.....image

Yeah, if polls are to be believed, isn't he near the bottom now?

• Reply 27 of 114
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So now Apple paid 20% Japanese tax, 35% US Tax, and 5% State tax.  That is 60% taxes!!  Now the investor sells his shares and then you add another 15-25% tax on that also!  Its no wonder so many companies are moving OUT of the USA.  If the USA had more reasonable corporate tax maybe we could keep more jobs in the USA.  Taxing US corps MORE is not the answer to help the USA middle class.  You know as well I do that tax will just passed on to the consumer.

Wrong as usual

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887324787004578495250424727708
  • Reply 28 of 114
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

A very long overdue tax reform.

I'm amazed how long it's taken. 

Obviously most in Gov are too dumb to understand how the current tax system has worked against USA prosperity.

• Reply 29 of 114
    Quote:

Online schools can and have been successful

http://thejournal.com/articles/2012/01/27/the-4-keys-to-a-successful-online-school.aspx

Plus if its online you can monitor EXACTLY what the teacher is saying/teaching.  No more questions about abuse, bullying, or discrimination.  No more students bullying other students.  

The social aspect of growing up is better to be done with PARENTAL supervison anyway.  Commuting a child to school can take an extra 2 hours a day for many parents.  If they don't have to communte they will have time to setup social events with other kids (of their choosing, instead of being forced to socialize with drug babies and bullies) 

The brick and mortar schools are a relic of the past. 

Your model of school will produce students who look 

like this:

instead of this:

• Reply 30 of 114
    Quote:

You are not a millenial.  You grew up in brick and mortar schools.  Of course its going to be weird for you.

Like I said the social aspect can be done SEPERATE from the education.  There is ZERO proof that being next to other students physically helps children learn better.  In fact its the EXACT opposite.  All you get is bully and distractions.

I fucking earned my Master degree online and I still considered it ridiculous vs my years in undergrad in University of California system. So, stop the crap. online education is only good to fill the education gaps, not full accreditation in term of quality. 

• Reply 31 of 114
    Quote:

Computer nerds make 300% more than the average actor.

Nice try though.

Some of the brightest minds in history did not go to large schools as children 5-14 years old.

Schools in their current form have only been around for about 200 years.  Before that people learned mostly from a single teacher, not with other students around.  To say you need a social aspect with learing Math/Science/ect is ridiculous

We have so many computer nerds here in Silicon Valley, and many of them are out of jobs or making less than $70k/yrs. Please.

• Reply 32 of 114
    Quote:

Computer nerds make 300% more than the average actor.

Nice try though.

Some of the brightest minds in history did not go to large schools as children 5-14 years old.

Schools in their current form have only been around for about 200 years.  Before that people learned mostly from a single teacher, not with other students around.  To say you need a social aspect with learing Math/Science/ect is ridiculous

You know why topical breadth is required in university? Because it makes a person rounded in term of knowledge, socialization and human interaction. Sitting in front of a computer all day long doesn't make a person a human, but a robot.

• Reply 33 of 114
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    It should be 0 as many other developed countries have but from what I read around 6% is what current negotiations are at

It shouldn't be 0%. 6-10 is a good number.
  • Reply 34 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Live on another planet and experiment with such a stupid idea. Half of education is the social growth of children in large schools.

Good response. He has lost his mind.
  • Reply 35 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

A very long overdue tax reform.

I'm amazed how long it's taken. 

Obviously most in Gov are too dumb to understand how the current tax system has worked against USA prosperity.

Keep in mind this "reform" has a very narrow focus and only applies to overseas profits earned by American companies. There is no improvement whatsoever for the average taxpayer. Speaking of which... http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/07/21/rand-paul-takes-a-match-to-the-tax-code-and-a-wood-chipper-and-a-chainsaw/

• Reply 36 of 114
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Your model of school will produce students who look 

like this:

instead of this:

No public school has ever produced a student that looks like Brad Pitt on purpose.

• Reply 37 of 114
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Where the heck are you getting that number? Apple's TOTAL debt is 4.5 commercial paper + 2.5 current portion of LTD + ~47 LTD = $54B. It's cash is ~$204B. Net debt is a negative number, –$150B

Total assets - total liabilities = 125B.   Also, you misunderstood me - I didn't say "net debt", I said "net of debt", i.e. assets minus liabilities.

Apple's total debt is 147B - or do you think that Accounts payable is not a debt?

• Reply 38 of 114
    One things needs to be clarified. A number such as 6 - 6.5% is not trivial: it merely splits the difference between the corporation and the government.

Companies like Apple have already paid about 15% - 20% abroad. The U.S. statutory rate is 35%, but the effective rate is often less because of various deductions, let's say 30%. So the effective additional amount owed to the U.S. government is no more than 10 - 15%.

Given that, 6% seems about right.
  • Reply 39 of 114
    e1618978 wrote: »

Total assets - total liabilities = 125B.   Also, you misunderstood me - I didn't say "net debt", I said "net of debt", i.e. assets minus liabilities.

Apple's total debt is 147B - or do you think that Accounts payable is not a debt?

No offense, but you should learn to read a Balance Sheet before you post on it in a public forum.

Total assets minus total liabilities is book equity, or net worth.

(And no, Accounts Payable is not debt; in any event, you should, look at it net of Acoounts Receivable plus Inventory. I'll stop there).
  • Reply 40 of 114
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It shouldn't be 0%. 6-10 is a good number.

If it isn't low enough nobody will take the deal.  Apple would be a lot better off issuing new debt instead of bringing money back at 10%.