Apple removes Nest Learning Thermostat from online, retail stores in potential HomeKit push

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    ecatsecats Posts: 273member

I don't think this is particularly directed at Google/Nest. As homekit devices become available, I can't imagine them stocking any non-homekit product when there is a homekit equivalent.

Why would they want to sell devices that don't work with their platform? Eventually consumers will expect that all home automation devices sold by apple work with homekit. That's one of the main reasons I shop from the apple store, I don't want to play trial-and-error with devices that claim to support iOS/OSX but only provide a limited feature set or don't take advantage of iOS/OSX's features. Especially now that homekit devices will be effortlessly controlled by the apple watch.

• Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You are mistaken. Synaptics invented the click-wheel for the iPod, the mini, to be exact.  Apple did not conceive the idea.

Schiller conceived of the scroll wheel being used for navigation, to be exact. The CW wasn't even on the radar in 2001.

• Reply 23 of 43
    lmaclmac Posts: 208member

This is the kind of anti-competitive behavior that I used to hate when Microsoft did it. Why is it ok for Apple to do it?

If a product is for sale in the store, one would presume that it is because Apple thought it was a good product that consumers would be interested in. The only reason to take it out of the store is if that changes. If it does, they should say so. For example, take Beats headphones out of the store because they are overpriced and not durable.

Taking a product out of the store because they compete with Apple implies that the Apple product isn't as good, and can't handle a level playing field. Is FitBit such a threat to AppleWatch?

• Reply 24 of 43
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Quote:

You are mistaken. Synaptics invented the click-wheel for the iPod, the mini, to be exact.  Apple did not conceive the idea.

Apple came up with the very specific concept, and Synaptics built it to spec, and Apple has patents for it.

WhiteFalcon is correct.

• Reply 25 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    Tony Fadell, very recently interviewed by the BBC, where he discusses 'smart home" initiatives, the Apple Watch, and the header item Google Glass which is only briefly touched on.

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 26 of 43
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member

Sucks to be on Apple's shit list.

• Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckalec View Post

Hope the "Godfather" feels the financial pain. Godfather my arse (some CNBC producer looking for something catchy in his lower third) , inspired by Braun and it was Schiller who conceived the click wheel if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Schiller conceived of the scroll wheel being used for navigation, to be exact. The CW wasn't even on the radar in 2001.

I thought it was originally conceived by Almon Brown Strowger in 1892.

• Reply 28 of 43
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rob53 wrote: »
    Mine works fine but I don't use their iOS app anymore. I assume lots of original iPhone owners of Nest products are doing the same thing.

why? mine works fine.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    lmac wrote: »
    This is the kind of anti-competitive behavior that I used to hate when Microsoft did it. Why is it ok for Apple to do it?

If a product is for sale in the store, one would presume that it is because Apple thought it was a good product that consumers would be interested in. The only reason to take it out of the store is if that changes. If it does, they should say so. For example, take Beats headphones out of the store because they are overpriced and not durable.

Taking a product out of the store because they compete with Apple implies that the Apple product isn't as good, and can't handle a level playing field. Is FitBit such a threat to AppleWatch?

should McDonald's sell Big Macs?
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

should McDonald's sell Big Macs?

No.  I wouldn't feed that to my dog.

• Reply 31 of 43
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    lmac wrote: »

None of that makes any sense.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    kenbokenbo Posts: 4member
    I've replaced 7 Nest Protects in my house within the past year because of false alarms. One by one they detected smoke when there wasn't any, and after multiple falsies at 2am I had to pull out my ladder, disconnect all of them, and throw them into the trunk of my car until the morning. Although Nest replaced them for me under warranty it leaves me awake at night wondering when the next false alarm will traumatize my kids. To make things worse I can't turn off these gen 1 smoke detectors with the app (like the gen 2 units are able to do now), nor with their "wave" feature that was disabled and never resolved.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lmac View Post

Since when is it considered "anti-competitive" to decide what you want to sell in your own store? 

• Reply 34 of 43
    fallenjt wrote: »
    According to Mashable, the Homekit that Apple promote is Ecobee 3. Homekit is not really attractive yet at this price point. I mean Ecobee 3 at $250 to monitor a room temperature is really ridiculous. My body can feel the comfortable ambient in the room without the need of a thermostat. 
    At least now Ecobee 3 is the only one include a remote sensor with the smart thermostat for this price, not Nest or whatever.
    These products should drop to $100 to sell.

Supposedly, the ROI is on HVAC Fuel savings -- efficiently providing comfort at reduced costs. We live in the SF East Bay area.

We installed a new HVAC a little over a month ago -- just as the seasonal temperature rises to the 86-90 range.

Our last PG&E bill rose from $330 to $483 with the new HVAC and a "loaner" Honeywell thermostat.

The contractor installed the Ecobee3 on Wednesday with wireless remote temperature/motion sensors in the upstairs bedrooms ...

The ecobee has a feature called "Follow Me" where the thermostat setting is automatically averaged with the temperature of occupied rooms.

We got a chance to test this feature yesterday as afternoon naps were in order -- the downstairs ecobee was set to 80 and the occupied bedrooms were 82 and 84 (as the sun moved from the front to back of the house. The system adjusted and kept running until the occupied bedrooms got within range (mostly running the AC at low power).

Certainly, this is anecdotal -- but I suspect we'll be able to keep the PG&E bills under $500 during the peak cooling season -- July-August.

In the winter months, we run the fireplace (spare the air permitting) and use about 3/4 cord of wood costing ~$400/year. We use the HVAC fan and seldom run the furnace.

It appears that the ecobee "follow me" feature will support our needs comfortably and economically. I suspect that the ecobee will pay for itself in less than a year.

• Reply 35 of 43
    solipsismy wrote: »
    hillstones wrote: »
    Oh, you think Apple doesn't have privacy issues?  Guess again.  Anything in the cloud has privacy issues...

So you're equating the potential for info being stolen with Google's Morlockian business model of selling our Eloian habits to their actual customers?

Ha! Always wanted to use that in a sentence ...

- Eloi-free Applebaum
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Good, took long enough. Google owned spyware products do not below in Apple Stores. 

I agree with this...I don't want any Google products in my home.

• Reply 37 of 43
    mistergsfmistergsf Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Question is, will Nest become HomeKit compatible?!

Exactly!  Also, security is what matters most to me.  If HomeKit is going to be what makes everything work together to automate and secure the home of the future, then I'm glad Apple is taking their time to make sure everything is right.  Better that HomeKit is delayed than being rushed to market with security holes.  I have the 1st generation Nest thermostat and it's worked great all these years.  But, if it's not HomeKit compatible, I'm going to switch to something else.

• Reply 38 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Supposedly, the ROI is on HVAC Fuel savings -- efficiently providing comfort at reduced costs. We live in the SF East Bay area.

We installed a new HVAC a little over a month ago -- just as the seasonal temperature rises to the 86-90 range.

Our last PG&E bill rose from $330 to $483 with the new HVAC and a "loaner" Honeywell thermostat.

The contractor installed the Ecobee3 on Wednesday with wireless remote temperature/motion sensors in the upstairs bedrooms ...

The ecobee has a feature called "Follow Me" where the thermostat setting is automatically averaged with the temperature of occupied rooms.

We got a chance to test this feature yesterday as afternoon naps were in order -- the downstairs ecobee was set to 80 and the occupied bedrooms were 82 and 84 (as the sun moved from the front to back of the house. The system adjusted and kept running until the occupied bedrooms got within range (mostly running the AC at low power).

Certainly, this is anecdotal -- but I suspect we'll be able to keep the PG&E bills under $500 during the peak cooling season -- July-August.

In the winter months, we run the fireplace (spare the air permitting) and use about 3/4 cord of wood costing ~$400/year. We use the HVAC fan and seldom run the furnace.

It appears that the ecobee "follow me" feature will support our needs comfortably and economically. I suspect that the ecobee will pay for itself in less than a year.

I understand how Ecobee3 works I really like it. I just don't like the price. To me, if you really need to control the HVAC sufficiently, switch valve in HVAC system would be great...it directs cool air directly to the room occupied and ignore the rest. Who can make that type of valves? Maybe I should patent it...lol.

• Reply 39 of 43
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I agree with this...I don't want any Google products in my home.

The Nest may track your activity to send to Google marketing group?

• Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

The Nest may track your activity to send to Google marketing group?

Probably not...but Google is not a company I can trust.

Best.