Motorola unveils larger Moto X Style and Moto X Play phones, updates Moto G

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,584member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's not exactly the same but it does allow one to have all their media, and some apps on it.
    The MotoX Style 64GB "pure" version will reportedly sell for $499 unlocked. That's a heckuva price.
  • Reply 22 of 76
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    This article is really shameful AppleInsider.

I listen to the podcast and you guys seem like pretty decent people.

But this is shameful.

This is a like a BMW fansite posting an article about a new Kia car coming out.  Seriously.  WTF is going on here.

Know thine enemy.
  • Reply 23 of 76
    Still 32-bit only, I assume. Also, shouldn't the phones be called Lenovo now? They are a far cry from the once might Motorola in Schaumburg, IL...
  • Reply 24 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Am I the only one that doesn't think these devices are gorgeous? I'm not sure what all the tech sites are seeing. They look kind of ugly to me.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    It's not exactly the same but it does allow one to have all their media, and some apps on it.

still not the same thing.

you can buy 'expandable' storage on the iPhone also using the lightning connector

But that takes away from the svelte design of the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    Still 32-bit only, I assume.
    All three phones are 64 bit AFAIK, including the lowly G.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Still 32-bit only, I assume. Also, shouldn't the phones be called Lenovo now? They are a far cry from the once might Motorola in Schaumburg, IL...

What would 64-bit do for the average user with this phone? Would it make apps run faster or the OS smoother (assuming it's not)? Would it make the camera better?
  • Reply 28 of 76
    This article is really shameful AppleInsider.

I listen to the podcast and you guys seem like pretty decent people.

But this is shameful.

This is a like a BMW fansite posting an article about a new Kia car coming out.  Seriously.  WTF is going on here.

Ladies and gentlemen, Apple Insider's very own Donald Trump.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Know thine enemy.

If anything I'm surprised they didn't run an article on the OnePlus 2.  $329 starting price with flagship specifications (Snapdragon 810, 13 MP camera with OIS, fingerprint scanner, USB type C, LPDDR4, metal build, etc.).  

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

All 3 of the SoC's inside of these phones, Snapdragon 410, 615 and 808 use ARMv8 cores. So they're all 64-bit (not that it really matters).

• Reply 30 of 76
    rogifan wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't think these devices are gorgeous? I'm not sure what all the tech sites are seeing. They look kind of ugly to me.
    No doubt some won't like the styling. Choice is good tho.

• Reply 31 of 76
    Thats really ugly

It's the rounded corners isn't it. . . :D
  • Reply 32 of 76

Why is everyone crying about 16 GB iPhone likes its the end of the world but not a sound when the Moto comes with 16 GB.
    Since no one uses them as smartphones who cares if a couple of the versions start at 16GB?
  • Reply 33 of 76
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    "a device that will compete head-on with Apple iPhones expected to launch this fall."

Not enough lols for this statement.
  • Reply 34 of 76
    I don't think any non Apple phone should be highlighted on APPLEinsider.

But if they do at least make sure its a worthy competitor or at least in the same price range.

What next?  Will they be doing features on Xiaomi phones?  I mean WTF.
    Other than running Android, admittedly a biggie for those here, why do you think the Moto X Style or Pure doesn't compete with the iPhone 6 or 6+? Where is it lacking?
  • Reply 35 of 76
    But that takes away from the svelte design of the iPhone.

does not take away from my point.

Why is everyone crying about 16 GB iPhone likes its the end of the world but not a sound when the Moto comes with 16 GB.

Asked and answered. NEXT!!!
  • Reply 36 of 76
    No Touch ID
    No Apple Pay
    No Apple Music direct integration
    No AppStore 
    Plastic construction
    Zero trade in value after 2 years
    No prestige
    No real life customer support
    No AppleWatch Support
    No Handoff with Mac or iPad

Need I say more?
    Of course it won't offer Apple specific services (App Store? Really?) or Apple accessories. Now you're just being silly. It's not plastic construction by the way. The framework is aluminum (quite strong too) while the "crust" has several finish options. Otherwise other features you mentioned like Handoff, Apple Pay or Apple Music have an equivalent on the Moto X.

So where does it really fall short? Lack of a fingerprint reader is the only one that comes to mind right off. That's an odd omission IMO since other premium Android handsets are offering them but probably not a deal-breaker in reality.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    gatorguy wrote: »
    No doubt some won't like the styling. Choice is good tho.

The entire back protrudes so the camera doesn't have to :lol:
  • Reply 38 of 76
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Of course it won't offer Apple specific services or Apple accessories. Now you're just being silly.

Not silly. That is the whole point of the "if it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone" campaign. Ecosystem matters.
  • Reply 39 of 76
    robertcrobertc Posts: 118member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Other than running Android, admittedly a biggie for those here, why do you think the Moto X Style or Pure doesn't compete with the iPhone 6 or 6+? Where is it lacking?

Some aspects are high end (camera, battery, build quality), but other areas, such as the SoC are lacking. Both of them use mid range Qualcomm chips from late 2014 / early 2015. Neither of them have security features such as a fingerprint scanner.  A top of the line SoC and a fingerprint scanner are by no means required to make the devices good, it just doesn't match up to the iPhone 6/6+.

• Reply 40 of 76
    robertc wrote: »
    Some aspects are high end (camera, battery, build quality), but other areas, such as the SoC are lacking. Both of them use mid range Qualcomm chips from late 2014 / early 2015. Neither of them have security features such as a fingerprint scanner.  A top of the line SoC and a fingerprint scanner are by no means required to make the devices good, it just doesn't match up to the iPhone 6/6+.
    Now that's a reasonable response. Thanks.

As for the processor being early 2015 the addition of two complementary chips comprising the Motorola Mobile Computing System (1.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 hexa-core CPU (MSM8992) combined with a Natural Language Processor and Contextual Computing Processor) will probably result in first-class performance, perhaps besting other Android handsets recently introduced. Stock Android will help of course.