Flabbergastingly insecure: Google's Android is the new Flash

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    appletweak wrote: »
    "Somewhat ironically, Google even brands Android with a robot logo usually portrayed in the sick color of a sinus infection discharge. "

Really? Going a little over the top on a Friday, aren't we DED?

Good thing he wrote "petulant boil" when he probably meant "pustulant boil". About ten people would
    have fainted.
  • Reply 62 of 127
    plovell wrote: »
    To give credit where credit is due, Microsoft has been supplying security patches for older versions of Windows  - stretching much further back than Apple does for OS X versions. People with older hardware (maybe can't afford a new Mac) can't get security patches and are left exposed. I can agree with Apple not adding features to old versions, but it should do more with regard to security updates.

Are you one of these theoretical "people with older hardware"? Or just another "will someone please think of the children people with older hardware???" rhetorical argument? (That is a serious question: are you really worried about the security in older Mac OS X versions because you can't upgrade, or are you just posting a hypothetical scenario for an easy win?)
  • Reply 63 of 127
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Are you one of these theoretical "people with older hardware"? Or just another "will someone please think of the children people with older hardware???" rhetorical argument? (That is a serious question: are you really worried about the security in older Mac OS X versions because you can't upgrade, or are you just posting a hypothetical scenario for an easy win?)

"Theoretical" people like the 10% of users still on snow leopard as of late last year? (http://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/os-x-market-share-statistics-1-in-5-macs-still-unsupported/)

• Reply 64 of 127
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

To give credit where credit is due, Microsoft has been supplying security patches for older versions of Windows  - stretching much further back than Apple does for OS X versions. People with older hardware (maybe can't afford a new Mac) can't get security patches and are left exposed. I can agree with Apple not adding features to old versions, but it should do more with regard to security updates.

Personally, no. (*)  But I support a number of family-and-friends Macs and some of those are indeed in this category. The most recent example is a cousin with a 15" MacBook Pro who asked me to apply the latest upgrades. We found that, unfortunately, 10.7 Lion was as far as that hardware could go. And my brother-in-law still stays with his PowerMac G5 running 10.5 despite all my efforts to get him moved to a Mac Mini. The cousin, in particular, asked for the upgrade because she was concerned about security.

The others are all Yosemite-capable, I think

(*)ignoring the 1984 Macintosh and the Mac IIci in the basement  :)

• Reply 65 of 127

I've always thought it looked like a booger with disco ball head, arms and legs.  It's a horrible logo to represent a company, they tried to make it too cute and used really bizarre shade of green in my opinion, seriously that's a mental hospital shade of green.  You want vibrant colors that reflect power and energy, not mental breakdown green. 

*edit, forgot a T, yes a T. 

• Reply 66 of 127
    john673john673 Posts: 40member

"Several years ago, Steve Jobs called out Adobe Flash as a trainwreck of security and performance problems, garnering him contempt from industry players deeply invested in the software platform."

The problem with Steve was a monetary on one hand and hardware on the other: 

1. Flash would take revenue from stupid apps on the app store. 

2. Flash would not allow apple 120% percent full control. They are also trying to get rid of Java..

3. the early iPad and iPhone had a sucking hardware incapable of running flash smoothly. That's not the case with newer hardware.

4. I have never had performance issues with Flash, not even on crapy computer hardware 6-8 years ago. With today's hardware (well except the new Macbook) there should not even be a conversation on performance issues because of Flash:)))

5. Security? that's another excuse to scare the innocent away from Flash!

P.S 

I do own aapl, and use a rMBP with iPhone 6+ and iPad air 2 (iPad mouth more of curiosity, though barely use it )  

• Reply 67 of 127
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Proprietary software adds a little bit of security but we all know that 'security by obscurity' is not a sound policy. Take an open source project like Linux. They have thousands of professional programmers from around the world maintaining and contributing to the code base for free. Open source has to be hardened and tested because every line of code is public. The difference is, that the programmers for Linux are passionate and generous. I don't think Android has that much good will. The only people examining it line by line are companies that want to fork it or hackers with malicious intent.

The advantage of Linux is that its actually.... Open... Unlike Android which lets face it, really isn't. Not only that, the commercial imperatives that let the current situation fester, were predictable at the onset. So, Google is 100% responsible for whatever happens next. Even the latest version of Android, there is still parts of the platform that cannot be upgraded without going through the carrier.

I can't believe people continue to gush about "secure" open source, given some of the recent high profile vulnerabilities.

For all the eyes that didn't bother to look at the code in OpenSSL, the Heartbleed vulnerability was widely and blindly implemented in many applications.

And Apple's goto fail bug in their SSL/TLS code base shows it's not difficult for a motivated, well placed programmer to thwart a well documented/published codebase, even if it's not "open source".

• Reply 68 of 127
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I do agree in part with your comments but I stand behind my argument that Linux has lots of professionals looking over the code for the benefit of the platform. In comparison you don't hear the same sort of devotion regarding Android.

The main advantage of Linux (that is, desktop/server Linux)  is that there are no middlemen like OEMs or carriers to get in the way. When Red Hat develops security patches, it ships them directly to RHEL installations.

• Reply 69 of 127
    simple fact checking using https://nvd.nist.gov/
    iOS comes with 415 vulnerabilities Android with 334 the rest is just talk ...
  • Reply 70 of 127
    sog35 wrote: »
    Why would anyone choose to buy an Android phone over an iPhone?

You would only get an Android if:

1. You can't afford an iPhone (this makes the bulk of Android's customers)
    2. You are a tweaker and enjoy messing with writing code and custom ROM's
    3. You need stylus support (Note4)
    4. You just want something different

You missed a few categories of Android users:
    5. You can't make the right decision, ever, when given a choice.
    6. You wear a sign on your back that reads, "Kick me,"
    7. You are a born loser. You buy a smart phone the day before the new models come out. You bought the last Saturn to come off the production line. You left the store with hamburger just as the meat department announced over the PA that they are pulling all hamburger due to a terrible contaminated batch. The guys you stopped to help along the highway were escaped murderers...

As for your idea about the "Peach" phone. Nah, Apple would never go there and risk being seen as a commodity manufacturer. There is also a segment of the population that are just too expensive to try to please as customers. It's smart to leave them to the competitors to fuss with... (think photos of "Walmart Shoppers" to get an idea of who I'm talking about)
  • Reply 71 of 127
    I've always though it looked like a booger with disco ball head, arms and legs.  It's a horrible logo to represent a company, they tried to make it too cute and used really bizarre shade of green in my opinion, seriously that's a mental hospital shade of green.  You want vibrant colors that reflect power and energy, not mental breakdown green. 

I hadn't seen that shade of green since Linda Blair vomited it in the movie, Exorcist.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    plovell wrote: »

The most recent example is a cousin with a 15" MacBook Pro who asked me to apply the latest upgrades. We found that, unfortunately, 10.7 Lion was as far as that hardware could go. And my brother-in-law still stays with his PowerMac G5 running 10.5 despite all my efforts to get him moved to a Mac Mini. The cousin, in particular, asked for the upgrade because she was concerned about security.

I'm writing this reply on an old MBP that can't be upgraded past 10.4.7

I use it as my throw-away internet crawling computer, for which it works wonderfully. As the tag-line goes, "It just works!"
  • Reply 73 of 127
    foggyhill wrote: »

Only a few like Amazon, have been able to escape this (Google Android) death grip by forking.

In China, because Google is out, language barriers and yes rampant piracy, the play store was not as important, so they effectively cut Google out and there it could mostly be called open source even though most of the development of the bottom layer is still being done by Google. But, for how long? Google is not making any money from those Chinese users.

And the more Apple moves to push Google apps off its products, the blinder Google becomes to important search data, and the more isolated Google becomes to the active big spenders, who Google's real customers (the advertisers) want access to... ultimately Google will pay dearly for stealing from Apple. IMHO

FInally, I see some bad karma being generated in France over Google's data collection... This makes Apple's Spotlight seem like a great direction the more I think about it.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    appletweak wrote: »
    "Somewhat ironically, Google even brands Android with a robot logo usually portrayed in the sick color of a sinus infection discharge. "

Really? Going a little over the top on a Friday, aren't we DED?

Oh man. I thought that was hilarious!
  • Reply 75 of 127
    YellowGreen!? Eew......

The nasal discharge with boogers and fresh mucus mixed with puss.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    mstone wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Actually the color depicted in image at the top of the article is not the official color. There is no actual named web color that matches the official Android color but the closest is YellowGreen </span>
    #9ACD32. There is an unnamed web color (
    #A4C639
    that is right on, but that is 
    irrelevant
     since the only suitable way to describe a color when writing an article would be to use an official named color. Nasal discharge color is a subjective description used only to demean Android. The actual Android color is a very clean and pure looking shade of green (
    PMS 376C)

I know what you are saying, but then most Android devices have poor color rendering displays (even from one part of the display to another). So, no mater the color number, they all see something different anyway.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member

Dan the derogatory simile man. Epic effort, mate! Keep up the good work. 

(My first visit for a few months but can tell from the whining noise, the old geezers from the Muppet Show are still here; complaining about Apple bias on an Apple booster site. )

• Reply 78 of 127
    The inability to update an Android phone to the latest Android version supported by the hardware on the day the update is released is unacceptable. This is the #1 reason I would never use an Android phone as my primary smartphone. On the other hand you can pick them up for as little as $20 and they make a great FPV screen for drones.
  • Reply 79 of 127
    Funny how Windows PCs come in a huge variety of hardware configurations requiring a myriad selection of drivers for each hardware component and yet Microsoft has no problems sending out updates to everyone directly without having to go through Dell, Lenovo, HP or all the other countless OEMs.
  • Reply 80 of 127
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I don't mean this to be high praise, but I still feel that Android's got nothing on Flash when it comes to repeated, serious, incompetent bouts of insecurity.