Apple brings Windows 10 support to Mac in Boot Camp update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    The newest Boot Camp works just fine on a 2006 MacBook Core 2 Duo with a slight workaround. Windows 10 64bit is running wonderfully too. I have also installed Windows 10 32-Bit on a 17" MacBook Pro Core Duo just to make sure that works too. For those of you that don't know, if you're hardware isn't supported, the easiest thing to do is partition your drive for Windows, do a normal install of Windows 7 or 10 or whatever you want (I did 7 then upgraded to 10). After you do the install, rather than looking everywhere for your drivers, just run the Bootcamp software downloaded from Apple's website. It will set all of them up for you. If you don't have a "supported Mac" you just go further into the folders of the Boot Camp download and each individual driver is in there in a .exe file. So just start clicking. If your computer doesn't need the driver, it won't install it. Now for those of you who want to install the bootcamp portion so you can see your OS X hard drive or partition or be able to change your Mac settings, it's a little more complicated although not really. If anyone would like some guidance, let me know.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

You both have v6?  :(

• Reply 23 of 27
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimmermann View Post

Says a Dutch paper: MacBook's are the best Windows computers. Better than Dell's or Lenovo's. Even the trackpad works better...

I say that's nonsense. Windows trackpad drivers generally aren't near as good as Macbooks under OSX, but the Boot Camp side of it is the opposite story, most native Windows laptops do far better than Apples Boot Camp drivers. Those are a horrible mess of oversensitive taps and drags and no native Windows 10 gesture support.  

Trackpad++ can make it much better, but it really should be Apple doing it natively, they advertise Boot Camp as a selling point, so WIndows should be working well on it. With the default trackpad driver I could barely stand it. 

I also just use vendor graphics drivers rather than waiting around for years between Boot Camp updates to get Apples latest WIndows graphics drivers. Intel ones at least let you update straight from Intel. 

• Reply 24 of 27
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think the problem is that Windows 10 (and 8) don’t officially support the Radeon 4xxx series (and maybe 5xxx), so Apple would have to write their own driver.

And that’s work, so they’re against it.

My older laptop has a HD 4570, it works on Windows 10 using the same driver as Windows 8. Default Windows graphics driver works fine for it too, you miss game profiles from a Catalyst driver, but who is still gaming on the 4000 series. 

• Reply 25 of 27
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Default Windows graphics driver works fine for it too

It always booted to 640x480 for me. Had to put it to sleep and wake it up to get it to recognize native resolutions.

...who is still gaming on the 4000 series. 

Well, me, up until the card committed suicide.

GTX 980 coming Friday, though.

• Reply 26 of 27

Tried Boot Camp 6 (came with El Capitan b8) to install both Windows 10 and (when that failed) Windows 8. On my Retina MacBook Pro late 2013 (512 ssd/16mb ram) Boot Camp Assistant failed to correctly partition the drive -- it created a no-name partition (not labeled "Bootcamp") and the windows installed refused to proceed.

There are several posts here and there about fairly complicated work-arounds; I'm disgusted that Apple didn't get this right in the first place. Not much point in bragging that you've released Boot Camp support for windows 10 when it fails with nearly-new/quite high-spec laptops.

BTW, Windows 10 is running just fine on this same machine using Fusion 8.

• Reply 27 of 27

How to Install Windows 10 from iso on old MacBook running El Capitan

http://tsentas.net/install-windows-10-from-iso-on-old-macbook-running-el-capitan/