I just saw this post about iPhone 6s. Mixed feelings.

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/61803/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Look at A9. It's 2GHz, substantially higher.
On the other hand, 1GB RAM only. Maybe Apple wants to differentiate the performance between iPhone and iPad (at least for another year). Maybe the RAM could be LPDDR4. I hope so.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

Look at A9. It's 2GHz, substantially higher.

On the other hand, 1GB RAM only. Maybe Apple wants to differentiate the performance between iPhone and iPad (at least for another year). Maybe the RAM could be LPDDR4. I hope so.

The funny thing is that Samsung fans often love to show off the fact that the new "S6 Plus" has a whole 4 gigs of RAM. However, the reason is that they need that much RAM, because Android is such a pig. And if Android isn't enough of a hog, what about all of the poorly written apps that litter the Android arena? If they didn't have so much RAM, the experience would be that much slower.

I had been using an iPod touch 5th generation, and it only has 512 megs of RAM. It was always enough for me, and now that I've upgraded to the 6th generation, (with an A8) it's been more than enough. The thing is, the S6 is faster in theory, but in practice, the iPhone is less laggy, not because of the amount of RAM, but because of the quality software that powers it all. I'm a software engineer, and I absolutely love iOS. Everything about it is better, and it is overall easy to write apps for. And because the App Store is so heavily moderated, you have more of a quality guarantee from the third party apps.

If the A9 only has 2 gigs, I say whatever. Apple will make up for it elsewhere.

• Reply 2 of 2
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

On the other hand, 1GB RAM only.

Battery. Modern RAM has to be powered regardless of if it’s in use. They’re working on RAM that only powers parts of the chip depending on use (I forget the name of it), but it’s not in production yet.

Apple prefers battery life/power draw to performance. Performance per watt is everything to them.