Technical question about HEVC and Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2015

There has been a lot of speculation about what will be in the new Apple TV, including some speculation about 4K and HEVC.  While I am not interested about 4K content at the current time, I do have a question about HEVC and the Apple TV.  Basically, if Apple includes HEVC in the Apple TV, and changes content in the App Store to use HEVC, can I still use it with HEVC even if the TV doesn't include HEVC support?  In other words, will the TV act as a "dumb moniter", or will the lack of built in support prevent it from working?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Originally Posted by Kendog52404 View Post

Basically, if Apple includes HEVC in the Apple TV, and changes content in the App Store to use HEVC, can I still use it with HEVC even if the TV doesn't include HEVC support?

Oh, yes, of course. HEVC, unlike... what was it... HDCP? is just a codec for the encoding of video content. It’s not a layer of copy protection, it’s just the next step beyond MP4 (which was a step beyond MKV, AVI, MPEG2, etc.). All the processing is done in the Apple TV, so what’s shot to the TV is just what the Apple TV did already.

Now, HEVC-encoded content can probably have HDCP slapped on it, but as long as your hardware supports HDCP it’ll be fine.

• Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, yes, of course. HEVC, unlike... what was it... HDCP? is just a codec for the encoding of video content. It’s not a layer of copy protection, it’s just the next step beyond MP4 (which was a step beyond MKV, AVI, MPEG2, etc.). All the processing is done in the Apple TV, so what’s shot to the TV is just what the Apple TV did already.

Now, HEVC-encoded content can probably have HDCP slapped on it, but as long as your hardware supports HDCP it’ll be fine.

thought so, but you see so many TVs with MPEG-4, H.264, MKV, AVI, and other codecs, that I was concerned.  I realize that those codecs are intended for streaming media, either from the internet or in home, but I didn't know if it would effect if the codec processing was handled in something else, like with the AppleTV, so I wanted to check.  Thank you for the help.