Griffin launches Survivor Tactical, Ultra Thin cases for Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    "Sport". You'd think it would be cheap enough to replace often or rugged enough to abuse. The Apple Watch is neither. It's a luxury product for tech gadget lovers. Luxury products should be treated to luxury care, not daily rough-housing.

I have a case on my iPhone 4 because it's too brittle and slippery as designed. Apple condemned it by design to be shattered or hidden, so the design was an utterly foolish choice for aesthetics alone. Especially for a handheld "do everything" product.

I don't have a screen protector on any more because I got tired of the bubbles (yes I applied it correctly), the scratches in the protector (more scratch prone than glass), and the texture shimmer (intended to make the screen more easily touchable). I've since sustained a few minor scratches, just keeping it in a pocket with a (plastic) lip balm. I guess that's on me. But still, these things should be made for USE. The design of the iPhone 4 was NOT. How are the newer ones? Minor case scratches are just a fact of life, but slippery and brittle is choice of design. Jony Ive has made some nice stuff, but he has crossed the line in various places (most egregiously in GUI "design").

If the Apple Watch isn't designed to survive being worn constantly, and if it's so expensive and delicate, I don't see the point in even having one. But then, I don't wear watches anymore anyway (not since high school).

The original iPhone was a tank. Especially in that thick silicone case I had it in. Hell, it survived being thrown at walls and doors (with one dent) AND a run through the wash (with only minor screen corruption). My closest friend that I gifted it to is still using it to this day (with a shimmery screen protector and the rugged case). She constantly drops it. The iPhone 4 isn't even close to that level of solid build... though it's still way more rugged (with a case) than the average laptop with moving parts. But in the case, the fancy design is pointless.

Things aren't designed for real-world use anymore, or they're built too cheap for real-world use. One or the other.

If you choose to buy an expensive luxury gadget like the Apple watch, treat it delicately. And yes, it's just a gadget. It's not even usable without an iPhone. Why have both? The iPhone is at least usable for an amazing number of things without being crippled by form.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Those cases kind of make the apple watch look like the new swatch.

• Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

is yours a model with a sapphire screen?

No mine's the Sport. Just realized the poster had the sapphire. Apple really cut corners with the glass, there's a reason why even $300 Seikos and Citizens use sapphire.

Stop whining. You get what you pay for.

• Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

Im under the impression you don't even have an AW. how then are you qualified to determine it as a compromised product? (ignoring for the moment that all products are compromises of various aspects). I'm trying to figure out what makes you not an apple watch troll...

I'm pretty sure 99% of these pro-watch trolls, like you, don't own one. Freshly wiped from a lens cleaner, 3 months old. I've only used it in the office, I've taken it off for rough and sweaty activities ever since the crown started sticking.

Stuff forming a line in the upper left is scratches and you can see the deeper of the two scratches above the 2, the one that diffracts the screen light. There's more close by that you can't see. Scuff on the upper right as well.

You can also see how the anodization comes off on the lip on the upper left (some of it is camera saturation but some of it is bare aluminum)

This watch is going to be completely unusable by the end of 2 years.

Hmmm... your number input screen is purple!? Really? Did they make a special one for you?

• Reply 25 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

"Sport". You'd think it would be cheap enough to replace often or rugged enough to abuse. The Apple Watch is neither. It's a luxury product for tech gadget lovers. Luxury products should be treated to luxury care, not daily rough-housing.

I have a case......

$350 isn't "luxury" by any stretch of the imagination.

"Gadget", bad word of the day rolled back around to that one eh?

• Reply 26 of 28
    I learned the hard way I have to extra careful with my watch sport. I forgot to take it off was in the shower and realized it. So I put it outside if the shower on my towel on top of the hamper. Finished showering and grabbed my towel to dry off and heard a loud pop.

Forgot about my watch. It fell directly on to the tile. Shattered the screen. Thankfully have apple care for $49. When I took it in they said a number of people have dropped it when putting it on.

Just have to be more careful. I baby my iphone (no case) and will my watch as well.

The 5 days without made me realize how much it integrates and motivates.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    sog35 wrote: »
    They did.  Its called the AppleWatch.  

Not Apple's fault you decided to go cheap and buy the sport edition.  If you know you have a history of bumping into walls you should have gotten the Sapphire Watch.  For the rest of the 99% who bought the Sport, they don't bump into walls so they are doing well.

Its your fault you didn't research the product.  You know that the material is similar to the iPhone glass.  So why the hell would you expect it not to scratch when you come into contact with a wall?  

Bottom line:  Either stop walking into walls or get the sapphire watch.

I've been wearing my ? Watch sport everyday for almost 3 months now and I am seriously not used to having something on my wrist. Smack it into stuff all the time and never had a scratch. My 2-yr old grabbed it when I wasn't looking and threw it hard onto the ceramic tiles floor in the bathroom before I could chase him down and get it back (he is seriously FAST for a 2-yr old, folks). The ion glass has a couple scratches if you concentrate on it hard enough, and a fairly noticeable scratch on the aluminum near the bottom left. It's not noticeable unless I look closely, and anybody who I show off my watch to never notice it, lol. But if it ends up annoying me too much I can totally see myself grabbing the thin case to cover up the scratched area. The ? Watch just looks so beautiful, though!