Hulu launches $12 'ad-free' streaming tier to fend off Netflix, other rivals

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Hell sling TV + HBO is only $35 and has ESPN, TNT, AMC, ect.

Plus a $50 per month internet account, and you still don't get local channels without a quality outdoor antenna and some wiring that could be expensive to install.

• Reply 22 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mstone wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Hell sling TV + HBO is only $35 and has ESPN, TNT, AMC, ect.</span>
    Plus a $50 per month internet account, and you still don't get local channels without a quality outdoor antenna and some wiring that could be expensive to install.

You can't add the whole $50, because we do more with internet access than just watch TV.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I went thru that silly exercise with Verizon a couple weeks ago. It's cheaper for a new subscriber to get 25mb internet plus basic local and HBO ($50 no contract) than it is for a current subscriber to drop everything but internet. That's a flat $75.

Of course that's on a Monday. On Tuesdays you get a different deal. /s
  • Reply 24 of 53
    So you think 100 crap TV channels should stay on air?
    No I do not. Just telling you what the outcome will be IMHO. Some wheat is going to get trashed with the chaff.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    SlingTV + Cable Basic package (includes broadcast channels) = 40+ channels = $35
    Internet = $40
    Total = $70

vs

Internet + Cable Standard package + 2 HD-DVR = $150

The savings of a skinny bundle and AppleTV is significant.  
    Where did the HD-DVR enter the picture? Weren't you just complaining about possibly losing them? Streaming to a second TV may well require additional money too.
  • Reply 26 of 53

Internet + Cable Standard package + 2 HD-DVR = $150

The savings of a skinny bundle and AppleTV is significant.  

Go for it then. All I'm saying is the cable companies are not going to become a dumb pipe willingly. If people start opting for internet only, that subscription is going to get very expensive. Their shareholders want to squeeze at least $100 from every household and they control the last mile.

• Reply 27 of 53
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Funny you should bring this up. Yesterday’s podcast of MacBreak Weekly discussed this very thing. Advertisers are quite up in arms over iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 having new ad blocking technology. Websites that depend on advertising for their income could block access unless you agree to ads. Many popular and useful websites could simply vanish. Leo LaPorte said he originally founded Twit to be ad free and asked for donations instead. Didn’t happen. Basically people don’t want to see ads but they don’t want to pay either. Tightwads. Another possibility is micro payments where you don’t pay a subscription but you do pay say 5¢ for every article you access.

Bottom line is you can’t have it both ways. You can’t blocks ads and still expect the website to stay in business. You don’t want to pay for your content but you somehow expect the website to run on thin air anyway. If you get rid of ads then expect the diversity and content of the Internet to diminish. There are only so many subscriptions people will be willing to pay for every month. Let the market decide you say? Then only the big sites will be left.

How much per month would you pay for access to AppleInsider, iMore, MacWorld, 9to5 Mac, MacRumors, and all the other excellent Apple centric websites that have been around for a long time because of ads? Block the ads, goodbye website unless you pay.

The web was around before it turned into the cesspool that the commercial and ad peddlers have made it. In any case the ad issue here is with respect to TV series and dramas which ads have ruined. Unfortunately most people are willing to subject themselves to the brainwashing techniques that ad agencies are good at in order to obtain "free" shows.
    To make matters worse movies and shows have ads built in to them ( product placements).

Even sports has been affected by the ad nightmare. The way games unfold are actually affected by the need to have ads. It's unfortunate and has resulted in a really different experience.

I can't drive anywhere without seeing and hearing ads at every turn. If iOS makes it difficult for the ad industry and those that have jumped on the bandwagon I won't be shedding any tears. Perhaps had they been a bit less greedy and reasonable when it came to ads then I'd feel for them.

Bottom line is the pendulum has to swing back to something reasonable. As far as TV goes this Hulu announcement is music to my ears. Hopefully Apple is watching.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    HD-DVR on the AppleTV will be in the cloud. 

The pricing I showed has no data caps.
    What about your local channels? Watching live college or pro football without a DVR is not going to be as satisfying.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Bottom line is the pendulum has to swing back to something reasonable. As far as TV goes this Hulu announcement is music to my ears. Hopefully Apple is watching.

So how much would you be willing to pay in order to be able to post your response here on AI?

• Reply 30 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Educational channels may be some of the first to bite the dust. That and some of the sportsman stuff.Ovation? I wouldn't hold out hope. But I least we won't lose fine content like Sharknado on Syfy! They'll find a paying audience.

If people don't value education or were brought up to not find it entertaining then that is too bad. Let them dig ditches for ten years and see how much fun that is. If society doesn't value quality then that's just too bad. I'm sure the world will evolve just nicely on a diet of SciFy junk, fast food junk and junk education. People have to see just how much they are losing out on in order to start developing a sense of taste.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Attach a hard-drive to the AppleTV?  who knows.  Or maybe record it in the cloud.   Which would probabily cost $10 more a month for 200GB storage.  Still much better than the $50 the cable company charges for 2 HD-DVRs

This isn't rocket science.

It cost more to produce 200 channels than 40 channels.
    You're preaching to the choir. I already ditched cable and know how to get around things on the cheap, like that DRV issue. But it's not nearly as convenient or simple as having a cablebox multi-room DRR. Even finding out what's on TV is a bit of a pain. I thought a 4-channel Tablo would be the way to go. It's not at least for me. Wife also hates the techiness. She want to pick up a remote, see what's on, then tune to it without even a few seconds lag. So looks like a Roamio with lifetime might be what I end up doing. Still will cost about $400 even with a factory-refurb box.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

If they start charging $100 just for internet you will see competition swooping in to set up their own internet service.  

Once Google fiber is done here I can give the cable companies the big middle finger.

Google fiber is in so limited deployment it is not an option for 99% of people. And it costs $70/mo for fast internet. They also have a smaller plan $300 setup fee +  $25/mo for the first year and then $0 afterward for 5Mb speed but that isn't really enough to stream TV reliably. And you still need their special router as well. If you are going with Google fiber you might as well just get their TV as well for $130/mo.

• Reply 33 of 53
    Go for it then. All I'm saying is the cable companies are not going to become a dumb pipe willingly. If people start opting for internet only, that subscription is going to get very expensive. Their shareholders want to squeeze at least $100 from every household and they control the last mile.

I agree. I don't think chord cutting and streaming is going to save money. Cable companies will simply increase prices for bandwidth. They will not willingly give up money. Nevertheless, there is something to be said for the freedom to watch what one likes.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You're preaching to the choir. I already ditched cable and know how to get around things on the cheap, like that DRV issue. But it's not nearly as convenient or simple as having a cablebox multi-room DRR. Even finding out what's on TV is a bit of a pain. I thought a 4-channel Tablo would be the way to go. It's not at least for me. Wife also hates the techiness. She want to pick up a remote, see what's on, then tune to it without even a few seconds lag. So looks like a Rovio with lifetime might be what I end up doing. Still will cost about $400 even with a factory-refurb box.

Too bad. I thought the Tablo was really a neat thing to look into that would solve most of the issues I had with OTA TV.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Bottom line is you can’t have it both ways. You can’t blocks ads and still expect the website to stay in business. You don’t want to pay for your content but you somehow expect the website to run on thin air anyway. If you get rid of ads then expect the diversity and content of the Internet to diminish. There are only so many subscriptions people will be willing to pay for every month. Let the market decide you say? Then only the big sites will be left.

I don't mind the small unobtrusive ads that don't burn up my battery. It's the ones that pop up over my content or mimic content or flash on and off to get attention or make me watch 1min of commercials (the same on over and over and over...) for each 30sec video I watch... This is ridicules!  I refuse to have anything to do with advertisers that put crap all over my screen anyways so what I block has no impact on them anyway.

Even Appleinsider's front page is about twice as many ads as worthwhile.. It's been shown that fewer well designed ads garner more interest (clicks) then lots of flashy ads that people tune out.

• Reply 36 of 53
    pmcd wrote: »
    Too bad. I thought the Tablo was really a neat thing to look into that would solve most of the issues I had with OTA TV.
    The lag irritated my wife to no end, and me too tho not as much. The lifetime subscription for $150 might make it OK for you tho. Be sure to get the 4-tuner if you have another TV to stream to. It's the best deal I could find outside of building/buying a Kodi box, which Relic's mention has me looking at.

But as I mentioned, to make the wife happy I'll probably end up with a Roamio refurb. with prepaid lifetime. No way a monthly subscription makes economic sense to me. I have one subscription and that's for Sling with the added sports package. I just can't break my ESPN addiction.
    When GoT starts back I'll add HBO.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Competition is GOOD for the consumer.
    You don't always seem to think so depending on who/what the competition is.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    dougd wrote: »
    I dropped Hulu for HBONow and won't go back. No comparison
    They are completely different services. HBO gives you original content plus movies primarily. Hulu gives you next day access to current TV shows
  • Reply 39 of 53

I made the switch and no more ad's, just watched my first show and it was nice with no ad's :D

• Reply 40 of 53
    mwhiteco wrote: »
    I made the switch and no more ad's, just watched my first show and it was nice with no ad's :D
    Amazon Prime can be your best friend. ;)