Firefox for iOS preview launches in New Zealand, to hit App Store by year's end

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

I use Chrome and Safari on my PC. Safari and Chrome on my MacBook. Safari and Atomic Web (password protected browser) on iOS.

Safari on PC?  It's been unsupported for a couple of years now.

I personally use Firefox on PC (with iCloud bookmark syncing), Safari on OS X, and Mobile Safari on iOS.  I do have Firefox installed on OS X for the rare cases where something doesn't work right in Safari (and I can't avoid it).  Still seem to be the odd group of web developers out there who don't test with Safari for some reason.

• Reply 22 of 28
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) Firefox's reign is all but gone, but according to StatCounter's latest results at least German and the Central African Republic both use Firefox on the desktop more than any other browser.

2) I don't think that many use Chrome over Safari on iOS so I wonder how much money they expect to gain from this. I guess the creation costs are pretty low but it all just seems sad considering how late they are to the party.
    That's not exactly an objective comment. Are you seriously asking why other web browser front ends on iOS would be desired?
    That still afford the Firefox user specific features that aren't offered by Safari, just as Chrome for iOS does.

OK... I give. I installed them all :)

Seriously though, I've installed Firefox on almost every single computer I maintain for clients.

Why? Simple: most router's and config software on the market (here) don't like Safari. So I have the choice of FF or Chrome. While I could use Chrome and then either a) be sure to kill/block all of the background processes, or b) uninstall it completely... I rather decide to use FF and leave it. In the case that a client needs to do something "special" where extensions (plugins) are needed that aren't available in Safari, we're all set and ready to go. And NO... the small subset of extensions for Safari don't fit the bill for certain "specialized browsing cases".

With that said, I do suggest that the majority of my clients stick to Safari on OSX with a few *critical and necessary* extensions for most if not all of their desktop browsing. Mainly because of the painless sync between iOS and OSX.

Personally: I practically live in Firefox (dev reasons) and really don't know what the heck you haters are talking about. :no:

***Must have Safari Extensions in order of necessity: 1Password, Click-to-Flash (almost forgot!), Ghostery, uBlock, Evernote, Pocket, and ZoomBySite. ;)
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

***Must have Safari Extensions in order of necessity: 1Password, Click-to-Flash (almost forgot!), Ghostery, uBlock, Evernote, Pocket, and ZoomBySite. image

Question: you use Ghostery and uBlock both? Is there no overlap? I've recently enabled uBlock and got rid of all the others I was using (like Ghostery and AdBlock and anything else that was about tracking, I'd tried several including combos of them at different times and never been satisfied I'd found the perfect solution). Do you mind if I ask which 3rd party filters you enable in uBlock? uBlock seems good, but doesn't always block things other extensions seemed to block for me in the past, so I've pretty much enabled just about all the 3rd party filters (which I know must be silly) but mostly works. One reason for my moving to uBlock was to be as streamlined as possible, especially given how some extensions are notorious at eating memory and/or slowing browsing down. Thanks!

• Reply 24 of 28
    Question: you use Ghostery and uBlock both? Is there no overlap? I've recently enabled uBlock and got rid of all the others I was using (like Ghostery and AdBlock and anything else that was about tracking, I'd tried several including combos of them at different times and never been satisfied I'd found the perfect solution). Do you mind if I ask which 3rd party filters you enable in uBlock? uBlock seems good, but doesn't always block things other extensions seemed to block for me in the past, so I've pretty much enabled just about all the 3rd party filters (which I know must be silly) but mostly works. One reason for my moving to uBlock was to be as streamlined as possible, especially given how some extensions are notorious at eating memory and/or slowing browsing down. Thanks!

Well actually... you just explained why I install both extensions uBlock and Ghostery. Both of them seem to do the trick and I suppose there are some overlaps if I took time to look for them. Both of them though are famous because they're very light "load" and processing power requirements. Part of the reason I dropped AdBlock from my list a couple of months ago.

Here's my filter list... very basic.... but works for us:

• Reply 25 of 28

Why? Simple: most router's and config software on the market (here) don't like Safari. So I have the choice of FF or Chrome.
    I disagree with this. I've found maybe 1 router that I've had a problem with Safari and it was a cheap nasty no real brand modem supplied by Telecom NZ. Not had a problem with others though
  • Reply 26 of 28
    I disagree with this. I've found maybe 1 router that I've had a problem with Safari and it was a cheap nasty no real brand modem supplied by Telecom NZ. Not had a problem with others though

^^^ That's 99% of the routers I run across, supplied by Deutsche Telekom, many that are well over a decade old. Most routers have been and are supplied by the ISP(s) here for years and I rarely run across a small business or residence that has purchased a router on their own. The other major brand here is from AVM, Fritzbox. While the newer models "can" be configured in Safari, many of the older ones don't "always" play nice.

Let's also say, I'm just a sorry creature of habit and continue to do installation routines or troubleshooting that have just always worked. I could/should probably try each time to see if Safari will work, but then again I've always believed it's a good idea to have at least 2 browsers installed anyway... ya know... just in case. For me it's FF rather than Chrome unless a client is already using it and invested in the Google-Sphere in some way.

Just yesterday and Friday I installed a "security" WiFi multi-cam setup for a small shop. The embedded camera config system required opening up ActiveX to the world on a Windows VM, and I swear the config HTML and Java hadn't seen an update since the early '00's. Funny enough after the setup just for giggles, I logged in with Safari and lo and behold, it worked and was far faster and stable. Just no recording capability (ActiveX crap)... but I'm looking into a solution for that by scripting scheduled screen shots. We'll see, but anything is better than having ActiveX "open for business", regardless whether it's in a port-locked VM or not... ;)
  • Reply 27 of 28
    croprcropr Posts: 1,126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Safari on PC?  It's been unsupported for a couple of years now.

I personally use Firefox on PC (with iCloud bookmark syncing), Safari on OS X, and Mobile Safari on iOS.  I do have Firefox installed on OS X for the rare cases where something doesn't work right in Safari (and I can't avoid it).  Still seem to be the odd group of web developers out there who don't test with Safari for some reason.

Very simple reason:  not every web developer owns a Mac

• Reply 28 of 28
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

Very simple reason:  not every web developer owns a Mac

I can accept that for personal websites.  However, when it's a paid, commercial, web-based product, the web developers need to ensure it's tested on all major browsers.