Apple wins key patent appeal vs. Samsung, could bar features from future Galaxy devices

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I prefer the app on the iPhone. But on the iPad, I use the web version.

The app version does not allow private messages, etc.

That's feedback you'll have to give to AppleInsider so they can improve the app.

• Reply 42 of 47

There's more explaination to the patents infringed over on Ars. Seemingly the patent in question is one used on 2012 Samsung phones such as the S3, as they no longer use Slide-to-unlock.

• Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

While I'm at it, download an ad blocker for iOS 9! I just downloaded Crystal and now AI actually loads quickly, and doesn't go through all the BS refreshes like it does without a blocker. IT IS MUCH FASTER! AI's technical foundation is a total POS! ...but now problem solved.

Sadly, Crystal seems to bork up some sites.  With Crystal, when I go to yahoo finance to look at a stock - its chart just spins its wheels without populating.

• Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

good luck with that the supreme court annually gets 10000 cases for judgement and only hears around 75 a year.

@Mechanic : Sure, and very few cases have the support of legal community / academics and interests from a broad range of major companies from manufacturing to tech industries that Samsung enjoys this time around.   I'd say the chance is very high. 

• Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

I can't even figure out why it would be a split decision. If you get a patent on something you have an exclusive right to it for a set period of time. There is no requirement that you share your patents.

@DaveN :  this split decision in the appeals case deals with a very specific issue -- whether a sales injunction is an appropriate remedy for Samsung's infringement, not whether Apple has to share their patents.

• Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MAJANI View Post

Samsung's 'slide-to-unlock' is more Similar to Neonode's icon-less sliding, I'd say. Regardless, as long as pattern unlock isn't touched I care little.

Autocorrect is a strange one. I'm curious about what claim apple has to is considering Dean Hachamovitch invented it and Microsoft implemented and patented it long before the iPhone existed. Why is this exclusively against Samsung when almost every stock version of Android includes autocorrect, and almost every third party android keyboard worth its salt includes it?

Quicklinks I'm not familiar with at all. What is it?

The autocorrect patent is also strange in that it's not even used by Apple.  And that's one of the main reasons why the district court refused to grant an injunction on this case.   The legal standards for granting an injunction in the US is fairly high and patent holders must prove infringement and irreparable harm (eg, lost sales) to ban a product here.  By reversing the lower court's ruling, the majority in this case pretty much reversed their own legal precedents they themselves had established in the past.

Quicklinks is essentially hyperlinks.  See below for more detail:   

Quote:

Patent 5,946,647: “System and method for performing action on a structure in computer generated data”

This is the feature where iOS recognizes certain key phrases in emails, text messages and other text and automatically turns them into links. For example, I just received the above text message from my supermarket, Ocado, confirming my grocery delivery for 7-8pm tonight. iOS has highlighted the time, and if I touch that it will ask me if I want to create an event or view that time-slot in the Calendar app.

The slide-to-unlock patent is pretty much dead.  While the USPTO has not yet invalidated the patent, the recent Alice vs CLS Bank ruling pretty much invalidates all patents are merely computer-implementation of well-known abstract ideas. 

• Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lymf View Post

So what's the next step? I mean we all know this is just one episode of season 5 but the already signed for 3 more seasons...

@lymf : I think Samsung should request an en banc. If not, the SCOTUS.