iOS 9 Safari content blockers debut to demand, denouncement & a high-profile delisting

Comments

• Reply 61 of 421
    I just installed Crystal. I did this because I was sick to death of adverts for Uber. The moment you scroll across them they redirect you to the App Store without even clicking on them. It was ridiculous on some sites with 2 huge uber adverts on each page of content.

Now, web browsing is fast and ad free. If crystal ever supports a white list then I would re-enable adds on some sites (like this one) but for sites which take the piss then no chance.
  • Reply 62 of 421
    I should add as well that if the apple insider app was a paid app with no adverts then I would buy it.
  • Reply 63 of 421

He’s such a complete idiot. Utterly brain dead. What’re the odds that he got a HUGE payout from Google or Amazon?

Yes, it's very suspicious. He had no qualms when creating the thing, then he pulls it right after its launch? This reeks. Please investigate, AI or someone else.
  • Reply 64 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pistis View Post

I do not understand how by removing ads I'm costing them money because I never buy stuff from them ever. 

Publishers get paid by ad networks based on ad impressions (views) and click-throughs. When you visit and scroll through a web page, ads on that page are loaded and displayed. Those loaded ads count as impressions regardless of whether you looked at them, liked them, clicked through, or ever purchased the advertised product. Some ads aren't even meant to sell anything directly, but are only intended to create awareness about a brand or product.

Ad blockers prevent those ads from loading in the first place, and therefore prevent the website from receiving ad revenue.

Note that I'm not defending advertising... just responding to your comment and explaining how ad blocking takes money away from website publishers.

• Reply 65 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post

I just installed Crystal. I did this because I was sick to death of adverts for Uber. The moment you scroll across them they redirect you to the App Store without even clicking on them. It was ridiculous on some sites with 2 huge uber adverts on each page of content.

Now, web browsing is fast and ad free. If crystal ever supports a white list then I would re-enable adds on some sites (like this one) but for sites which take the piss then no chance.

This is one reason why Marco Arment's Peace ad blocker was so good. It allowed you to whitelist a website.

I hope Marco is planning on re-releasing Peace after adding the ability to whitelist benign ad networks (like The Deck) in addition to white listing websites.

• Reply 66 of 421
    Ab blockers are no less moral than mute buttons on remotes or DVRs, both of which are used to ignore advertising. Sites will adapt and the industry will do fine...
  • Reply 67 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

Ab blockers are no less moral than mute buttons on remotes or DVRs, both of which are used to ignore advertising. Sites will adapt and the industry will do fine...

Perceived morality aside, there's a big difference between the two examples you cited. When you block web ads you are directly cutting off revenue from that site. When you mute or skip ads on TV, the advertiser has no way of knowing this and there is no immediate impact to the TV channel's revenue.

• Reply 68 of 421
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He’s such a complete idiot. Utterly brain dead. What’re the odds that he got a HUGE payout from Google or Amazon?

If you knew anything about Marco you would know that he is a highly respected and conscientious software developer. Do some research before slandering people you don't know.

• Reply 69 of 421
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    you used the words "advertising" and "morality" in a sentence that did not connect them with "has no"

I pay for the phone, the data plan, the software

I owe advertisers [B]nothing[/B]. basing your livelihood on something that was always technically expendable was a calculated risk

I've blocked ads for years. if your content goes away, I'll find other content.

I know apple has their own motives. I stopped expecting moral outcomes from a capitalist society when I was 19.

I have no qualms about leveraging someone else's one-upmanship
  • Reply 70 of 421
    I have whitelisted Appleinsider so that the ads appear and have decided to do the same with the sites that I like and frequent. Perhaps a culture of doing this will save the free web?
  • Reply 71 of 421
    I'll whitelist this site if it redesigns its front page to focus on content rather than ads.
  • Reply 72 of 421

The truth is that the vast majority of "content" on AppleInsider is regurgitated stories from other sites, typically stories that have broken on 9to5mac. The main reason I visit here is for DED's articles, which aren't all that frequent anymore.

• Reply 73 of 421
    Sites get greedy and add more and more adverts until you get a site with adverts down each side and on the top and bottom and a narrow list of information down the middle. Yes, just like AI.

Apple don't make money from ads and as customers, we don't really want to see ads. So Apple are doing what is best for them and their customers. Websites will have to work out a new way to make money or be more clever with their adverts.

Ads waste mobile data so getting shot of them is a good thing.

What is really annoying for me is the Google ads that have tracked what you have looked at and then show you adverts for that thing for the next 3 months. Most of the time I have bought that thing on day 1 so I don't need the reminder. I wish that there was an "I have bought this" button to clear an ad or an "I'm not interested in this product" button to make the adverts more relevant.
  • Reply 74 of 421
    jessi wrote: »
    On top of that the ads use tracking and install lots of needless cookies.

Notice how the worst douchebags-- the self important, self appointed idiots that low quality sites refer to with such reverence are using snotty ad services like The Deck?

Gruber charges an arm and a leg for people to come to his site which is itself all advertisements- you can't block it because all he writes about is his app, his friends, himself, his political opinions (ignorant of course.) and then there's the "sponsored posts" which is %50 of the posts these days.

There's nothing but advertising on that site.

complete, delusional, loathing, nonsense. your post, that is.
  • Reply 75 of 421
    cali wrote: »
    The other day I asked if there was an ad blocker for Goog ads only.

You see I'm a VERY moral person by nature. Ads don't bother me most of the time but I REFUSE to fund a scumbag thief named Goog.

Middle Ground:

Isn't the News app supposed to solve this? I hope so. I want Goog out of my life completely.

1Blocker allows you to set up complex rules based on many variables. I'd bet you can block Google ones.
  • Reply 76 of 421
    Thanks Neil. Good perspective and these kinds of articles are why I enjoy (and pay) for Appleinsider. I am fine to pay for content that I use frequently - NYT, Atlantic and Appleinsider on iPad.
  • Reply 77 of 421
    Apple did provide a middle ground. It's called News. If you encounter an iDevice with a blocker offer to send them to News. If you sell ads for your content you keep 100% of it. If you choose not to you still get 70% of what Apple sells.
  • Reply 78 of 421

It's likely true that the biggest annoyance to most people is that the technology being used to deliver the ads just isn't that good. Slowing performance, causing crashes, eating large amounts of data, security risks...those are real penalties to consuming media that don't exist in other formats. I don't use ad blockers, but those problems are very obvious when web browsing and it seems like there's an element of complacency when it comes to improving the experience. 

• Reply 79 of 421
    lewchenko wrote: »

Purify offers whitelisting. but I won't put this site on it until it fixes it's homepage.
  • Reply 80 of 421
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think that most reasonable people will happily settle for a quid pro quo and truce if these same online publishers didn't swamp us with the crappy, creepy (as in tracking us), Flashy, in-your-face, intrusive ads that recipients are paying for via the receiver-pays data plans in countries like the U.S.

You reap what you sow.

hear, hear!

i am quite onboard with corporate sponsorship. and know the actual costs of publication thanks to scientific journal subscriptions (where all costs are picked up in the subscription pricing, no advertising allowed)

but the below screenshot shows what i am annoyed with - the tracking. everywhere. it is insidious.