Apple releases fixed watchOS 2 for Apple Watch with native apps, Time Travel, nightstand mode

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I realize that I’m one of the very few lucky ones <sarcasm> that had absolutely no issues updating to Watch OS 2.0. I must live in an alternate universe from people like the poster before me who has read ‘hundreds’ of reports of failed installations and thinks it’s all ridiculous. Yet another abject EPIC FAIL by Apple. How does the company continue to exist with these constant failures and crappy software that 100% of users are experiencing? /s

Of course I’m watching all of this from my alternate universe enjoying the new features and speed of Watch OS 2.0. How did I get here anyway?

• Reply 62 of 90
    Mine started as saying 2 hours, well that is after I removed the beta profile. I didn't want iOS 9.1, it broke some of my apps. I had an update and thought it was the iOS 9 final. ? should tell you that you will constantly keep getting betas. I was willing to help on 9, but that should have been it.

Anyway, the watch. So I saw it said watch and phone needed to be on wifi. From previous research I know wifi is a second choice if bouton is available. So I killed BT in the phone, asked the Siri watch a question and got an error as expected. This forced it over to wifi. Asked a question again and got an answer. Confirmed on my router the watch now had an ip and was on wifi. Now the download went from 2 hours to 20 min.
    I wonder if it's downloading it to the watch directly from the phone watch app.
    So 10 min went by, then I wrote this. Just checked, now it says 4 min left.
    So if you can force the watch to wifi it will go faster. I learned this when I was painfully waiting music to transfer to the watch. For transferring large bits of data BluTooth is just to slow. For small communications it's fine and uses less energy.

Remember, for the watch to get on wifi the phoned must be on that same 2.4Ghz wifi, that's how it's gets the network password. And yes, I did this after the download already started and gave me 2 hours, so it just kept going and didn't cause me to restart the download.

I hope this helps others as well.
  • Reply 63 of 90
    Well maybe apple just bright more servers online and it was a coincidence.
    But is was under less than 20 minutes. Now it's installing on the watch still over wifi only, so now I know that works.
  • Reply 64 of 90
    FYI for those that see Warch OS 1.01 - Your software is up to date. Most likely you are still running iOS 8. Watch OS 2 requires iOS 9. If you are still running 8 it will say 1.x is the latest version.
  • Reply 65 of 90
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Rrrrrrrg not downloading. Has being saying
    1 hour remaining, for an hour. And the wife's cannot
    Find the updates. Rrrggg
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Quote:

Originally Posted by acidedge76 View Post

Has anyone on the iOS 9.1 Public Beta seen the new WatchOS 2 update? Still not seeing it here in Houston.

It's definitely here in Houston. You must be having some other issue.

My update said 4 hours initially, then after a minute or two started showing 1 hour remaining. 30 min later it's now "down" to 60 minutes remaining lol.

• Reply 67 of 90
    WatchOS 2 installed OK first time for me in the UK without any problem.

Initially it said 2 hours, then 1 hour but it was actually less than that, think.

My watch and iPhone 5s were near to each other but at the opposite side of the house to our WiFi router which was 2 floors up and has several walls in the way. It may have been faster if I'd done the update in the same room

I didn't check the network traffic but suspect the download to the iPhone was quick - I think it's the transfer to the watch and Flash programming that took the time.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    rmarch wrote: »
    FYI for those that see Warch OS 1.01 - Your software is up to date. Most likely you are still running iOS 8. Watch OS 2 requires iOS 9. If you are still running 8 it will say 1.x is the latest version.

Also if your on beta 9.1 you have to remove the beta certifiactate. Not the one on your phone settings, but the one in the watch app. You may not even realize it was installed if you just signed up for the phone beta, but it does install with the phone beta. After removing it, you will need to close the watch app and reboot the watch. It wouldn't hurt to reboot the phone also just to be sure,
    It's then I was able to get watch 2.0 after removing that cert and restarting the watch.
    Good luck.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    scottjd wrote: »
    Well maybe apple just bright more servers online and it was a coincidence.
    But is was under less than 20 minutes. Now it's installing on the watch still over wifi only, so now I know that works.

I forgot to give an update since I was playing with the watch. It installed without any issues and my phone is on iOS 9.1 beta. I had to remove the cert, I did with both phone and watch, restarted both. Downloaded in 20 minutes, installed fast to the watch since I forced it to use wifi and had BluTooth turned off.
    Seems to be working good.

Only issue I noticed is the AirPlay from the watch is not seeing my Apple TV, but my iPad and phone do. So I'm still looking into that one.
  • Reply 70 of 90
    rmarch wrote: »

Seems to me that Apple could easily have put out a more informative pop-up message then. No?
  • Reply 71 of 90
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Finally! After 2 hours or so got the watches updated.
    Now going to play with mine!:p
  • Reply 72 of 90

Anyone know if it's possible to change the default green color in nightstand mode? I assume you can't since I've gone through all the settings on the watch. 

• Reply 73 of 90
    Quote:

Thanks for this!  Took me a while to figure out how to delete that, but sure enough.  Go figure.  I do public beta 9.1 and I cannot upgrade my watch.  The logic behind this is lost on me. I have to get great advice on a fix by digging around AppleInsider?  My worry of late, longtime Mac user, is that Apple is starting to become what Microsoft was, and that the opposite is occurring also. Ugh.  Again, thanks!

• Reply 74 of 90
    It took me over 2 hours to download and it's been verifying for over an hour. This is not the user experience I have experienced from any other Apple product. :\
  • Reply 75 of 90
    I' ex been running the install for 6 hours now with no joy. Perpetual Preparing... mode. What gives?
  • Reply 76 of 90
    I forgot to give an update since I was playing with the watch. It installed without any issues and my phone is on iOS 9.1 beta. I had to remove the cert, I did with both phone and watch, restarted both. Downloaded in 20 minutes, installed fast to the watch since I forced it to use wifi and had BluTooth turned off.
    Seems to be working good.

Only issue I noticed is the AirPlay from the watch is not seeing my Apple TV, but my iPad and phone do. So I'm still looking into that one.
    Bluetooth off? AirPlay from the ?WATCH ?
  • Reply 77 of 90
    lkrupp wrote: »
    I realize that I’m one of the very few lucky ones <sarcasm> that had absolutely no issues updating to Watch OS 2.0. I must live in an alternate universe from people like the poster before me who has read ‘hundreds’ of reports of failed installations and thinks it’s all ridiculous. Yet another abject EPIC FAIL by Apple. How does the company continue to exist with these constant failures and crappy software that 100% of users are experiencing? /s

Of course I’m watching all of this from my alternate universe enjoying the new features and speed of Watch OS 2.0. How did I get here anyway?
    Beats me. I've been patiently waiting almost 7 hours for my install to begin.????

It takes a bit of coaxing to make it work. Had to turn the ?WATCH off and on. Then go out the Software Uodate pane and back in before verifying... switched to installing... Even then there was a bogus “charger accessory not supported” message on the ?WATCH. And my 100% charge dropped to 81% in minutes. While the Software Update pane reverted to iOS 1.0.1 is up to date message while the ?WATCH progress spokes continued to progress. Finally after another ?WATCH restart it's all good.????
  • Reply 78 of 90
    multimedia wrote: »
    Bluetooth off? AirPlay from the ?WATCH ?

Yes, I turned BluTooth off so it was forced to use wifi to transfer the update to the watch. It goes faster. See previous edit post about 6 up.

To clarify, I turned BT back on before trying to do AirPlay. I don't know if it's a supported feature but if you swipe up to the ????? Things you get when you swipe up. One of them shows the connection status. Has do not disturb, silent, ping iPhone, and a new icon that looks exactly like AirPlay on all my other iOS devices.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    You can't make it native. It is up to the developer to make it native. I only found three or four apps that Have added OS 2 features. Web M.D. is now a complication you can add for medicine reminders . The weather Channel is also native. It can also be used as a complication on several watch faces. E*TRADE financial is now 2.0 native. You can go to your app updates on the iPhone and see which apps updated today and look thru the information it should say something about watch OS 2. I'm sure many more will be coming in the next week or two .
  • Reply 80 of 90
    Yes, I turned BluTooth off so it was forced to use wifi to transfer the update to the watch. It goes faster. See previous edit post about 6 up.

To clarify, I turned BT back on before trying to do AirPlay. I don't know if it's a supported feature but if you swipe up to the ????? Things you get when you swipe up. One of them shows the connection status. Has do not disturb, silent, ping iPhone, and a new icon that looks exactly like AirPlay on all my other iOS devices.
    I see what you mean. But pressing the Apple Watch button doesn't lead to an AirPlay connection with any of my AirPlay enabled devices - ?tv & AirServe on my Mac.:rolleyes: