Apple sends out iOS, email reminders urging users to renew Apple Music

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

I was hoping that they will fix or improve some things over the 3 months period, but they did not even try. Things I would like to see addressed:

• I do not see the need to decide between my own music and Apple Music on my mobile devices. I want my tracks synced plus subscription music, not subscription music replacing my own music with different versions of songs.

• I want to be able to enable Apple Music without putting my library, my metadata etc. at risk.

• I want complete transparency in the software. If it can't tell me at a glance what is local and what is consuming my metered bandwidth, I won't use it. I don't want to be without data for days every month, just because I was streaming songs I already own and could store on my device if iTunes would allow me to sync anything once this stupid service is enabled.

• Both, iTunes 12.2.x and the Music app are pathetic, unstable and classes worse than their predecessors. And it is not only Music. Even with tv shows and movies 12.2.x has spacing issues with subtitles, the trackpad causes erratic forward/back operations when scrolling through horizontal lists, there are audio drops when playing through external audio interfaces, the app does not keep its screen position when returning from a movie or tv show playing full screen, the display/status of purchases is deeply confusing, etc ad inf (and yes, I have reported all of these issues over and over, some since iTunes 9 or 10)

• Suggestions are mainly pathetic. By that I mean they are so mainstream and obvious that every cab driver could give me more original ones.

• Connect is beyond pathetic, looks like a 1990s web page with syndicated content, neither the management nor the usage are anywhere obvious. And even if you figure something out by sheer coincidence, there is really nothing.

Put Apple Music in a separate app (it was overloaded with functionality before, and it won't get any better), leave my content alone, don't tell me your crap radio edit of song x is better than my copy (which I bought uncompressed directly from the artist for a reason) and eventually give me an option to stream songs at higher quality (even if that is $20 a month) and I might reconsider. For now I consider that a failed experiment that should never have shipped as a release version, fooling people to believe it is safe to use. I use Apple products since the Lisa, and this was the most irresponsible and poorly implemented thing I can recall. Thousands of pages of "how to" articles written in the last three months are ample proof that this is not what Apple is about.

• Reply 22 of 54
    tbell wrote: »
    I guess that Apple would consider 10% a success.

10% of the 10% iTunes account holders? I hope it's going to be more. I don't much much faith in it, though.
    It's the old "you never get a second chance to make a first impression" thing IMHO. Personally, while I find the current price too high for my needs compared to iTunes Match (_my_ needs is having my music in the cloud and maybe have as mouth way for discovering new music. Currently it's iTunes Match and Spotify free service for me) I might have given it a chance if I hadn't been for the bugs that have been reported. Maybe that scared off others as well. Interface also appears to require some makeover..

When I met my wife I also didn't go like "ok, we need to replace that leg and straighten the hat, change the left eye and then it will work." You get my point.

Regarding the service itself I cannot comment, obviously, since I'm not a subscriber. I'd like to read some first hand experience here. Will you subscribe? What's your reasoning?
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Out of protest my $120 is going for the 64gb iPhone upgrade and I'm cancelling my subscription.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I miss iTunes Radio, actually.

You miss Radio?   I use it nearly every day

• Reply 25 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tourun View Post

Out of protest my $120 is going for the 64gb iPhone upgrade and I'm cancelling my subscription.

So they still made $120? Some protest

• Reply 26 of 54

It served to remind me to make sure I had shut off the automatic renewal (I had).  

I do have an iTunes in the Cloud subscription ($25/year). Not so much for iTunes Match, but it makes iTunes Radio Ad free.  Worth it for that alone IMO. 

• Reply 27 of 54
    dcgoo wrote: »
    You miss Radio?   I use it nearly every day

iTunes Radio no longer exists. The Apple Music stations aren't as good.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

iTunes Radio no longer exists. The Apple Music stations aren't as good.

It IS on the Apple Music page in the app, press the RADIO button.  It is essentially identical to the old service. All the stations are still there, I did not lose anything.  It works just as adequately as it always has for me.  Not great, but adequate.

• Reply 29 of 54

• Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

So they still made $120? Some protest

Not in the long run.  I won't sign up again for Apple Music.

• Reply 31 of 54
    dcgoo wrote: »
    It IS on the Apple Music page in the app, press the RADIO button.  It is essentially identical to the old service. All the stations are still there, I did not lose anything.  It works just as adequately as it always has for me.  Not great, but adequate.

No, they're not. Classical Chill is gone, and that was my favorite playlist. :(
  • Reply 32 of 54
    mstone wrote: »
    Better than having to opt out at the end of the free trial like Amazon Prime.

Only you do have to opt out right now, or be automatically charged on Thursday the first, exactly like Amazon Prime.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tourun View Post

But i bet you'll upgrade your phone :p 

• Reply 34 of 54
    Also: being critical of certain Apple products and/or services does not make one an Apple hater. I own multiple Apple products, as well as Apple stock, but that doesn't prevent me from rightly criticizing the company when it flubs. It's a company, not a religion, folks. I think some of your forget that sometimes.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tourun View Post

Not in the long run.  I won't sign up again for Apple Music.  My money will go to an iPhone 64gb iPhone s6. 

But i bet you'll upgrade your phone :p 

I would have upgraded my phone regardless.  However, I'm willing to bet that Apple will not do a 16gb phone next year.  

• Reply 36 of 54
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tourun wrote: »

I was really betting that iOS 9 would fix all the ?Music issues. What happened?

I bet you would subscribe if they improved the service. Here's hoping they do during an iOS 9 .1 update.
  • Reply 37 of 54

Originally Posted by tourun View Post

Quote:

I was really betting that iOS 9 would fix all the ?Music issues. What happened?

I bet you would subscribe if they improved the service. Here's hoping they do during an iOS 9 .1 update.

Sorry, this got posted incorrectly.  I like Apple Music A LOT.  This post went with another one on my complaining about the assalot accounting/marketing decision of a iPhone 6s 16gb.   

• Reply 38 of 54
    saarek wrote: »
    I won't be renewing, my iTunes Match service covers what I personally need.

Perhaps I'm using it wrong, but I didn't find much "new" music and will keep buying what I want.

Can understand why others, especially those without big music libraries or iTunes Match would consider this.

I have a somewhat large iTunes library (20,000+ songs) and iTunes Match but I will still be continuing my ?MUSIC subscription.

I usually by at least $120 worth of music each year so being able to access even more new music than I normally get for that price makes it worthwhile.

I haven't had any of the issues others seem to be experiencing with the service though such as corruption of local libraries so that has made it a positive experience for me. The closest thing to an issue I have had was ?MUSIC App not saving ratings/likes but that was fixed in an update.

I don't think ?MUSIC is for everyone. So if you don't listen to new music often then it wouldn't be worth it. But if you do enjoy listening to new music I think it's a great service.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    i renewed (had disabled auto renewal previously). wasnt expecting to...but ive really enjoyed discovering new music via the curated playlists.

i also enabled iCloud Music Library. im unclear tho what i need iTunes Match for any longer... well, once the new ATV has Music on it, that is.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    rogifan wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm missing something. Where is the "pressuring" in that email?

Look up other recent articles by Roger Fingas. There's a pattern here.

Along with some of the Samsung ads and articles constantly referencing them, I wonder who owns the site and what the agenda is.