Apple releases OS X 10.11 El Capitan with Safari 9, new Spotlight search, Split View, more...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    Downloading in the uk.....not so instant gratification with an hour to wait lol ??
  • Reply 22 of 72

I'm on the GM (15A282a). Is it worth while downloading the final version?

• Reply 23 of 72
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by virtua View Post

Downloading in the uk.....not so instant gratification with an hour to wait lol ??

I've just spotted it in UK Mac App Store. I think I'll wait until tomorrow morning before upgrading my 8 year-old iMac :D

• Reply 24 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

So...the same release schedule as every year since 2012? Sure, there's a new Apple TV but there also wasn't an update to the core iPad for the first time ever.

We got three new operating systems in the same month. iPad Pro coming. Apple TV could have been better but it's better then what I have now. iPhones that in my opinion are awesome. Touch ID is so fast I barely get my hand on the phone, really fast CPU and even faster GPU. I would say it's also worth pointing out the iPhone rollout has been one of the best i've ever seen. My iPhone 6s + was suppose to come 10/1 it was here on 9/25. 

• Reply 25 of 72

Apparently not news worthy enough to be showcased on Apple's landing page, as of now.

• Reply 26 of 72
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Do you realise how stupid it makes you look railing on people eager for the update when the article says that Apple HAS released it?

Here are some other stupid stuff that is on the way every time a new release comes out...

“I can’t find it. What’s up with that, Apple?”

“My Mac is now a brick. Thanks Apple.”

“Don’t they test this stuff before releasing it?”

“Steve would never have allowed this.”

“The download is taking forever. Why can’t Apple get its act together?”

“I click and nothing happens. Thanks Apple.”

“I’m getting an error message and the installer won’t run.”

“Restore from a backup? What’s a backup?”

Stupid is as stupid does.

• Reply 27 of 72

Installed and started using it. 8-)

• Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Here are some other stupid stuff that is on the way every time a new release comes out...

“I can’t find it. What’s up with that, Apple?”

“My Mac is now a brick. Thanks Apple.”

“Don’t they test this stuff before releasing it?”

“Steve would never have allowed this.”

“The download is taking forever. Why can’t Apple get its act together?”

“I click and nothing happens. Thanks Apple.”

“I’m getting an error message and the installer won’t run.”

“Restore from a backup? What’s a backup?”

Stupid is as stupid does.

You forgot "Downloading now. 0:23 minutes left on my 5-gazillion-byte connection :D"

• Reply 29 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I'm on the GM (15A282a). Is it worth while downloading the final version?

I was asking myself the same question except that my GM is 15A282b.

• Reply 30 of 72
    appexappex Posts: 687member

Great. Now, when new Macs with Intel Skylake, Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 (reversible) generation 2, and SDXC reader supporting UHS-II maximum speed (300 MB/s), as well as Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad with built-in USB 3.1 ports and Apple Thunderbolt Display with such ports?

• Reply 31 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

If you have Office 2016, don't download El Cap yet, Microsoft is still working on a fix, ETA unknown. 2011 appears to be unaffected.

I've been using the Beta for El Cap for a while now in conjunction with Office 2016, what is your issue?  The Office suite works fine from what I've seen.  Their (POS) OneDrive for Business client has issues but you can use the individual office apps to access your online content without any issues at all.  It's been VERY stable in fact.  I don't see it as a reason not to upgrade your OS, but your needs may vary,

• Reply 32 of 72
    johnnash wrote: »

I've been using the Beta for El Cap for a while now in conjunction with Office 2016, what is your issue?  The Office suite works fine from what I've seen.  Their (POS) OneDrive for Business client has issues but you can use the individual office apps to access your online content without any issues at all.  It's been VERY stable in fact.  I don't see it as a reason not to upgrade your OS, but your needs may vary,

http://www.imore.com/microsofts-office-2016-mac-appears-be-having-some-trouble-el-capitan
  • Reply 33 of 72
    appex wrote: »
    Great. Now, when new Macs with Intel Skylake, Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 (reversible) generation 2, and SDXC reader supporting UHS-II maximum speed (300 MB/s), as well as Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad with built-in USB 3.1 ports and Apple Thunderbolt Display with such ports?
    Buy a verb so we can solve the puzzle.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    Anyone know if it's the same as the GM?
  • Reply 35 of 72

If your are using any of the major music programs do upgrade yet. These companies are not ready for El Capitan. Motu midi driver, Finale 2014d, LogicX, etc. 

• Reply 36 of 72

Thanks for the info, I was not aware at all.

That said, I was not aware at all. I use Word and Excel quite heavily and have yet to have a single crash, maybe I am one of the lucky ones.

• Reply 37 of 72
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Thanks for the info, I was not aware at all.

That said, I was not aware at all. I use Word and Excel quite heavily and have yet to have a single crash, maybe I am one of the lucky ones.

What version of Word? 15.14 (150911)?

• Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

What version of Word? 15.14 (150911)?

Yes.

BTW - since we are discussing Office related stuff:  http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-updates-onedrive-for-business-with-new-sync-client-updated-android-and-ios-mobile-apps/

• Reply 39 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NIZZARD View Post

Anyone know if it's the same as the GM?

It appears it is 15A284.