Apple releases OS X 10.11 El Capitan with Safari 9, new Spotlight search, Split View, more...

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member

Normally my OS X upgrades happen flawlessly. I have had nothing but problems this time:

Instead of opening up after install, I got a black screen with my cursor visible and operational, but nothing else. Did manual (power button) shut down, but ended up in the same place. Called AppleCare and was sold to do a safe boot up and this time it installed and opened. But when I tried to move windows around the screen, I got flashing ghost images, and the icons in the dock were chunky when the cursor ran over them and they expanded. Also no sound, and the sound control had disappeared from the menu bar. Tried sound settings but internal speakers didn't even show up on the source list, and not of the checkboxes or selections worked, and the menu was janky when I scrolled. Called AppleCare and they told me to zap the PRAM. That fixed all those issues. She made it sound as though this was not uncommon--knew right what the problem was.

Tried to use iBank today and when I opened it, it thought I was a new user and asked me how I wanted to set it up. No data! Chatted with their tech support and got it fixed after to tries.

So far, El Capitan benefits: 0, deficits 2. Beta Testers seem to be asleep at the wheel this go round.

• Reply 62 of 72
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

I think the best feature is Time Machine not doing automatic backups every hour. I like having to force the backup myself.

Mine does, you better check your settings.

• Reply 63 of 72
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Normally my OS X upgrades happen flawlessly. I have had nothing but problems this time:

Instead of opening up after install, I got a black screen with my cursor visible and operational, but nothing else. Did manual (power button) shut down, but ended up in the same place. Called AppleCare and was sold to do a safe boot up and this time it installed and opened. But when I tried to move windows around the screen, I got flashing ghost images, and the icons in the dock were chunky when the cursor ran over them and they expanded. Also no sound, and the sound control had disappeared from the menu bar. Tried sound settings but internal speakers didn't even show up on the source list, and not of the checkboxes or selections worked, and the menu was janky when I scrolled. Called AppleCare and they told me to zap the PRAM. That fixed all those issues. She made it sound as though this was not uncommon--knew right what the problem was.

Probably not. But anytime certain bits of hardware aren't recognised, Safe Boot and zapping the PRAM are the first lines recourse; the latter has been for decades.

• Reply 64 of 72
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickers View Post

I think the best feature is Time Machine not doing automatic backups every hour. I like having to force the backup myself.

I think the best feature of Time Machine is the fact that it does automatically backup every hour!!!

Check your settings as my iMac is being backed up as I type this...

• Reply 65 of 72
    moxom wrote: »
    I think the best feature of Time Machine is the fact that it does automatically backup every hour!!!

TimeMachineEditor
  • Reply 66 of 72
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    moxom wrote: »

It's also non-functional for me. Mid-2010 iMac install has been a disaster.
  • Reply 67 of 72

Tried to use iBank today and when I opened it, it thought I was a new user and asked me how I wanted to set it up. No data! Chatted with their tech support and got it fixed after to tries.

So far, El Capitan benefits: 0, deficits 2. Beta Testers seem to be asleep at the wheel this go round.

I've zapped my PRAM with little effect.. (snip)

UPDATE: If you have an older Mac or iMac, try zapping your PRAM three times in a row (something I've never had to do before). Shut down your computer, turn it on and immediately hold down Option-Command plus the P and R keys on your keyboard. Keep holding them until you hear a "bong" sound, it will shut down and restart, you'll hear another "bong", then let it do this a third time and take your hands off the keyboard and let it start up normally. This should take care of the issue.
  • Reply 68 of 72

Wrong!

Outlook for Mac 2011 is non-functional under El Capitan, as I discovered with horror this morning after upgrading.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3098396

Additionally, Safari is not playing ball correctly with Outlook Webmail on Office 365. I was forced to download Firefox in order to access one of the Outlook Webmail accounts.

As a business user on a new MBP, I am deeply disappointed and have had a really stressful day.

The most disappointing thing is the realization that Apple and Microsoft still can't get their collective, coordinated act together in 2015. Beta releases and Gold Masters don't seem to mean anything.

One day, Apple will enhance the OS update experience to warn users if any of the apps on their computer could be adversely affected by upgrading.

YEAH, RIGHT!!

• Reply 69 of 72

I am writing this from my good old 2009 13" MBP. It went through the install without issues and it is working fine with me since the early public betas on this machine (not counting obvious bugs in the OS). I was pleasantly surprised. It was not a clean install, but I ran this as an update on Yosemite. The one thing I had to do, though, was disable TRIM support prior to installing and I unplugged all external devices as well. 

• Reply 70 of 72
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Ghostery

https://www.ghostery.com/en/try-us/download-add-on/

Thanks for the reply lkrupp.  I have been using ghostery for a while, but I was hoping for an iOS style content blocker that blocks all the bad stuff before it even gets to Safari, rather than filtering it out like a good old Safari Extension.

I haven't found anything yet apart from some dodgy looking project on reddit called Block Party.

Which I shan't be installing.

• Reply 71 of 72
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

Updated from 10.6.8 on my 2015 MBP with 8 gig RAM and SSD. I upgraded in place.

I like it. On the plus side, the new window management stuff I like. I will keep El Cap. I like the new security features since Snow Leopard. It's the new OS. It was time to update.  Also I love full screen mode.  I like the "dark mode" and I want to activate it across more of the OS as I recall reading about, and by continuing to use iPhoto, etc.  

Also everything just worked. Mail, iCal, etc.  Update was faaast. Then again, it's a Mac. It just worked. 

This new Windows 8 'flat' metro look though, coming from 10.6, I am not a fan. No menu bar up top to grab on i.e. iTunes. the traffic light window control buttons are smaller than 10.6, are flat, for me hard to click and the little symbols in them aren't even centered. It doesn't follow the seminal UI guidelines Apple researched many years ago. I.e. Tognazini's writings on interfaces, etc.  Too flat, not nearly enough contrast, it's all washed out-looking on my MBP LCD display. 

Photos is a joke.  I will avoid it until iPhoto doesn't work.  iTunes has been bludgeoned beyond any use to me since a version long ago. 6? 7? Whatever. Pandora and Youtube for me.

I'll settle in to it.  I only wish they add back a hint of texture to the UI a la 10.6 at some point, i.e. 10.12 or beyond.

• Reply 72 of 72
    Anyone else getting update notifications for Photos but unable to install the update because the updater says the software is 'currently unavailable'?