Tim Cook marks anniversary of Steve Jobs's death, remembers a leader, mentor, and 'dear friend'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The Telegraph newspaper published the anecdotes Tim referenced in his memo, from Tim, Eddy and Phil. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Clearly this is an orchestrated "leak" from Apple PR which doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps why there was nothing from Jony Ive even though he was closer to Steve than Eddy, Phi and arguably Tim too (he was actually in the room with Steve and family when Steve died). Some things should be private, just for Apple employees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/steve-jobs/11912356/Steve-Jobs-closest-colleagues-share-memories-of-former-Apple-boss.html
  • Reply 22 of 29
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The Telegraph newspaper published the anecdotes Tim referenced in his memo, from Tim, Eddy and Phil. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Clearly this is an orchestrated "leak" from Apple PR which doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps why there was nothing from Jony Ive even though he was closer to Steve than Eddy, Phi and arguably Tim too (he was actually in the room with Steve and family when Steve died). Some things should be private, just for Apple employees.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/steve-jobs/11912356/Steve-Jobs-closest-colleagues-share-memories-of-former-Apple-boss.html

You have evidence of this?

• Reply 23 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    I hope not. At some point soon Cook needs to respectfully stop marking the anniversary and simply remember Jobs in private.

why does he "need" to do that? is running the biggest, most-successful public tech firm in history some sort of problem he's currently experiencing that he "needs" help with?

it hasnt even been 5 years, thats pretty fresh. i doubt he will on, say, year twelve.

im generally puzzled by those who need to drum up new controversy about total nonsense, such as whether its been long enough to not send a memo.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Do William and Harry put out a letter every year on the anniversary of princess Diana's death? Her passing caused way more outpouring of grief than Steve Jobs passing did. I know this is intended for Apple employees but every year now the memo has leaked. Even if Apple PR isn't leaking it themselves they have to know by now someone will.

royal family mourning a loved one isnt the same as employees in a business that has often been claimed to be "adrift" and "doomed" without their deceased founder & leader. that is bogus, and id guess part of Cook's intent is to remind them that they can do great things without Jobs.

the memo is written for the staff, it doesnt matter if they know it will get leaked on rumor sites.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I hope not. At some point soon Cook needs to respectfully stop marking the anniversary and simply remember Jobs in private.

Agreed.

This would never have happened if Steve Jobs was still alive.

(Seriously, people? We've got opinions on how long people should pay their respects for now?)
  • Reply 26 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Agreed.

(Seriously, people? We've got opinions on how long people should pay their respects for now?)

There's no "we" in my comment. That was my own opinion, which I'm certain Tim Cook will never see, just like 99.9% of the comments here.

• Reply 27 of 29
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Agreed.

You seem to have!

By the way, this was an internal memo to Apple employees. In other words, in private, and what a company or a person does to remember their friends, fellow founder(s), staff or family is their business and prerogative. If I recall, Apple posted a Remembrance on their web sight a year (and possibly more) after Steve's passing. Did you see one this year?

And how in the hell would you know what Steve would have done. For all his faults, do you really think that he completely forgot about his parents as you suggest about yours?

• Reply 28 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member