Apple Pay coming to Starbucks, KFC, Chili's in 2016

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    kkqd1337 wrote: »
    N=20 to be fair! I do have friends

Us medical people don't like additional hassle and that's what Apple Pay is. Keep it simple. Robust.

I'm trainee - general and urology. Kings College London

That's the thing, using Apple Pay with the Watch is simpler and faster, double tap on the button, place your wrist next to reader, payment taken and job done.

When you said you're a surgeon I presumed you already had your MRCS in the bag.
    Oh well, you're not far off now and certainly further than most!
  • Reply 42 of 79
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member
    chia wrote: »
    That's the thing, using Apple Pay with the Watch is simpler and faster, double tap on the button, place your wrist next to reader, payment taken and job done.

When you said you're a surgeon I presumed you already had your MRCS in the bag.
    Oh well, you're not far off now and certainly further than most!

i do have the MRCS but it doesn't make you a surgeon

You need an FRCS and CCT
  • Reply 43 of 79
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    But chip and pin has nothing to do with the ease of use of ApplePay. For example, you can use ApplePay at certain places and then be asked to either sign ("chip and sign") or be asked for a member number (e.g., in a drugstore such as Walgreens that accepts ApplePay).

Use of credit cards also has nothing to do with liability: banks in the IS are responsible for any unauthorized use of your card for over $50.

It appears to me -- I might be wrong about his -- that you do not know, or have not have had experience with, how ApplePay works and how incredibly smooth and convenient it is. 

If I might chime in here. My debit and credit card have both had contactless built right in for the last 5 years or so.

It's dead easy to wave your card of choice at the NFC terminal and off you go.

That's also the reason for the £30 limit, if anyone steals my wallet they can go to McDonalds etc and use the card.

So, from an ease of use point of view us Brits have had it pretty good over the last 10 years, what with chip and pin followed by contactless.

And this is largely the reason for the lack of wow factor out here.

Having said that I see the obvious security benefits to Apple Pay over my contactless credit card and look forward to the day financial spending caps are removed from Apple Pay specifically in the UK.
  • Reply 44 of 79
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    How encrypted are the payment information with chip and pin? The card being authenticated is nice: but the data breaches in the U. S. involved breaching the vendors database and pulling card information by the millions from there. I've had two cards replaced with the notification it was due to vendor data breaches. The last one was a chipped card, didn't seem to matter.

Apple Pay utilizes a tokenization protocol so the vendor never has access to card information. How's the European chip and pin handle that data stream?

Yes, yes, the gentle stroke of rich Argentinian leather blah blah: but I'll take never having my data vulnerable to a database breach thankyouverymuch. And just slap a Vaja case on the thing.
  • Reply 45 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

Plus - if your battery dies on the underground and you can't use it to tap out of the underground station you are fined as if you don't have a ticket £70-£100 or something like that. Those are not good Apples.

Call me old school but I never leave the house without both some cash and credit cards.

The battery never dies on cash or credit cards. Even credit cards can rarely have their flaws. Sometimes the mains power, or the merchants internet connection goes down and it's nice to have cash.

There are also tons of small mom and pop places that I frequently shop and eat that take cash only.

I know that no matter what I am doing, the combination of having cash and credit cards will always work.

• Reply 46 of 79
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    Chili's changed their menu and butchered it (were they going for hipsters or something?), KFC is crap and I don't drink coffee, so...nice wins, but none of this benefits me.

Did you really feel like this was a helpful comment? No one here cares about your eating habits.
  • Reply 47 of 79
    It's weird that this is news

In the UK pretty much any shop that takes card playments supports contactless payments (incl Apple Pay)

I personally don't use it because in my opinion using a phone for payments is over engineering a very simply process

I just use contactless payment with my debit card - no batteries - no Fingerprint messing around. Much faster and more reliable than Apple Pay

Fingerprint Security isn't really needed either with payments limited to £30

We have chip and pin here in Canada also but you are incorrect. Chip and pin is not as safe as you assume. Apple Pay and watch are much more secure.
  • Reply 48 of 79
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    ApplePay works in military commissaries.
  • Reply 49 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kkqd1337 View Post

Ok so I'm going to be very arrogant here! Brace yourself

I literally pity you for not having a wallet.

I have a collection of 3 absolutely beautiful leather wallets, they are stunning, robust, sleek and practical. Admittedly I haven't seen your iPhone case. But I'm assuming it's a ugly overpriced piece of cloth/plastic wrapped around your beautiful iPhone. I think your case is offensive to Apple designers who worked on your phone for years.

I take umbrage to the fact that you assume it's ok to cover your "5cm piece of plastic for design genius" with a "beautiful leather wallet" but you assume he covers his beautiful iPhone with an "ugly overpriced piece of cloth/ plastic".

For all we know, you wallet is crap. but you think it's pretty. We only have your word for it.

And I did use the word "umbrage". I'm speaking to an Englishman, right?

• Reply 50 of 79

I take umbrage to the fact that you assume it's ok to cover your "5cm piece of plastic for design genius" with a "beautiful leather wallet" but you assume he covers his beautiful iPhone with an "ugly overpriced piece of cloth/ plastic".

For all we know, you wallet is crap. but you think it's pretty. We only have your word for it.

[SIZE=8px]And I did use the word "umbrage". I'm speaking to an Englishman, right?[/SIZE]

Haha

You can bet your house on the fact my wallet is beautiful

And I will bet my house and my pet cat that you iPhone case is horrid and would disgust Mr Ive and Jobs.
  • Reply 51 of 79
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    ...I always loose them or just shove it in a bowel at home and it never gets used. Fingerprint is a problem with messy fingers, sugar, water, gloves etc
    solipsismy wrote: »
    That's a lot of forced bellyaching for an optional choice.
    Ok so I'm going to be very arrogant here! Brace yourself
    I'm a surgical doctor.... My phone auto correct knows bowels and not bowls
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I may have missed something but I looked at my wife's Panerai (?) and can't see what else it can do.
    It probably tells the date too? C'mon, man, that's YUUUGE....:smokey:
    Well - I'd like to think I keep my finger on the pulse of general opinion ;-)
    I'm trainee - general and urology. Kings College London
    saarek wrote: »
    And this is largely the reason for the lack of wow factor out here.
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Yes, yes, the gentle stroke of rich Argentinian leather blah blah:...just slap a Vaja case on the thing.

[SIZE=8px]And I did use the word "umbrage".[/SIZE]
    elehcdn wrote: »
    Why? I've dumped my wallet ... it's easier on the back ;-)

Speed-reading this thread was a trip and eye-opening experience.
    @AI - I told you these forums were heading into the toilet long time ago!
    :smokey:
  • Reply 52 of 79
    kkqd1337kkqd1337 Posts: 424member

I am proud to have nothing to do but continue to reply to this useless thread
  • Reply 53 of 79
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    This talk about a credit card not being able to text and make phone calls is silly.

How do you pay with a dead battery? Oh, there's that.
  • Reply 54 of 79
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    It's weird that this is news

In the UK pretty much any shop that takes card playments supports contactless payments (incl Apple Pay)

I personally don't use it because in my opinion using a phone for payments is over engineering a very simply process

I just use contactless payment with my debit card - no batteries - no Fingerprint messing around. Much faster and more reliable than Apple Pay

Fingerprint Security isn't really needed either with payments limited to £30

ima guess you've never used an iPhone. there is no "messing sround" with fingerprints.
  • Reply 55 of 79
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Oh come on!! Pleaseeeee

Wallets and mechanical watches are traditional items that should be relished.

No objection to developments and phones and Apple watches etc are great

But neither mean we don't need our past

so you still carry that horse buggy whip around, too, eh...
  • Reply 56 of 79
    It probably tells the date too? C'mon, man, that's YUUUGE....:smokey:

I don't know about the others, but mine was a reference to Jimmy Fallon's send-up of Donald Trump that has been widely reported in the US media.

Keep up with the news before getting sarcastic. :smokey:

(My comment applies to the guy that up-voted you as well).
  • Reply 57 of 79

I've been using the Starbucks app in Wallet (formerly Passbook) on my ?Watch for several months.  It works great and is the same basic experience as using your Starbucks card on iOS.  ?Pay on the watch is a little easier to initialize than opening up the Wallet app and selecting the Starbucks card, etc., since it only involves a double press of the side button and then the card is available for the next 60 seconds.  I guess that makes it easier to pay and as long as people get their * rewards * everything is cool.  Anecdotally, I see a lot more iPhone users paying for stuff at Starbucks electronically than I do Android users.  Not sure what the real ratio is but if I were to guess I'd say 3:1 easily.  So, not that big of a leap to go to using ?Pay from there.  It will be interesting to see how the new order-ahead-of-time-online feature will work and if you can pre-pay using ?Pay or with your Starbucks card, so you just walk in, grab your coffee and you're on your way.  I guess it uses the same location service that notifies you when you're near your local Starbucks.  Maybe you're just gonna click on something when you're nearing the location and then they start preparing your order?

• Reply 58 of 79
    They'll come around 100%, including for their rewards. They have to. As will other recalcitrants such as CVS.

Otherwise, my business goes elsewhere. I am quite sure I am not the only one.

(Btw, did anyone else catch the NYT story about how Samsung's LoopPay has been already breached? I am surprised AI hasn't carried that story!).

I'm sure DED is working on an article ;)

Cool.

And thanks for the link.
  • Reply 59 of 79
    buckkalu wrote: »
    We have chip and pin here in Canada also but you are incorrect. Chip and pin is not as safe as you assume. Apple Pay and watch are much more secure.

We have fish and chips in Germany also, bitte ist not as safe as you assume. Apple pie and wurst are much more secure.

SCNR ;). And it was a stressful day here....compensation.
  • Reply 60 of 79
    mushmash wrote: »
    Keep in mind that we Europeans are lucky. Payment and banking is a complete fucked up mess in the U.S. Heck, they still use checks(!), and while most European countries made the move to chips and nfc cards years ago, Americans still have to use the old magnetic stripe, and, hold on, sign the receipt instead of uaing a PIN.

I like the chip and pin cards. All of my credit cards and debit cards have chip and pin now except for one credit card which I highly doubt will get it. I don't use it so I'm not concerned about that card. I can't cancel it because it would lower my credit score as it was my first credit card.