Stop force closing apps on your iPhone, it's not making it run faster or last longer

Comments

• Reply 181 of 236
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I logged in to make the same complaint. Apps that don't have a "While Using the App" privacy setting in Location Services (and I'm looking squarely at [I]you[/I], [B]Waze[/B]) are almost certainly draining your battery unnecessarily.

Apple needs to implement an "override " setting to force these apps into playing nice with others.
  • Reply 182 of 236

Haha.. I'm guilty of force closing all my apps every now and then. Thank you for clarifying things, that way I don't need to waste my time on it anymore :)

• Reply 183 of 236

Wow you managed to be wrong and condescending all in one pio

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Casciato View Post

Actually, believe it or not, this guy is right. There used to be a time when we didn't have the Background App Refresh Setting, in phones with much less memory, and a version of iOS far less intelligent than todays. Apps are going to use different APIs based on their primary function. If GPS is one of them or even if it has access / ability (change that setting in your preferences / settings rather than just force quitting). Doing this repetitively for no reason can cause memory leakages and an unstable system. MUCH better off managing your settings properly and being a mindful, intelligent, and well-informed iPhone user, than beating it in the head with the mindless swipe of your finger. If the app is frozen, crashed, missing UI elements, acting odd, close it out, and restart the App, that is what it is there for. If it was a good idea to close out all your apps, don't you thing there would be a "close all" button somewhere???

Wow! You manage to be condescending and wrong all in one paragraph! Not easy!

I am not going to go in and change the apps settings when I can just quit the app, it's much easier to just quit. Quitting the app doesn't hurt anything and it sure improves the performance of my phone and battery life. If not having apps running in the background doing all kinds of things doesn't hurt things then why does low power mode shut down all those things down and drastically improves battery life.

Look use the phone how you want but don't insult people in the process.

• Reply 184 of 236
    asdasd wrote: »
    FB was abusing the system to stay awake. It's worth looking at the battery usage stats.

Why would the FB app need to do this? What's the advantage or need there?
  • Reply 185 of 236
    After reading almost all posts I feel there is a confusion going on between two different things.
    One: the expectation that moving any app to the background is equal to "doesn't use battery and doesn't eat performance". This is clearly not the case. Obvious example are navigation apps polling the GPS. Also any other app that plays audio, or have other background tasks running. They run. So they consume coy cycles and energy.
    Two: apps in the app switcher don't need "force quitting" through the app switcher since it doesn't improve performance nor battery life. Well, I guess that's true for all apps that don't have background tasks running. But not for the ones that do. Now the ones that do have background tasks running might consume very little and neglectible amount of energy/cpu. Or not.

So based on your expectation and app it can make sense to do this or not. Apart from maintaining the overview in the switcher as I personally find it not very clear and well implemented.
  • Reply 186 of 236
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Why would the FB app need to do this? What's the advantage or need there?

I assume it's a mistake. They probably want audio to continue for a video (why?) and are not closing down the audio channel when it finishes.
  • Reply 187 of 236
    I assume it's a mistake. They probably want audio to continue for a video (why?) and are not closing down the audio channel when it finishes.

Ah. So no big evil master plan behind ;)
  • Reply 188 of 236
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    a totally inaccurate article.
    Force closing apps free memory on the iDevice.
    memory manager should do that automatically every time ram is needed by other apps, but it's not so smart in doing that.
    Force closing any unused app, Im actually experiencing a crash free use of the device.
  • Reply 189 of 236
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,666member
    I never force quit anything and have had zero crashes since 9.0.1.
  • Reply 190 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by broderik View Post

I'd have to pretty much quote everyone above me, but most of them are wrong. I have some more proof.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330 which states:

There's also a video of someone actually monitoring ram and cpu usage of apps that are open and closed (this is back in the iOS 6 days, this was true even back then), which you can find here: 

For a more in-depth explanation, read this: http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

TL;DR: Article is correct, most of the replies up to this point are incorrect personal variations "well MY experience using this app or this app means that the whole app ecosystem behaves this way"

I monitored memory usage and by closing apps I can go from 50 Mb of free RAM up to 300 Mb in a second ....

• Reply 191 of 236
    So you went from 50 MB of wasted resources to 300 MB of wasted resources? And all you had to do was waste effort to increase this waste?

Awesome.
  • Reply 192 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

no, it's not. no more than taking out all the furniture in a room every time you leave the room is.

faulty apps side, you DONT NEED to manage apps on ios.

not according to my experience. And I don't know why your should be more valuable ...

• Reply 193 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxIT View Post

not according to my experience. And I don't know why your should be more valuable ...

Could you post a chart of your empirical results please? 

• Reply 194 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

nope. its not an app switcher -- it's a history of last-used apps, sorted by time. educate yourself:

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

From the Apple website:

If you want suspended apps to check for new content, go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and turn on Background App Refresh. If you quit an app from the app switcher, it might not be able to run or check for new content before you open it again

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202070

SO Apple calls it app switcher but you here are saying it isn't.

Interesting ....

• Reply 195 of 236
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Quote:

Then you are Doing it Wrong™ .   Just because you see what you think are "good" results when doing it wrong does not make it the right way.   There are extensive ways to manage this that work much better.

If an app is stuck or crashed or misbehaving then you may need to "force quit" it but using "force quit" as a resource management tool in general is the wrong way of doing it, no matter that you think it works great.  There are unintended consequences and stuff you may not be aware of that can and will happen.

• Reply 196 of 236
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Sometimes a forger to stop a radio app. That thing nerver stops, even in the backgroud, consuming both batterie and bandwight
  • Reply 197 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

So you went from 50 MB of wasted resources to 300 MB of wasted resources? And all you had to do was waste effort to increase this waste?

Awesome.

No, I went from 50 Mb of available resource to 300 Mb of available resources.... And I'm not whining about "tabs reload" or app crashing in my iPhone 

• Reply 198 of 236
    Quote:

I monitored memory usage and by closing apps I can go from 50 Mb of free RAM up to 300 Mb in a second ....

What good is that free RAM doing for your device? Unused RAM is wasted RAM. It's not making your device any faster or prolonging the battery life.

The important detail is that iOS will automatically free up old in-use RAM for newly opened programs as needed. So, if you only have 50MB of free RAM and you open up a game that requires 500MB, it will free up the necessary RAM automatically while the game loads so it can have it.

Your action is unnecessary in this regard.

• Reply 199 of 236
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    FB admit it's a audio session issue.
  • Reply 200 of 236
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    FB admit it's a audio session issue.
    Plus some other things they've yet to resolve.