What's the scientific explanation for this?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44

Hi Friends, anyone tell me which scientific explanation is going here ?

• Reply 42 of 44
    I assume this happens to everybody, and i'm wondering exactly why. There's gotta be a concrete explanation.

Right now, I just woke up from a two hour nap, and i'm listening to a song. The song sounds about 50% faster than it would if I had just come in from a run, or from playing a fast moving sports game. The speed of music varies based on whether i've been passive, or active. It seems that if my mind is moving slowly, the music sounds fast, and if my brain is moving quickly, the music sounds slow. But how does that actually happen? Isn't my identity/personality the one who is "hearing" the song, and identifying it as the same song that I heard before? How come it sounds so much faster sometimes, and much slower at other times?

Not only does the beat of the song seem to be rushing along like someone in dire need of getting somewhere, but the minutes are sliding by at an incredible pace as well. The song just sort of starts, and then ends, and I feel like I sort of missed it because of the speed at which it was moving.

It's not THAT extreme, but it's definetaly relevant. The playback speed of the song right now, seems at least 50% faster than it did when I was listening to it while walking earlier. Before it sounded like it could use a speed up, and now it feels extremely up beat.

What is the scientific explanation for this? Is there one?

Thanks
    believe it or not i have this exact same problem, especially from waking up. Throughout the day if im listening to music, they all sound at their normal intended pace. Bur for example when I was mowing the grass today it was extremely hot and I was moving a lot,  I was also listening to a song that is normally fast paced at the same time ,but the song did sound about 50% slower, but I still dont know why. Its definitely not a concentration problem I'm sure. 
  • Reply 43 of 44
    I assume this happens to everybody, and i'm wondering exactly why. There's gotta be a concrete explanation.

Right now, I just woke up from a two hour nap, and i'm listening to a song. The song sounds about 50% faster than it would if I had just come in from a run, or from playing a fast moving sports game. The speed of music varies based on whether i've been passive, or active. It seems that if my mind is moving slowly, the music sounds fast, and if my brain is moving quickly, the music sounds slow. But how does that actually happen? Isn't my identity/personality the one who is "hearing" the song, and identifying it as the same song that I heard before? How come it sounds so much faster sometimes, and much slower at other times?

Not only does the beat of the song seem to be rushing along like someone in dire need of getting somewhere, but the minutes are sliding by at an incredible pace as well. The song just sort of starts, and then ends, and I feel like I sort of missed it because of the speed at which it was moving.

It's not THAT extreme, but it's definetaly relevant. The playback speed of the song right now, seems at least 50% faster than it did when I was listening to it while walking earlier. Before it sounded like it could use a speed up, and now it feels extremely up beat.

What is the scientific explanation for this? Is there one?

Thanks
    This happens to me too. It usually happens late at night or when I'm very tired. Not sure about the science behind it, but I assume it is the "marijuana effect" where your body is relaxed and time seems to feel rushed as a result