Apple ceases iOS 9.0.2 code signing after iOS 9.1 release

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

I am fine with it.

There is no reason for me even to think about spending time to downgrade something.

• Reply 22 of 29
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I really wish Apple would stop doing this. Sometimes there's a really good reason why someone wants to go back to a previous version. Updates very often break something that was previously working fine, or take away a feature that you really liked. I can go back several versions in OS X, I should be able to do the same in iOS.

Wrong. The essence of life is "change." Something is either expanding, or it's contracting—it never stays the same. iOS is continuously expanding and improving. Move on or move out.

That's a ridiculous statement.  There are many times an OS doesn't get updated for ages around here for good reasons.   Many people feel the Podcast app has taken two eye candy steps up and five functional steps back.  Fortunately, I didn't jump on 9 with my mini, so that has become my Podcast device of choice.  A far better experience than my devices on 9.0.2.  Some things on 9 are better that don't affect me, some do and some negatively.  The mini on 8.3 doesn't benefit enough to go to 9.1 if they're not even signing 9.0.2 much less 8.3.  I appreciate the improvement I've seen with 9.1 over 9.0.2, but that doesn't have anything to do with the benefits of some devices not updating to 9, which was quite the crapshoot for me.

I have three different laptops running three different OS X versions.  Only one gets the latest system.  Fortunately.  It keeps me in business.  You are making a differentiation between OS X and IOS in an area where it doesn't exist, that one should have a few versions running in the wild, the other is so expanding and improving you'd never need anything but the latest version.  Makes no sense.  Well, if Apple was perfect and released only perfect software, maybe.   If I could only run the latest OS X (which because OS X has archiving options not available in IOS) I wouldn't be on Macs.   El Capitan has been roll back city around here.

Apple's not perfect.  But it doesn't matter what the reason for ceasing signing 9.0.2 is.  It doesn't work for most of their users to be dragged into updates that, frankly, are less ready for release than they used to be.  Need to stay ahead of Jailbreakers?  This only points out that Apple doesn't have the programming resources to make a system that can't be broken shortly after its release.  9.1 will be jailbroken in a matter of days (I have no interest in jailbreaking IOS).   Whatever part jailbreaking is of the no-signing decree it's misguided.  Same with security.  To stop signing such a recent system instead of issuing security updates for it speaks volumes about where their money is being spent, if in fact that has much to do with it.   Not allowing the user to legitimately roll back to a previous recent system upon finding out what doesn't fly for you in the latest is the lazy way out and breeds ill will in those who upgrade immediately in good faith.  

8.0.2 I can understand.  9.0.2 is crazy.

• Reply 23 of 29
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EffGee View Post

"I really wish Apple would stop doing this. Sometimes there's a really good reason why someone wants to go back to a previous version."

Amen.

?Since moving to iOS9, then to its successor, my iPad 2 Air, in Safari, will not open the comments on NYT, WP, et al. A really high-powered tech guy on Apple support couldn't help me via phone, told me he'd research it, but eventually came back to tell me he had been unable to find a solution.

So, NYT has a bug, and you blame Apple? I'm pretty Apple didn't write any of those apps....

• Reply 24 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No, no there isn’t. You just haven’t taken the time to figure out what YOU did to cause it. As with all complaints like yours the vast majority of users are not having battery issues with iOS 9.1.

99% of the times its an App, or a setting.

I think doing a backup of the apps and doing a clean install should be done once in a while; seems to help.

Old devices in particular should look at the settings with updating.

• Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Wrong. The essence of life is "change." Something is either expanding, or it's contracting—it never stays the same. iOS is continuously expanding and improving. Move on or move out.

Yes, in the universe, statis doesn't exist, entropy destroys you continously; so, you build/repair yourself to keep it at pay.

Same thing in business; stagnation is a death sentence. And in tech, death can come quick.

• Reply 26 of 29

Thank you, Foggy Hill:

"So, NYT has a bug, and you blame Apple? I'm pretty Apple didn't write any of those apps...."

I'm not using an app, I'm using Safari.

And not just NYT, when I use Safari, any web page that allows comments, e.g., WP (Washington Post).

But note: when I use Safari in Chrome, I'm able to access comments.

• Reply 27 of 29
    Blocking jailbreakers is rather pointless since most users don't jailbreak. People who do will always find a way. On OSX people effectively are jailbreakers. You can allow installation from any unknown sources.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    jlandd wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous statement.  There are many times an OS doesn't get updated for ages around here for good reasons.   Many people feel the Podcast app has taken two eye candy steps up and five functional steps back.  Fortunately, I didn't jump on 9 with my mini, so that has become my Podcast device of choice.  A far better experience than my devices on 9.0.2.  Some things on 9 are better that don't affect me, some do and some negatively.  The mini on 8.3 doesn't benefit enough to go to 9.1 if they're not even signing 9.0.2 much less 8.3.  I appreciate the improvement I've seen with 9.1 over 9.0.2, but that doesn't have anything to do with the benefits of some devices not updating to 9, which was quite the crapshoot for me.

I have three different laptops running three different OS X versions.  Only one gets the latest system.  Fortunately.  It keeps me in business.  You are making a differentiation between OS X and IOS in an area where it doesn't exist, that one should have a few versions running in the wild, the other is so expanding and improving you'd never need anything but the latest version.  Makes no sense.  Well, if Apple was perfect and released only perfect software, maybe.   If I could only run the latest OS X (which because OS X has archiving options not available in IOS) I wouldn't be on Macs.   El Capitan has been roll back city around here.

Apple's not perfect.  But it doesn't matter what the reason for ceasing signing 9.0.2 is.  It doesn't work for most of their users to be dragged into updates that, frankly, are less ready for release than they used to be.  Need to stay ahead of Jailbreakers?  This only points out that Apple doesn't have the programming resources to make a system that can't be broken shortly after its release.  9.1 will be jailbroken in a matter of days (I have no interest in jailbreaking IOS).   Whatever part jailbreaking is of the no-signing decree it's misguided.  Same with security.  To stop signing such a recent system instead of issuing security updates for it speaks volumes about where their money is being spent, if in fact that has much to do with it.   Not allowing the user to legitimately roll back to a previous recent system upon finding out what doesn't fly for you in the latest is the lazy way out and breeds ill will in those who upgrade immediately in good faith.  

8.0.2 I can understand.  9.0.2 is crazy.
    You make my point. No amount of yammering will keep you and your kind from sadly fading away in our rearview mirrors as we continue expanding into newer and better hardware and software.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    danielsw wrote: »
    jlandd wrote: »
    You make my point. No amount of yammering will keep you and your kind from sadly fading away in our rearview mirrors as we continue expanding into newer and better hardware and software.

Lol. Me and my kind. So tell me, how's running your business on El Capitan going? And I'm glad you think it's more important for IOS to have emojis than a flawless mail app, but hey, you've got your priorities.