Rumor: Apple to unveil redesigned MacBook Airs, new 15" model at WWDC 2016

1356

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 111
    calicali Posts: 3,495member
    jawadde wrote: »

    even reading this is confusing, let alone explaining to a non-experienced buyer what their best choice is. I've bene using macs professionally for 20 years and still find it hard at the moment to choose a new laptop for my teenage kids ! 

    It is confusing.

    "Air" is Apple's thin and light name. The reason the MacBook is lighter is because the Airs haven't been updated since then.

    If they do choose to discontinue the "11 model the reason is obvious. They expect iPad Pro to take over that segment and expect it to surpass it's power soon.
  • Reply 42 of 111
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member

    Folks, it's Monday.  

    It's clockwork...almost every Monday, there's a rumoured Apple product.

     

    Get some big page views early to meet weekly quota.

  • Reply 43 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Another reason I think the Air is on it's way out....the new Mac is simply called MacBook. It paves the way for a simplified lineup of MacBook and MacBook Pro - one mobile and more portable one with more ports and power. In fact I wish Apple would ditch the iPad Air/mini names and just have iPad and iPad Pro. Much cleaner naming conventions.
  • Reply 44 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,671member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

     

    The distinction between MB and MBA is just confusing. To the non-Apple fan, but simply Apple user, the MB seems to be the MBA. All people I know don't get the difference. And I don't get it either.




    The MacBook is thinner and lighter with less ports and less power. Eventually I see the MacBook Air replacing the MBP in Apple's lineup. I think it would make far more sense for MacBook to be 12", MBA to be 14" and MBP to be 16" if they want to continue selling it.

  • Reply 45 of 111
    irelandireland Posts: 17,671member

    Quote:

     

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Apple announce the MacBook Air in January 2008. They kept selling the MacBook into 2011.



    The MacBook Air will eventually be discontinued imo.

     

    I disagree. You're thinking like a geek. Apple doesn't think or operator like that. What you're describing is a future you want, not one Apple wants IMO.

    sarges
  • Reply 46 of 111
    ireland wrote: »
    I disagree. You're thinking like a geek. Apple doesn't think or operator like that. What you're describing is a future you want, not one Apple wants IMO.

    It amazes me how many comments come from the vantage point of "This is what I want/I have no use for this…," instead of "This is what I think is best for Apple's bottom line/I think Apple's objective is to…"
  • Reply 47 of 111
    I hope Tim Cook is listening to some of the gnashing of teeth in these comments.

    Apple now has four different lines of laptop: MacBook Pro, MacBook MacBook Air, and the new iPad Pro (declared a laptop replacement by Tim himself).

    All these laptops are basically in the same $1000-2000 price range that Apple likes to be in. All are within a few millimeters of thickness. All are powerful.

    And with each revision every line is converging on incredibly thin and more power than you could ever need. MacBook power will go up. MacBook Pro thickness will go down. Etc.

    Four distinct lines in this increasingly small space is confusing.

    Tim, please get rid of two of these lines. Leave the iPad Pro and MacBook (adding a 15" version with pro features).

    In the past Steve Jobs dramatically simplified the product line. I recall the quadrangle of laptops and desktops.

    At that time Apple's survival and customer confusion were at risk. The survival problem involved engineering so many products that were so similar, each of which would sell less than a single, great product.

    Today Apple's survival is not at issue. But making great products is.

    Apple is at its best when it creates a single product they put everything they can imagine into. The iPad is THE tablet. The iPhone is THE phone. And the Apple Watch is THE watch.

    Yes, each line comes in two to three sizes and colors. But each line is clearly a singular force.

    It's time for Apple to return their laptops to a state of simplicity and focus.
    coverto
  • Reply 48 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ireland wrote: »
    I disagree. You're thinking like a geek. Apple doesn't think or operator like that. What you're describing is a future you want, not one Apple wants IMO.

    The pro name means something when it comes to Macs. If Apple ditches the pro moniker it will further solidify in some peoples minds that Apple is abandoning the professional market. What benefit is there to abandoning the pro moniker?
  • Reply 49 of 111
    djacopille wrote: »
    Apple now has four different lines of laptop: MacBook Pro, MacBook MacBook Air, and the new iPad Pro (declared a laptop replacement by Tim himself).

    I agree with that premise.
    Four distinct lines in this increasingly small space is confusing.

    Tim, please get rid of two of these lines. Leave the iPad Pro and MacBook (adding a 15" version with pro features).

    I disagree with that premise for the same I disagree with iOS only being on two size devices and not more.
    It's time for Apple to return their laptops to a state of simplicity and focus.

    I think that could be the very reason the MacBook came back as a brand, but I think the outcome will very different than reducing the number of products per brand. I think you were closer when you mentioned how they are all in the $1000-2000 range. I think the costs are too close together which makes it confusing on choosing a new MacBook with some great new features over a 13" MBP, which likely is better for the average customer even if it's not the newest. With the MBAs not being Retina that causes potential issues because you need to see if display v power is the most important, as well as keyboard size. I don't think I'd ever get used to the 12" MacBook's keyboard if two weeks as my main machine didn't do it.
  • Reply 50 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    It amazes me how many comments come from the vantage point of "This is what I want/I have no use for this…," instead of "This is what I think is best for Apple's bottom line/I think Apple's objective is to…"

    My comments could hardly be considered what I want since I don't even own a Mac. I think it's silly for Apple to have three laptop lines. I think it makes most sense for the Air to be discontinued so you'd have MacBook for average consumers and MacBook Pro for people who need more ports and power. This is what I think is best for Apple. Get rid of the clutter and confusion and simplify product lines. And like I said I think they should do the same thing with iPad. There is no real difference between the mini and the Air. Everybody knows now iPads are super thin and light. We don't need a specific naming convention to tell us that. Just have iPad and iPad Pro. Much less clutter and confusion.
  • Reply 51 of 111
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    Buy a rMBP. It makes zero sense for Apple to add retina to the MBA when the rMBP exists. This rumor makes zero sense. The only thing the MBA got this year was a spec bump. If Apple was planning to keep the line around how come only the rMBP and rMB got the new trackpads? Also this rumor says these redesigned Airs will be coming out at WWDC. Seriously? PC OEMs are releasing Skylake devices right now. Dell just updated their XPS lines. I'm highly skeptical that Apple will wait 7 months to update Macs with Skylake. Plus the past two WWDC's have been hardware free and now with iOS, OS X, watchOS, tvOS, 3D Touch, iPad Pro and Apple Pencil I think Apple can easily fill up two hours just talking software updates.



    My guess is it's the Pros being redesigned and we may see them announced at a Q1 event.

    There's two ways of looking at this;

     

    1.   As you say, it's probably the 13" & 15" rMBP's being redesigned  OR

    2.  There will be 13" & 15" additions to the rMB line

     

    Either way the MBA is Dead Man Walking

  • Reply 52 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    There's two ways of looking at this;

    1.   As you say, it's probably the 13" & 15" rMBP's being redesigned  OR
    2.  There will be 13" & 15" additions to the rMB line

    Either way the MBA is Dead Man Walking

    Yes and considering the MacBook Pro got the new trackpad but the MacBook Air did not signals to me which one is on the way out. Hopefully the classic MacBook is out the door too.
  • Reply 53 of 111
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Another reason I think the Air is on it's way out....the new Mac is simply called MacBook. It paves the way for a simplified lineup of MacBook and MacBook Pro - one mobile and more portable one with more ports and power. In fact I wish Apple would ditch the iPad Air/mini names and just have iPad and iPad Pro. Much cleaner naming conventions.

    "In fact I wish Apple would ditch the iPad Air/mini names and just have iPad and iPad Pro."

     

    Agreed.  I would love for them to do the same with the iPhone - iPhone & iPhone Plus.

  • Reply 54 of 111
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    "In fact I wish Apple would ditch the iPad Air/mini names and just have iPad and iPad Pro."

    Agreed.  I would love for them to do the same with the iPhone - iPhone & iPhone Plus.

    Yes and get rid of the numbering scheme.
  • Reply 55 of 111
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,482member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by portcity View Post





    The MacBook is Apple's lightest laptop and includes a Retina display. The MacBook Air is Apple's 2nd lightest laptop and doesn't include a Retina display. It's Apple most affordable laptop and has the best battery life of all their laptops. It is also more powerful then the MacBook.



    The Air made some sense when there was a market for a very thin and lightweight laptop.  At the time, the MBP was much thicker and heavier than the Air.   The MacBook and the MBP are now so thin and relatively light that I really don't think the MacBook Air is necessary anymore.   It seems to me that the market for an Air has been pretty much divided between a Pad and the other Mac laptops with the exception of those who are searching for a Mac with the lowest price possible.

     

    Since Mac sales are now a relatively small part of Apple, it seems to me they don't really need three lines of laptops, especially if they can get the price down a bit on the MacBook to match the price of the Airs.   But if they can't and the architecture of the Air is the only way to get a $900/$1000 Mac, then I suppose they need to keep it.   On the other hand, if they intend to raise the price of the next gen Air, then I see no reason to keep it.  But even if they keep the models, it could still be just two lines.   In thinking about it as a line, what's the difference between the Mac Book and the Air?  Just price and the fact that the Air doesn't have Retina or Force Touch.   But it seems to me that the next Airs would have to have both, no?   If they do, there's almost no difference aside from the 11.6" screen size on the smaller model of the Air. 

  • Reply 56 of 111
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,449member
    rogifan wrote: »
    My comments could hardly be considered what I want since I don't even own a Mac. I think it's silly for Apple to have three laptop lines. I think it makes most sense for the Air to be discontinued so you'd have MacBook for average consumers and MacBook Pro for people who need more ports and power. This is what I think is best for Apple. Get rid of the clutter and confusion and simplify product lines. And like I said I think they should do the same thing with iPad. There is no real difference between the mini and the Air. Everybody knows now iPads are super thin and light. We don't need a specific naming convention to tell us that. Just have iPad and iPad Pro. Much less clutter and confusion.

    So much concern for Apple, with so many ways on how to improve Apple, despite not even owning the product.
  • Reply 57 of 111
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,449member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    "In fact I wish Apple would ditch the iPad Air/mini names and just have iPad and iPad Pro."

    Agreed.  I would love for them to do the same with the iPhone - iPhone & iPhone Plus.

    Here's the thing, Apple's customers understand those terms. They make very clear marketing differentiation, and Apple's customer base is so broad and consumer driven now that simple clear terms make it easier for the customer to grasp.
  • Reply 58 of 111
    The Air will stagnate like the original iPod did...the Macbook is the way forward. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a 14" Macbook.

    Looking forward to the 13/15" MBP redesign next year. My 2010 MBP is ready for an update.
  • Reply 59 of 111
    jakebjakeb Posts: 557member
    Prediction: now that the Macbook is lighter than the Air, they'll make the Pro the same weight as the current air with retina faster specs and then phase out the Air.

    Doesn't make sense to have something called the "Air" not be the lightest thinnest model. And how could you possibly go lighter thinner than the new Macbook?
  • Reply 60 of 111
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by schlack View Post



    The Air will stagnate like the original iPod did...the Macbook is the way forward. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a 14" Macbook.



    Looking forward to the 13/15" MBP redesign next year. My 2010 MBP is ready for an update.

    If it's the 13" & 15" rMBP that are being redesigned, then yes, I can see the addition of a 14" rMB to the line-up.  

Sign In or Register to comment.