GoPro shares surge more than 10% after Apple acquisition speculation

Posted:
in General Discussion
Shares of action cam maker GoPro jumped 16% on Thursday after market analysts speculated that the company may be an acquisition target for Apple.

GoPro shares opened at $17.25 and rose as high as $19.56 on Thursday before closing at $18.83. The spike began when FBR Capital Markets and Co. research analyst Daniel Ives listed GoPro as a potential strategic acquisition for Apple in 2016, saying a GoPro purchase would "make sense" for the Cupertino company.

"We believe GoPro would fit like a glove into the Apple product portfolio," Ives commented in an email to MarketWatch.

Prior to the suggestion from Ives, GoPro shares were down 82% from their all-time high of $93.85 in October 2014. Shares fell below the $24 IPO price in November.

At the close of business Thursday, GoPro had a market capitalization of $2.6 billion, while Apple had more than $200 billion in cash reserves. The companies have worked together closely in the past, with Apple Stores stocking a range of GoPro products and GoPro working to support Apple's entire ecosystem,
now including the Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    As a one horse wonder, I don't see the value of acquiring go pro from a technology perspective. Apple could easily do what go pro is doing on their own for a fraction of the cost. Where it might make sense is adding another successful brand, like Beats. As Apple grows, it may make strategic sense to go to market with a more diverse portfolio of high value brands as opposed to everything under the Apple logo. This allows the core to remain focused, while better cultivating and monetizing the ecosystem.
    edited December 2015 icoco3jahblade
  • Reply 2 of 31
    I really don't see a need for this purchase. 
    mike1
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Why, oh why would Apple buy Go Pro????

There simply is no reason for Apple to buy Go Pro.

Besides, Go Pro is getting killed by clones from other companies, including cheap Chinese knock offs.

Go Pro does not add any new technology that improves Apple's products.

There is nothing that Go Pro can do since all it is is a simple camera.

In fact, Apple has all the technology to replicate anything Go Pro can do.  Apple already uses Sony cameras on its iPhones.  All Apple has to do is to create a box, add a Sony camera, add a battery and storage then voila! a Go Pro clone.

In fact, the iPhone can already be mounted and do what Go Pro can do.

yojimbo007
  • Reply 4 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This kind of manipulation should be illegal. Any swinging proboscis can start a rumor to make a stock jump up or down. Why is this legal?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Wow, talk about an insanely stupid speculation. GoPro offers Apple NOTHING they can't do vastly better themselves.

Or perhaps Jonny has become enamored of crappy little video boxes mounted on helmets like giant cyber-warts? Jonny: "OMG that looks so futuristic!" — ha!

Or maybe Apple's entire video production staff has finally thrown in the towel on video quality. Epileptic video fragments are the new, um, black or something...?

One thing you can be sure of: the Ives guy just made a ton of money manipulating the market.
    jackansi
  • Reply 6 of 31
    The GoPro cameras are the opposite of convenient and easy to use. They're great tools but hardly a user-friendly consumer product. Apple is already on the leading edge of digital camera design, so what would they be getting out of such a deal beyond the brand? Which brings us the the bigger question: Who the hell is "research analyst Daniel Ives" and what's his track record on making unsubstantiated predictions about Apple?
  • Reply 7 of 31
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Can't imagine how this could benefit Apple, its customers or shareholders. GoPro is a one-trick pony with a niche product.

Apple missed one critical acquisition opportunity and that was Nest.
    edited December 2015 jackansi
  • Reply 8 of 31
    I can see value in them purchasing the company. It's not just about optics. it's about getting into the wearable/action/sport sphere. The brands align nicely.

Frankly, for me, it has at least as much justification than Beats.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    mike1 said:
    Can't imagine how this could benefit Apple, its customers or shareholders. GoPro is a one-trick pony with a niche product.

Apple missed one critical acquisition opportunity and that was Nest.
    Yes and no. The thermostat was good but the smoke detector had to be removed and reengineered because of significant issues. That put a dent in their development skills as far as I'm concerned.

I have a Nest thermostat but don't have a Nest account anymore and won't be buying any of their new products.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Apple will NOT buy GoPro.
    They could easily out gun GoPro in-house if they wanted to.

These anal-ysts are hyping the stock so that they can take profit at the end of the year before the potential tax hike.

• Reply 11 of 31
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    If you use the perspective that "Apple can do it themselves", then almost every acquisition Apple has ever made wouldn't have made sense.   The point of such an acquisition is to take a competitor off of the market, to get to market faster with a known brand and to use their technology in other products. 

While GoPro stock is way down and they're apparently having problems, they created a totally new market for action cameras from scratch.   And the profits might not even be in the camera itself, but in all the accessories.   Go into some physical camera stores and see all the space devoted to GoPro and its accessories.  It's actually quite impressive.   

Cost aside (and I think with all the cash Apple has sitting around, cost is not really a factor),  I think this actually could be a good acquisition for Apple (certainly better than Beats was).  Much tighter integration between GoPro and Apple's products could benefit both companies.   

I participate in a Nikon forum and one of the things I've said there is that Nikon missed the boat on pro-video, action cameras (except for their one waterproof point-and-shoot) and drone cameras.    GoPro and the Drone companies have proven that there are consumer markets to replace the ever-declining point-and-shoot market (which itself has been killed by smartphone cameras) and Canon has proven that there's a strong market for pro-level video.  

On the other hand, Apple could take the basics of an iPod Touch (with WiFi), put it in a new waterproof and shockproof case and create mounts and accessories for it to do what GoPro already does or have the equivalent of a GoPro camera that works with an existing iPhone the same way as the Apple Watch works with the iPhone.  But they might have to get over their thinness obsession to make it all work. 

But having said all that, I think the rumor is b.s.   
  • Reply 12 of 31
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    The only good thing about them from Apple's point of view is name recognition...maybe.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    The value of GoPro is in it's name and it's patents. A company like Apple can't just build a "Chinese knockoff" without major lawsuits.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Those "analysts" should be investigated for stock manipulation. I'd like to know if they or their clients bought or sold GoPro stock during this baseless rumor being floated.
    icoco3badmonk
  • Reply 15 of 31
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    zoetmb said:
    If you use the perspective that "Apple can do it themselves", then almost every acquisition Apple has ever made wouldn't have made sense.   The point of such an acquisition is to take a competitor off of the market, to get to market faster with a known brand and to use their technology in other products. 

Most of Apple's acquisitions in the past 15 years, with the exception of Beats, has been about acquiring technology from small focused firms, and for relatively small amounts of money (sub $500M, and most smaller than that).  Again, with the exception of Beats, Apple hasn't done acquisitions to take a competitor off the market, to go to market with a different brand.
    retrogusto
  • Reply 16 of 31
    I'll but the Garmin before buying another GoPro.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    I don't get the negativity towards GoPro. Their cameras are much more advanced then some lens in a small square box. I think GoPro would actually be a good fit for Apple. GoPro has a lot of good patented technology in their cameras. Quite a few of GoPro's patents would actually be good for iPhone cameras. GoPro has several patents related to how their camera sensors work, patents for image processing, etc. All of GoPro's camera housings and mounts are patented. GoPro is not a niche product as some claim. GoPro has 30% of the digital video camera market. GoPro is seeing huge growth overseas. It looks like GoPro will soon be entering the billion dollar drone market, which is expected to reach 2 billion in 2016. 
  • Reply 18 of 31
    This would be a bad move full stop.... Especially when you have competition like this http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/29/xiaomi-yi-camera-versus-gopro-hero/
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Apple should buy Netflix instead.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I don't get the negativity towards GoPro. Their cameras are much more advanced then some lens in a small square box. I think GoPro would actually be a good fit for Apple. GoPro has a lot of good patented technology in their cameras. Quite a few of GoPro's patents would actually be good for iPhone cameras. GoPro has several patents related to how their camera sensors work, patents for image processing, etc. All of GoPro's camera housings and mounts are patented. GoPro is not a niche product as some claim. GoPro has 30% of the digital video camera market. GoPro is seeing huge growth overseas. It looks like GoPro will soon be entering the billion dollar drone market, which is expected to reach 2 billion in 2016. 
    GoPro has a total of 56 patents to their name.  $3B would be quite the premium IMO.