Apple registers apple.car, apple.auto and apple.cars domain names

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

lkrupp said:
    And you can bet the farm that an Apple car will not be powered by hydrocarbon based fuel.
    If it uses electricity, sure, it will be. Less of it compared to an ICE, but it's impossible not to be powered by fossil fuels.
    Can you explain that?  I agree most  re-charching is done currently from the grid which is heavily fossil fuel based but I assume you are not ruling out alternatives for the future?
  • Reply 42 of 47
    lkrupp said:
    And you can bet the farm that an Apple car will not be powered by hydrocarbon based fuel.
    If it uses electricity, sure, it will be. Less of it compared to an ICE, but it's impossible not to be powered by fossil fuels.
    Unless the electricity is generated by hydro, nuclear power, wind, solar energy, or any of the myriad of other non-fossil fuel technologies for making electrons dance in wires.
    palomine
  • Reply 43 of 47
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    atlapple said:
    When you say Apple is going to make its own car, my question is on what level.

1. Is Apple going to build and open their own manufacturing plants?
    2. Will Apple have their own certified parts for an Apple car?
    3. Will there be Apple dealerships with authorized service centers that can fully service and Apple car?

If a company is truly going to build their own car they are going to need at the very least a place to mass produce it, parts and a place to buy and have the car serviced. 

A mass production self diving car is even more of a joke. A car that is going to be put on an infrastructure where there is no communication between the two and unable to communicate with the other cars around it. If you plan on test driving a car like that do yourself a favor go on Costco.com and preorder a casket for same day delivery, your going to need it. 

Now if your talking about Apple slapping their badge on a car built by someone else and driving it only on a controlled test track, then yeah that could happen. 
    1. No. They're going to contract out production.
    2. Yes.
    3. Apple won't operate through dealerships.
    1. In the case of Apple mobile devices, its contract plants use Apple-exclusive machines and techniques to build product exclusively for Apple. There are few if any merchant automobile assembly plants. It is difficult to see how Apple can avoid building its own assembly plants.
    2. Agreed. Absolutely.
    3. For years, Tesla has been fighting the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) and the governments that support it and its members. On the other hand, Apple has historically fought its battles over product. When conflicts arose such as the music industry's objections to the iPod or Taylor Swift's reject of Apple Music, Apple worked out agreements to the mutual benefit of all. I can't see Apple getting into a p*ss*ng contest with the NADA and its membership. The fight could take years to change law in all of the jurisdictions to allow company stores. I expect that Apple would enter into partnerships with local and regional dealers and dealership groups.

• Reply 44 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Np way is Apple going to build cars in China to sell in the US. You don't take the process of assembling an iPhone and slap it on a car. Apple very well may use a contract manufacturer but it won't be Foxconn.
    A lot of the contract manufacturers for cars are already in the US/Canada/Europe and volumes are way lower (need less manpower) and I'm guessing less spikey, so they undoubtably will do final assembly in the US. The electronics though would probably come from their existing operations oversees.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    foggyhill said:
    Np way is Apple going to build cars in China to sell in the US. You don't take the process of assembling an iPhone and slap it on a car. Apple very well may use a contract manufacturer but it won't be Foxconn.
    A lot of the contract manufacturers for cars are already in the US/Canada/Europe and volumes are way lower (need less manpower) and I'm guessing less spikey, so they undoubtably will do final assembly in the US. The electronics though would probably come from their existing operations oversees.
    I'm sure parts would come from a lot of places. But as you say the volumes would be low enough that Apple wouldn't need hundreds of thousands of employees to assemble. I think it's wrong for people to apply iPhone manufacturing to assembling a car. 
  • Reply 46 of 47
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    foggyhill said:
    Which automobile brands are produced by contract assembly plants in North America?
  • Reply 47 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mr. me said:
    foggyhill said:

Which automobile brands are produced by contract assembly plants in North America?
    Another person who can't use google.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Trends/Contract-auto-manufacturing-accelerates-in-US

Really tiresome.

In Europe, Magna for example produces 200K cars for BMW and Mercedes.